Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I've decided..., my next major 914 roadtrip.
Rusty
post Nov 2 2003, 09:15 AM
Post #1

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I have a picture album of my 914, and when I cross a state line for the first time, I snap a picture at the sign that says "Welcome to Wherever". The only state that I think I'm going to have a problem with is Hawaii - since you can't exactly drive there.

However, next year is 2004, so I'm starting to plan my next major roadtrip for then. I was thinking about driving to Alaska and back.

Anyone actually made that trek through the bear and wolf infested wilderness?

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

P.S. This post will probably make someone's head spin around... cause I think they might rather go to Vegas or New Orleans.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 2 2003, 09:34 AM
Post #2

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Group: Members
Member No.: 378

save the alcan for the suv's and motor homes. drive to washington and ferry the car up from vancouver, enjoy the inside passage with the beverage of your choise. then you can get oregon, wa, and canada. believe me you do not want to need a cv joint in the wilderness. i've heard horror stories of people needing parts for a chevy or a ford. consider yourself 2 weeks from anywhere.

kevin
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 2 2003, 09:52 AM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Ontario, Canada has more wilderness, lakes, fishing and camping then one would ever need.

Plus you get about $1.50 worth of stuff for every greenback you spend.

Any member passing through my area is welcome to pitch a tent on my property. Hell, I'll even provide the tent (trailer) if you need it. I'm 10 minutes from Rice Lake and the Trent Canal system and 30 minutes from the Kawartha Lakes tourist region. I live about 1 hour east of Toronto. Be warned Ontario is huge 30+hours straight drive west to east.

Also 3 1/2 hours further east and your in Quebec, almost like driving to France. Quebecers are not as snotty as the french, well maybe a little bit, but the sights and food are worth it.

Mark
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Nov 2 2003, 10:21 AM
Post #4

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

Mark, I didn't realise Port Hope was so close to the Kawartha lakes area. My wife and I rented a houseboat there in September (for the second time) and it was great. We cruised to Lake Simcoe this time (from Pigeon lake) and to Peterborough the first time. Beautiful country!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Nov 2 2003, 11:51 AM
Post #5

save the alcan for the suv's and motor homes. drive to washington and ferry the car up from vancouver, enjoy the inside passage with the beverage of your choise. then you can get oregon, wa, and canada. believe me you do not want to need a cv joint in the wilderness. i've heard horror stories of people needing parts for a chevy or a ford. consider yourself 2 weeks from anywhere.

I agree and understand about the wilderness issues - that's part of the reason I want to do it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Besides - the goal isn't to get to Canada. That's not a State in the US (contrary to what many American's might think, given our public schools.) The goal is to drive to Alaska. Canada is just in the way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Also, I'm thinking of this as a "training exercize" for my planned trip to drive to Guatemala. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)

+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 2 2003, 11:59 AM
Post #6

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Rusty, listen to me, the disease that makes you like 914s is spreading.

Have you started hanging Fran Tarkenton posters in your garage?

M
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Nov 2 2003, 12:15 PM
Post #7

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Take the ferry as rhodyguy recomended. I had a buddy do that route (driving) about 5 years ago. He had to replace 3 tires on a 3 yr old motorhome. All that your going to miss by taking the ferry is mile after mile of trees. There isn't even telephone poles to break up the scenery. Cellphones don't work for most of the route and if you need a part for your car (even a tire) it will have to be flown in for big $$. Add that to having your car towed to the closest outpost (more big $$) can put a dent in any bank account.

If you are going to drive it, practice by stareing at a picture of trees & rocks for hours on end.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 2 2003, 12:24 PM
Post #8

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Nov 2 2003, 08:21 AM)
Mark, I didn't realise Port Hope was so close to the Kawartha lakes area. My wife and I rented a houseboat there in September (for the second time) and it was great. We cruised to Lake Simcoe this time (from Pigeon lake) and to Peterborough the first time. Beautiful country!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Curvie,
Did you stay on the Pigeon Lake sandbar? We were out there swimming twice this summer. Mom and Dad live in Peter-patch (Peterborough), I'm 25min. south of it.

Lake Scugog or Lake Simcoe? Scugog would only be 1 or 2 locks from Pigeon. Simcoe might be a couple of dozen locks (and almost a week) away by boat.

Anyways if you or any member comes out this way the door is always open.

Mark
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Nov 2 2003, 12:45 PM
Post #9

Take the ferry as rhodyguy recomended.

I feel like not driving kind of dilutes the spirit of the trip. But...

Can I get to Alaska if I take the ferry? How much does it cost, and how long is the trip?

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 2 2003, 01:54 PM
Post #10

that's what I do!

I think the ferry goes from Seattle to Vancouver BC, there will still be a major (as in huge) drive to Alaska.

There are a lot of gravel roads in that neck of the woods. Logging trucks don't slow down, so make sure you have good windsheild replacement insurance and you may need a new paint job when you get back.

In other words check your route carefully.
+Quote Post
fiid
post Nov 2 2003, 03:39 PM
Post #11

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

Errrr. It's only 140 miles from Seattle to Vancouver.

Mapquest....
4: Merge onto I-5 N via the ramp- on the left- toward VANCOUVER B.C.. 111.14 miles
5: I-5 N becomes PROVINCIAL ROUTE 99 N. 27.25 miles

I think it's the rest of the way you have to worry about. I don't know about ferrys - I have a friend who did the trip on a Kawasaki Ninja. He say's it was a nightmare because a sport bike isn't really build for the off-road stuff you have to do. I will ask him for more details.

Phillip Greenspun - who is better at atlking about himself than I am, has written an account of an immensely large roadtrip which includes the trip to Alaska - in "Travels with Samantha".

http://www.photo.net/samantha/samantha-VII is the pertainent chapter.

http://www.photo.net/samantha/index is the Travels with Samantha homepage.

http://www.photo.net/travel/long-drives would be his advice for roadtrips.

http://www.photo.net/travel/great-trips/index are a list of roadtrips that he has put together.

http://philip.greenspun.com/ is his homepage if you are interested in learning more about the guy after reading all that shit that he wrote.

I have found this stuff very interesting, and I think that I would not advise this particular trip in a 914 - although - power to you if you try it. 2 914s - that might be a different story.

l8r,

Fiid.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Nov 2 2003, 03:41 PM
Post #12

OFFROAD? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 2 2003, 04:01 PM
Post #13

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Nov 2 2003, 01:41 PM)

Yep.
Some of those northern roads can be brutal.
And if they are doing roadwork large stretches of what they call paved may be gravel.

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore Toto.

I have a pic somewhere of a mint '60's VW westfalia lying on its side. A couple of US guys doing a similar trip, I can't remember if it was to Alaska or the Yukon.

But they did make it out.

P.S. Say if you did by chance blow an engine, it may cost the price of said engine just to ship there. Not to mention a 6-week wait.

Danger Will Robertson, Danger!

But, hay go fer it dood!
+Quote Post
fiid
post Nov 2 2003, 04:20 PM
Post #14

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530

I'd do it in my Subaru in a heatbeat, but that's within kicking distance of being a rally car.

The porsche is really low, and I would say the engine and tranny can be a little bit brittle.

I would take a support car as a minimum. Heck - with 4 people it would be more fun anyways.

Fiid.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 2 2003, 04:27 PM
Post #15

Welp, if you can find three OTHER IDIOTS.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

M
+Quote Post
Pam
post Nov 2 2003, 04:30 PM
Post #16

Unnumbered Lady of 914s

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 756

As the co-pilot for Lawrence's quest to get pictures of the /6 in front of all the 'Welcome to whatever' state signs - maybe I'll just work on contacting the fine folks of Alaska and getting them to send me a sign I can hold up for a picture on the Kansas/Missouri border...

'OFFROAD'???

-Pam
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 2 2003, 04:31 PM
Post #17

Resident German

Member No.: 179

QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 2 2003, 02:27 PM)
Welp, if you can find three OTHER IDIOTS.

i don't think that's going to be a major problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

you need one of those:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Nov 2 2003, 04:33 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 71
Region Association: Southern California

I'm a gonzo trip kinda guy. I would never take a teener on one: I don't think that they're tough enough, well built enough or versatile enough. I would without hesistation take any number of other vintage cars though.

Have I mentioned my trip-in-the-planning-stage Dana Point -> Los Cabos -> La Paz -> car ferry to either Pichilingue or Mazatlan -> down the Mexican Coast through Central America -> ending at Colombia trip? But wait there's more: on a motorcycle. Yeah. Abandon, loose, let get stolen or sell the bike in Colombia and fly home or put it on a slow boat and ship it home. That's why I'm taking spanish next semester at the local CC.

Just freak'n do it and take lots of pictures.

Have fun,
Kevin
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 2 2003, 04:35 PM
Post #19

I like that German "can do" attitude..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) I'll bet that attitude turns into cussing on day 4 of that trip.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Hey, feel like translating an international order for me? (or at least proof-reading?)

I am not sure how to get shipping prices on seats Karl turned us onto a couple months back.

M
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 2 2003, 04:54 PM
Post #20

Resident German

Member No.: 179

QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 2 2003, 02:35 PM)
Hey, feel like translating an international order for me? (or at least proof-reading?)

I am not sure how to get shipping prices on seats Karl turned us onto a couple months back.

talking to me?

if so, sure, keep em coming (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Andy
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 03:26 PM