Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> New Porsche V6..legal for engine swap??, For PCA regions that specify "Porsche"
Mueller
post Oct 18 2003, 10:25 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Hmmmm?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It has been announced that the Cayenne will have a 3.2 liter V6 which is based on the Audi A3 and Golf R32 motor, but with more hp than the other two engines.

247hp instead of 217hp

Installing one of these into a 914 should be pretty easy due to the compactness of the motor (15° V6), so, what are the odds that one would be able to participate in PCA autocross and time trial with such a motor??? (some regions say the car must have a Porsche motor and engine)
Now I think they also say that if it is a motor swap it should still have the "spirit" or somewhat the same configuation as the original car--(no mid engine 911 conversions????)

Notice I say participate and not compete, since I'm guessing that if allowed, you't be put in a class with mega-dollar motors and cubic dollars. (M, K or Z ???)

I think it should be allowed since air-cooled motors all the way up to 3.8 liters are routinly run and those for sure never came from the factory that way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The way I look at it, the /4 are based on VW engines, so why not a Cayenne V6??? Same basic idea (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So, now all we need to do is wait for these motors to start showing up at the wreckers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
brant
post Oct 18 2003, 11:32 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

So I got the new club race mag with the possible rule changes for next year. They have not voted yet on them..

I only skimmed them, but I think one of the new rules says that no air cool car can have a water cool motor transplanted into it without going all the way to GTC (aka 917 and the likes)...

crock o' xxxx

brant
+Quote Post
Scott Carlberg
post Oct 18 2003, 11:57 PM
Post #3

Porsche MOTORSPORTS

Member No.: 580

QUOTE(brant @ Oct 18 2003, 10:32 PM)
I think one of the new rules says that no air cool car can have a water cool motor transplanted into it without going all the way to GTC (aka 917 and the likes)...

so what.

as I recall, there isn't alot of money (read: zero) in club racing.
Isn't club racing supposed to be about having Fun, and gaining experience on the track?

Besides which, if you were put in a class with high hp cars, look at it this way....
lots of clear track time, until the REAlly fast guys come around to pass you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

then again, maybe you'd get to be really fast with a 250hp 914!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge24.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 19 2003, 12:19 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

until the REAlly fast guys come around to pass you!

the problem with this train of thought is that it's dangerous to be too slow out there, look what happened to Chris Foley a few weeks ago when too slow of a car was on the track with him (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

of course even if you had a converted car that can be as fast as a 917, can you drive it at that level out there on the track and not be a danger to yourself or others????

for an auto-x it's no big deal, you are not threat to anyone, heck, you might even win your class everytime since i don't think anyone has auto-x'd a 917 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 19 2003, 05:30 AM
Post #5

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

They let me run and I have a VW engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
fiid
post Oct 19 2003, 12:21 PM
Post #6

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 18 2003, 08:25 PM)
-CHOP-

Installing one of these into a 914 should be pretty easy due to the compactness of the motor (15° V6), so, what are the odds that one would be able to participate in PCA autocross and time trial with such a motor??? (some regions say the car must have a Porsche motor and engine)

Now I think they also say that if it is a motor swap it should still have the "spirit" or somewhat the same configuation as the original car--(no mid engine 911 conversions????)

Notice I say participate and not compete, since I'm guessing that if allowed, you't be put in a class with mega-dollar motors and cubic dollars. (M, K or Z ???)

I think it should be allowed since air-cooled motors all the way up to 3.8 liters are routinly run and those for sure never came from the factory that way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-CHOP-

No shit! 911s never came with 3.8s. So as far as I'm concerned thats as non-factory as a subaru motor.

The porsche club around here will let you compete with any all-porsche combination. Of course, a 944 powered 914 is factory, right?? *COUGH*

In autocross you can run anything as long as it's not a toolbox^H^H^H^H^HNissan Xterra or something like to roll over. You need to be a pca member to run a non-porsche car, but I think you could run any conversion of 914 without being a member.

Time trial is a different story - you cannot run unless you are in a class - and with a non-porsche motor you are not in a class.

It's a big shame because the PCA is a great club, and I would love to do their time trial stuff, but I just don't want the weightor expense of a 6 or the expense and hassle of building a big 4. The subaru motors are cheap, extremely powerful and light. Can't believe porsche didn't build them :-)

You will be fine as long as all your stuff came from porsche, no matter how frankenstein it is.

Fiid.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Oct 19 2003, 04:20 PM
Post #7

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791

Wouldn't it be a real PITA to put this new Porsche V6 water-pumper in your 914?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 19 2003, 04:49 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Wouldn't it be a real PITA to put this new Porsche V6 water-pumper in your 914?

I'd say the biggest pain would to be routing the waterlines and the radiator, all in all, it wouldn't be too different than running oil lines and an oil cooler up front for a big air cooled /6 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 19 2003, 09:40 PM
Post #9

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Why not a Boxster engine?
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Oct 19 2003, 09:49 PM
Post #10

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

why not a twin turbo cayanne S engine? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chatsmiley.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 19 2003, 11:47 PM
Post #11

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Of course, a 944 powered 914 is factory, right?? *COUGH*

I wish it would fit and bolt to the trani! That engine has so much potential... And I have one sitting in my shed!! If only...

On the Cayenne, I think that the boxter s engine (258 hp) would be better, they already are making it, and it is already smog... And it would be cheaper than making a new engine. Perfect for the family with 40k for a new SUV. Maybe less...

As far as a transplat, I'll take an aluminum full race 951 engine (like 50 of em made...).

Andrew
+Quote Post
Hawktel
post Oct 19 2003, 11:52 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 506

Grant SFo, the Boxster engine has some issues. mainly it don't fit right, and you got widen the Trailing arms I've heard. And a number of other things. But I have heard there are atleast 3 in development, or maybe even under construction, somewhere on this site.

Overall I think its "Do able" just bring money.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 20 2003, 12:05 AM
Post #13

914 Freak!

On the Cayenne, I think that the boxter s engine

Andrew, the boxster is a flat 6, the Cayenne uses a V6/V8.......I'm sure they'd love to use a flat motor if it could fit in the front of the engine bay (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I still think the boxster motor will fit in the 914 without modifing the trailing arm mounting tabs....the motor can always be mounted a little closer to the firewall
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Oct 20 2003, 12:26 PM
Post #14

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791

I
I still think the boxster motor will fit in the 914 without modifing the trailing arm mounting tabs....the motor can always be mounted a little closer to the firewall

I believe someone posted a pic once of a 914 that did have a Boxster motor in it.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 20 2003, 12:32 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

I was never sure if that one car really had a boxster engine in it or was he just running a boxster muffler.........the green car from Germany correct??
+Quote Post
seanery
post Oct 20 2003, 12:33 PM
Post #16

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

the picture from the car show?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 20 2003, 12:34 PM
Post #17

914 Freak!

another reason why I like the idea of the new V6 is due to cost....more than likely, there will not be too much of a demand for this motor from wrecked Cayennes, unless the VW and Audi guys start to snatch them up for conversions into earlier cars......

I also believe the aftermarket supports the V3.2 motor more than they do the boxster engine, still pricey for parts, but at least they are available.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 20 2003, 12:35 PM
Post #18

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

It was just a Boxster muffler on a 6cyl 914. They sell converted Boxster mufflers on Ebay for 914's.

Mueller.. PCA will allow you to run anything you want.. you just get thrown into some catch all class.

The tube frame 914 runs in PCA class GTU... nothing exotic shows up for class.

B
+Quote Post
Scott Carlberg
post Oct 20 2003, 01:12 PM
Post #19

Porsche MOTORSPORTS

Member No.: 580

"PCA will allow you to run anything you want.. you just get thrown into some catch
all class."

I was at a GGR time trial last year at Laguna Seca, I asked some guy with the rules
committee(?) if I could run my 914 with the Audi/VW 1.8t motor.

He walked me over to some other guy that had the rule book.
The book said, "Engine: must be Porsche".

I asked, even in an Exhibition class?

Turn to Exhibition class rules, Engine: must be Porsche. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Oct 20 2003, 01:30 PM
Post #20

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Oct 20 2003, 11:12 AM)
"PCA will allow you to run anything you want.. you just get thrown into some catch
all class."

you guys in Zone 7 and 8 at least have the benefit of reasonably consistent rules that apply at most venues you want to run. the only really consistent set of rules within PCA is the Club Racing rules - which are not consistent with the -similar- classifications SCCA uses.

in many other Zones, there is NO broad-based consistency - each Region sets up its own rules when it runs an event.

i haven't studied the TT rules here in the NorthEast (DE, of course, is 'not competitive' and is just about what lap times you can run safely and consistently) but the Riesentöter Region autocross classifications are very broadly based on the Club Race classifications.

so it's hard to say what "PCA" allows unless you're very specifically talking about a National classification structure like Club Race. everything else can and does vary on a Zone- and Region-wide basis. and often at the discretion of the event chair - who may let in 'nonconforming' vehicles if they need the participation entry fee money to make their numbers - or find reasons to exclude cars if an event is oversubscribed ...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 12:14 PM