Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> MegaSquirt ECU location, I'm sittin on WHAT!
3d914
post Nov 3 2003, 12:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

Where did you end up mounting the Megasquirt ECU?

I tried under the passenger seat, but its not going to fit unless I add about 3/8 - 1/2in spacer to the back bracket.

Any other ideas? Keep in mind I have AC, and the center console is already full of speakers.

Enjoy!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 11)
fiid
post Nov 3 2003, 12:53 PM
Post #2

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

Mine is just resting where the old ecu was. Having said that I do try not to take it out in the rain, but the one time I did drive in a huge-ass rainstorm it was fine.

Better than that would be the rear trunk, but you will need a long serial cable for tuning it.

Also - what about putting it on top of the center tunnel but under the arm-resty thing (you might have to cut the armrest and the tray to fit it?

If you have a back pad - you could probably fit it between the backpad and the firewall in the center section.

Speculation and ideas,.... :-)

Fiid.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 3 2003, 01:18 PM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

My SDS is in a gutted stock brain box right now and this could be made into a real sleeper stock looking set-up.

But it is also a bit of a PITA to work on.

My finished engine will most likly have dual TB's etc., so I think I'm going to re-install it either behind the passanger seat or in the rear trunk.
Don't mount it on the floor and it is best to mount it so all of the wires are pointed down. Try to keep it dry for sure.

Let us know where you put yours.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 3 2003, 01:22 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I put mine in the rear trunk, not a good location for programming, well at least for on the fly programming.

New install will be inside the car, more than likely, between the seats.
+Quote Post
3d914
post Nov 3 2003, 07:57 PM
Post #5

Good ideas,

I like the trunk idea. It would be easier to run a small 9-pin cable though the firewall then it would the bigger 30+ pin cable. I could then just fasten the loose DB9 to the bottom of the center cushion tray. That would take up little space - since I use this a lot. Or even run it under the center box and next to the passenger seat for quick-connect to PC.

Mark & Fiid - aren't you worried about the heat in the engine bay?
Mueller - is heat in the trunk even a concern?

I know the stock ECU is there, but i got the impression from the MS docs that it may not hold up in under-hood conditions. What have been you experiences, if any?

TIA,
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 3 2003, 09:26 PM
Post #6

that's what I do!

Heat in the bay isn't a big issue, its not like your using the block as a heatsink. In some cars it may be a problem but not in a teen. Moisture on the other hand could become a major issue over time, but even a teen doesn't have the splash problems of an waterpumper.

The trunk is fine, as long as your not doing a turbo and have an exhaust pipe 1/2" away on the other side of the tin.

My programer also uses a DB9. I cut mine ( they're only about $10) and ran it and a couple of other wires through a 9/16" hole beside the shiftrod into the tunnel. Then I soldered it back together. Make sure you use a grommet through any hole drilled in metal.

With it in the trunk you can run the wires through the plastic top latch cup. I hate drilling holes, so I think this would be one of the better spots.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Nov 3 2003, 09:36 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey Mueller, I want to see that Megasquirt setup sometime. I definitely have the electronics experience to build one of those, so I might try it out on this 2.0 I am rebuilding.

Oh, and I still haven't split the case... I will PM you once I do and we can meet up.
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Nov 3 2003, 09:47 PM
Post #8

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Gerard

Sounds like the trunk is probably best. Run the DB9 cable into the interior and get a new connector so you can have your laptop in the car. It's fun to watch.

I got your stuff today and I picked up the resistors for you. Four 5.6 ohm 10 watt just like mine. I'll try to burn the processor Wed. and get it on the way back to you.

Dave
+Quote Post
3d914
post Nov 3 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #9

Thanks guys - especially Dave.

The trunk is sounding better all the time. I'll have to remove my fire extinguisher, but it was an extra any way. I have a smaller one under front pass seat.

I want to build a metal screen cage to fit over it. This will protect it from anything in the trunk that's moving around. I use this car everyday, so both trunks get a work out.

Anyone know where I can get some black perforated metal screen? About 1/6 in thick should do the trick.

I've already picked out the spot for the relay board. There is a protected area just above the stock relay board. It will be away from heat, and protected from water as well. It's thin enough that I can still remove the stock relay board cover also.

That reminds me. Do I HAVE to run the fuel pump from the MS board & software, since the teener has that taken care of already?

I'll keep ya posted.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 3 2003, 10:52 PM
Post #10

that's what I do!

QUOTE(3d914 @ Nov 3 2003, 08:27 PM)

Anyone know where I can get some black perforated metal screen? About 1/6 in thick should do the trick.

Do you have a spare engine lid? Nice bit of screen there.
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Nov 4 2003, 05:46 AM
Post #11

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Gerard

I used the Megasquirt wiring. I also installed switches that wiil shut the fuel pump off in an accident. They are available on Ford Taurus's in the rear trunk.

I still have the stock fuel pump wiring and I may switch back to that as it has the AAR wiring in the same circuit.

Dave
+Quote Post
3d914
post Nov 4 2003, 05:59 PM
Post #12

Mark - good idea! The spare I have is too nice to hack up, but I may scrounge at the local Porsch yard.

Dave - I know the Taurus switch you mentioned. We had a wagon for a while and that thing got tripped a couple of times just by going over a curb too hard.
If I had one on my teener - with its suspension & the roads around here - I'd be triggering it every other block!

Does the MS need to see the Fuel Pump?
If so, I should just be able to run the lead over to the stock relay board and connect on the fuel pump side- correct?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 03:21 PM