Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Door panels, getting down to details!
914werke
post Dec 9 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #1

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Group: Members
Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The factory put a wax type paper on the panels themselves and glued a
dbl layer plastic sheet over the door frame.

Pics anyone?

Where do you get the wax paper?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dlestep
post Dec 9 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #2

I am smilin'...

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,573
Region Association: South East States

...a moisture barrier was used to protect the outboard face of the particle board from absorbing trapped moisture between the polyethelene sheet on the door. Any laminate self-adhesive film will give the same protection. Using just the polyethelene sheeting will still allow the base material of the door panel to absorb moisture and deteriorate.
BEMIS manufactures self adhesive laminate films that can be applied to the outboard face (surface facing the interior of the door) and cut to size by hand.
Cover the whole surface, from under the top pad to the bottom, and from side to side and wrap over the edges under the panel cover. Moisture comes in between the bottom of the door and the door threshold and can wick through the exposed edges.
I live in Florida, in the summer it rains, or I should say, it rains buckets not drops.

Don't use Spray adhesives, they attack the old dry conglomerant composition of the original material.

(Look at what happened to the back panel base material when exposed to water leaks from a poorly sealed rear window).
...hope this helps
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 10:14 AM