Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Early ('70) Fuel Filter Question, What do I do?
Porsche Rescue
post May 1 2009, 07:18 PM
Post #1

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Group: Members
Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Need to replace my fuel filter on my '70 1.7. It appears the correct factory filter is NLA. The one I have has a thick band around the middle and slides into a bracket on the body.

My filter has a larger inlet diameter (10 mm?) and smaller outlet to the pump (8 mm OD, I think).

Local parts store offers one which takes two different hose diameters, but the large end is too large and the flow is backwards (flows arrow from small end to large end, I need the other way around). They say it is for all 914's but I am guessing that it is for a '75-'76.

I also see that Pelican sells a short "tapered" hose which may be the solution, but it costs over $30, so I'm not up for trial and error.

I have a filter which has 8mm OD nipples at both ends. I am tempted to use it and hope the larger diameter hose from the tunnel plastic tube will hold if I clamp it well.

Neither fllter has the "fat" band around the center to allow proper mounting to the firewall.

So, anyone got a solution to this problem?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Cap'n Krusty
post May 2 2009, 09:34 AM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Maybe I wasn't clear. There are ONLY TWO OE filters, one is 8/8 (early, in the rear of the car), the other 8/12 (late, under the fuel tank). There IS NO 8/10. If you have the one with the large inlet, and it's plumbed directly to the 10mm pipe, then the hose is stretched over the filter inlet or clamped down on the pipe. Not good. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post May 2 2009, 09:44 AM
Post #3

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 2 2009, 07:34 AM) *

Maybe I wasn't clear. There are ONLY TWO OE filters, one is 8/8 (early, in the rear of the car), the other 8/12 (late, under the fuel tank). There IS NO 8/10. If you have the one with the large inlet, and it's plumbed directly to the 10mm pipe, then the hose is stretched over the filter inlet or clamped down on the pipe. Not good. The Cap'n

Clearly I don't have a good grasp of my problem. Or maybe I don't have a problem. I have not yet removed the old filter, waiting until I have new hose and filter in hand (replacing all hoses). My car is a 108K, one owner before me car, and I am guessing the lines are original or recall replaced 39 years ago.
To my eye the hose leading to the filter appears larger in diameter than the one leading to the pump. Both are braided OE looking hoses.
I will take it apart and then know what I'm talking about! Maybe my replacement filter will fit (8mm x 8 mm). I will use the plastic cube for now and get a BMW model when I find a new tapered hose. I want to replace the $30 inlet hose but Pelican is out of stock and I will likely need to order from the dealer next week. I wish the new filter could be mounted correctly to the car. Oh well.

Thank you very much Cap'n.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 01:15 AM