Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> DE Events and Insurance, What insurance carrier to you use?
flat4tom
post Mar 23 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,207
Region Association: Northern California

Hello all,

It was my intention all along to take my 914 out to a DE event at Thunderhill Raceway when it was ready. I've finally got the car running well enough to be thinking about this.

What insurance company(s) do you use to insure your street drivable 914 when you take it to a DE track event?

Currently, my other 'classic' cars are insured with Grundy Worldwide...no I haven't contacted them yet but will be. I just wanted to know who other people were using and why?

Thanks for any info. I've never participated in a DE event before so this is all new to me.

Tom
'73 2.0
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
sww914
post Mar 23 2010, 10:58 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

If you crash your car, you were NOT racing, you were taking a driving course AT a driving facility and you had an instructor in the car at all times.
You were not racing, period. You should be covered. Call your existing insurance company and ask them if you are covered for driver's education events. DO NOT use the words race or racing, ever. I couldn't even get shop insurance until I learned not to say racecar when describing my business.
When I've gone to POC events that's what they told us concerning driving our street cars on the track, don't even mention timing your laps and deny that you were being timed if possible.
Our local PCA rents a track a couple of times a year and they don't allow timing because they can't afford the insurance for the event if there is any timing going on. Some guys still use their own hot lap timers but fortunately the PCA guys can't see very well sometimes.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 24 2010, 06:30 AM
Post #3

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(sww914 @ Mar 24 2010, 12:58 AM) *

You were not racing, period. You should be covered. Call your existing insurance company and ask them if you are covered for driver's education events.

Even more important, actually READ your actual policy - it does not matter a whit what your agent tells you - all that matters is what the policy actually says in writing. You are betting money the insurance company will enforce the strict letter of the policy contract document.

My insurance specifically disclaims all coverage _at_ a racetrack, it doesn't matter what you were doing there, even as a paying spectator for a professional event. Race track - not covered.

Those provisions _may_ be contestable under some circumstances (how about a swap meet in the parking lot of a race track where there are no cars on track?) but expect them to fight you every step of the way.

I do not like this provision in my insurance (Allstate) and I'll be having to change carriers if I ever get serious about DE events again. Your carrier in your state will probably have different provisions. READ the policy document with a fine-tooth comb.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2024 - 09:56 PM