Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> good anti-rust sprays?, need facts & opinions
trent1542
post Aug 25 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,074
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I was wondering what some people here on 914world have in their 914's for keeping out rust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
I want to spray it in the engine compartment, both trunks and the interior floor.

I've heard of Lizard Skin and Silver Rust Encapsulator and Corroless.

thoughts, opinions, facts? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ellisor3
post Aug 25 2010, 05:54 PM
Post #2

HPWhore

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,683
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(trent1542 @ Aug 25 2010, 07:01 PM) *

I was wondering what some people here on 914world have in their 914's for keeping out rust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
I want to spray it in the engine compartment, both trunks and the interior floor.

I used the Eastwood products and I think they work great, they are not cheap but they give a great finish to paint over when done properly.
Eastwood Rust Treatment Products
+Quote Post
realred914
post Aug 25 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #3

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Aug 25 2010, 04:54 PM) *

QUOTE(trent1542 @ Aug 25 2010, 07:01 PM) *

I used the Eastwood products and I think they work great, they are not cheap but they give a great finish to paint over when done properly.
Eastwood Rust Treatment Products

i and some others have had horrible experiences with eastwoods rust converter. as a person trained in chemistry i can assure you that stuff they sell is the wrong chemical for what they are doing. I and others (even per eastwoods own website) have had massive rusting under the coating, the acid they use stays active. the rust is deep pitting as if immersed in salt water. if the top coat (and you MUST top coat it) is ever chipped or compromised in any way and moisture gets to teh "rust converter" the acitve acid will respond to that moisture with a deep pitting creeping fast reacting rust, right under the paint! I perform several tests after i had two cars ruined by this product (has to be sand blasted off) The test pieces I did confrimed that teh prosduct when left exposed rusts as rapidly as metal covers with damp ammonium chloride or salt water! even exposure to air will set off the rust. the problem is the product has water in it, they are counting on it drying, but unless you have maybe zero percent humidity , it will never dry enough, then you top coat it and seal in teh active acid. If you did it on a humid day, the failure will happen sooner, if you waited before top coat more the longer you waited, teh worst teh rust as the coating is taking up maoisture from teh air. so in practivce it is impossible to get all the water out . but even if you could, one chip or scrath in the top caot,a dn the rust will take off.

easywood acknowlede they had probelms with this product, I spoke with one of their R and D guys and he acknowledge many complaints. some falilure may not be noted for years after application.

now a word on eastwoodds chassis black, that stuff they had to add stiocker to relable it, the stuff wont dry in any resonible time, so they had to relable the dry time and tell you to put it on real thin. I got some cans without the lable and a second batch with, the paint was horrible, dried slow and was nothing special, *(just over priced)

the word is east wood buys the cheapest chemicals,a dn re-lables them and jack sup the price, real pro- shops do not generally use eastwood paints, eastwood could never match teh R and D expertice of real paint companys such as PPG, or Glaserit or Dupont. Eastwood sells this crap to home doit your selfers, they cant sell that stuff to folks that really know paints.

do not use Eastwood coatings.

Now for a rust converter that does no harm and does seem to work (dispite the bad practice of covering up rust) that produst is made by a professional paint company (SEM) and is called Rust Mort (needs to be top coated) and Rust Seal (has built in primer) these products do work, I have had over 20 years of good expericne with them and the rust has not come back on several cars!

now if you wanting to simply coat teh enigne bay and underside of car and you do not currenlty have rust , then a waxy or simualr removable coating (self heals when scratched) may be what to do.

however if the original paint is decent, and your battery is a sealed type, yoour engien bay should not be a rust concern, even if parked in the rain.

i have done a decent quick clena up of engine bay (engien out for best room to work) with sanding, , wire wheel of rust areas, Rust Mort on rust areas, then follow up with rustoleum primer, then several top coats of the car color (rustoleum) this works well for an engine bay, and many rattle can colors are close enough for the engine bay, this will look better than an undercoat in teh engine bay

what ever you do, you MUST completely degrease the engien bay several times and use the painters grease wax and silicone remover (wont harm the under paint like many other solvents do) you should do this prior to any sanding, so as to not sand grease and oils in the the paints trapping int eh sanding scratches, only to have it cause adhesion probelms later!

POR 15 must be top coated as it is not UV proof, i have found the engine bay to not be shielded enough, light does get in thru the grill and it will discolor the POR15. POR 15 is not as great as they say, very hard, tough to top coat if cured, expensive, and it discolors in sun light. not my first choice, (but miles ahead of EAstwood crap)

good luck
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 04:18 PM