Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> good anti-rust sprays?, need facts & opinions
trent1542
post Aug 25 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,074
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I was wondering what some people here on 914world have in their 914's for keeping out rust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
I want to spray it in the engine compartment, both trunks and the interior floor.

I've heard of Lizard Skin and Silver Rust Encapsulator and Corroless.

thoughts, opinions, facts? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
draganc
post Aug 25 2010, 08:42 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

I have used POR15 and silver bullet as a brush on. POR15 has a nice surface finish but silver bullet is easier to apply - no prep work required, just dry and clean surface AND doesn't need any top coat.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Aug 25 2010, 08:50 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(draganc @ Aug 25 2010, 09:42 PM) *

I have used POR15 and silver bullet as a brush on. POR15 has a nice surface finish but silver bullet is easier to apply - no prep work required, just dry and clean surface AND doesn't need any top coat.

Do you mean Rust bullet? I have used rust bullet and I am not impressed. I saw 2 applications that failed. Could have been my prep but for me, it didn't work. I will never use it again. POR is one I have not used but is one that you love or hate. I have heard that it holds better to rust than unrusted steel. This causes problems where rust can creep under the metal that was at first not rusted! I have used a product called"Chassis Saver" so far so good. Not an endorsement! I have only used this sparingly and where I used it, it has held up.
+Quote Post
draganc
post Aug 26 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Aug 25 2010, 06:50 PM) *

Do you mean Rust bullet? I have used rust bullet and I am not impressed. I saw 2 applications that failed. Could have been my prep but for me, it didn't work. I will never use it again. POR is one I have not used but is one that you love or hate. I have heard that it holds better to rust than unrusted steel. This causes problems where rust can creep under the metal that was at first not rusted! I have used a product called"Chassis Saver" so far so good. Not an endorsement! I have only used this sparingly and where I used it, it has held up.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) , yes I ment rust bullet. I have been watching waaay too much true blood these days - darn werewolfs!!

However, I'm using the Automotive version, which is silver in color. Poor excuse.

How did it fail? I'm using it on mainly clean metal which has a zink coat (hell hole and minor long repair).
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Aug 27 2010, 07:37 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(draganc @ Aug 26 2010, 10:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Aug 25 2010, 06:50 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) , yes I ment rust bullet. I have been watching waaay too much true blood these days - darn werewolfs!!

However, I'm using the Automotive version, which is silver in color. Poor excuse.

How did it fail? I'm using it on mainly clean metal which has a zink coat (hell hole and minor long repair).

I have a hole in the tailgate of my van. I cleaned out the spot and painted it with the silver rust bullet. It rusted within 2 months. I did only give 1 coat. They claim you must use 2 coats. Also painted on a frame that was made to hold a compressor on a truck. Looked nice for 6 months. I painted the trunk of my DD and it still looks good. I am not convinced this is very good stuff. I just won't use it any more. I used Chassis Saver in the channel for the front trunk rubber seal. So far, this has held up well.
+Quote Post
budk
post Aug 27 2010, 07:58 AM
Post #6

Yes! It's a Bumblebee!

Member No.: 11,970
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I've used Chassis saver but it seemed to flake off over time or if you hit it with a stream of pressurized (not high pressure) water.

I'm picking up my 914 tomorrow (woo hoo!) so I orded a quart of POR-15 so that I can hit any of the exposed rust sections. That should give me some time to decide what rust needs repaired vs. just coated and top-coated.

Speaking of top-coats, I see POR sells at least 2 different black topcoats. They have one that is a gloss black and then they have the Chassis black which I assume is flat. They may also have a semi-gloss.

On a 914, which of these would be appropriate for underneath the car and which would be appropriate in the engine bay ?

Thanks. Bud
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 04:20 PM