Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914/6 Engine Tin, all my expensive stuff is disappearing
3liter914-6
post Apr 20 2004, 09:17 AM
Post #1

Master of Clueless Posts

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,238
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Well, yet another item to add to the list of parts that have disappeared themselves since I took the car apart 4 years ago. The first casualty was my set of freshly rebuild 914-6 calipers, I've learned to deal with it, and it's not as big a deal as I was going to do the 911 e-brake conversion anyway, but I'd rather have the $1800 in my pocket than jack squat.

Fan shroud also disappeared, although I think that was stolen by a guy doing some paintwork and $50 got me a nice green one (although I'd have preferred black or red).

Now, I've got the engine back together ready to stick it in and, OOPS, $500 worth of original engine sheet metal nowhere to be found.

So now I've got some options, none of them particularly cheap, and none very promising for getting me to Hershey without some $$$ overnight shipping. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I did some searching and found 1 post relating to sheet metal where Bradholio said it's not a huge deal to run without it. In the VW world, running without the tin is a big no-no. I'm prepared to accept that no sheetmetal will work ok on a -6, but how much leeway is there? My engine probably runs a little hotter than stock (10.3:1, 3.3L short stroke) and all I've got to run are heat exchangers (unless they've disappeared in the last 10 mins). Granted I've got a big oil cooler, and the HE's aren't going to be hooked up so should stay pretty cool, but I'm a little wary of running tinless without a little more specific BTDT experience.

Anyone have some thoughts, should I go for it and hope my tin shows up someday, or just bite the bullet and get PP to FedEx me something?

Thanks,

Adam
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
TimT
post Apr 20 2004, 09:41 AM
Post #2

retired

Group: Members
Member No.: 313

I run my car (914 w/3.2) without the tin, havent had any issues..btw the car is a track only car
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
3liter914-6   914/6 Engine Tin   Apr 20 2004, 09:17 AM
TimT   I run my car (914 w/3.2) without the tin, havent h...   Apr 20 2004, 09:41 AM
davep   Whoa, that sucks. Looks like someone has found a s...   Apr 20 2004, 10:25 AM
3liter914-6     Apr 20 2004, 10:53 AM
d914   I've got some , not pretty, took off of track ...   Apr 20 2004, 11:09 AM
736conver   Maybe Dave will chime in on this one but is the Pe...   Apr 20 2004, 11:37 AM
James Adams   Try Rich Johnson for the sheet metal. He is liste...   Apr 20 2004, 11:46 AM
3liter914-6  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 04:20 PM