Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Okay Experts: Identify this sound... SOLVED..., 914 traveling at 40 MPH squeals then stops and starts...
Rockaria
post Apr 8 2013, 08:04 PM
Post #1

ZippidyDoDah...

Group: Members
Member No.: 645
Region Association: None

Okay I have a funny sound coming from the drivers side rear. It only happens when it is over 80 Degrees ambiant outside. Never when cold. It usually comes on after about 30 MPH and goes away suddenly. Sometimes its really loud sometimes quiet.

I made a recording today and though someone might know if I have a problem or just something simple.

1973 914 2.0 D-Jet - Stock as she came from the factory.

Crazy 914 sound MP3 - 4MB

In the audio I start recording when I am doing 40MPH. I do that a while, get to red light. It goes away then I go back to 40MPH and it does not come back, then it just comes back when I am doing about 25. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Thanks in advance,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Rockaria
post Apr 29 2014, 12:01 PM
Post #2

ZippidyDoDah...

Group: Members
Member No.: 645
Region Association: None

I have solved the mystery noise. Well I solved it months ago, but full testing is now complete...

Last Spring I repacked my CV joints with new grease and the sound has not returned.

I did not take anything apart, I got a grease gun with an injection needle and put grease in from the rear of the CVs between the rubber boot and the drive shaft. I then massaged the boot to get the grease in all places.

All fixed and has worked great since. Just an FYI to anyone who has this noise. I waited almost a year to make sure the noise did not return before posting this was solved.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 01:22 AM