Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> On Topic - Anyone remember reading about, Type IV push rod tube mod.
SpecialK
post Nov 12 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #1

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

I can't remember where I read it, and it was several years ago, but someone did a mod on their push rod tubes in an effort to keep the crankcase oil from sloshing into the heads on hard cornering. I think it had something to do with attaching the end of a Type I PR tube to the "case side" of a T4 tube which made it extend farther into the case. This supposedly prevented (to a certain extent) as much oil from entering the heads during a hard cornering, yet still allowed the heads to drain normally.

Anyone heard of, or done this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
SpecialK
post Nov 13 2004, 01:59 PM
Post #2

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 13 2004, 09:07 AM)
The oil doesn't slosh there... It is delivered there by the ushrods to lube the rockers and valve guides/stems..

Anything you do to the PR tube to retain slosh will also retain oil IN THE TUBES thus keeping it from the SUMP where it can be picked up again and recirculated. even the windage tray does this in stock form and thats why we either don't run it or we heavily modify it.

I make tabs that weld to the pick up tube and retain slosh and they work well. I have tubes with these welded on already if anyone wants to try one and see the differences..

I knew that oil is delivered to the head via the push rods, and returned to the sump through the tubes, and the oil doesn't really "slosh" into the heads, but rather enters the heads by the centripetal force created in a turn.

"Anything you do to the PR tube to retain slosh will also retain oil IN THE TUBES thus keeping it from the SUMP where it can be picked up again and recirculated."

"I make tabs that weld to the pick up tube and retain slosh and they work well. I have tubes with these welded on already if anyone wants to try one and see the differences.."

So, which is it Jake? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
SpecialK   On Topic - Anyone remember reading about   Nov 12 2004, 08:22 PM
Bleyseng   Damn, the heads are full of oil anyway so to keep ...   Nov 12 2004, 10:09 PM
SpecialK   I'm no Jake, but I've heard that quite a b...   Nov 12 2004, 10:29 PM
microsa   Isn't that what the baffle/windage tray in the...   Nov 12 2004, 11:31 PM
muddboy   The mod on the push rod tubes was to add tubing at...   Nov 13 2004, 12:29 AM
SpecialK   <...   Nov 13 2004, 02:19 AM
Brett W   Wings welded to the windage tray don't help th...   Nov 13 2004, 09:29 AM
Jake Raby   The oil doesn't slosh there... It is delivered...   Nov 13 2004, 11:07 AM
SpecialK  
  Nov 13 2004, 02:35 PM
Bleyseng   Ok Jake, how about a pic of the tabs you weld on t...   Nov 13 2004, 02:54 PM
SpecialK  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
7 User(s) are reading this topic (7 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 07:26 AM