Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> BF Goodrich 15-inch tires, Some very 914 appropriate sizes/looks
horizontally-opposed
post Nov 24 2019, 11:41 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Curious if anyone has tried any of these in 196/60R15, 195/65R15, or 205/60R15?

Advantage T/A Sport (up to 130 mph)

Old-school Radial T/A (up to 112 mph)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ClayPerrine
post Nov 25 2019, 09:42 AM
Post #2

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Years ago, we ran the BfGoodrich Comp T/As on Betty's car. They were great tires, sticky in the dry and great in the rain. We have not run any Goodrich tires since. I was thinking of trying them on Elwood when we get the Mahle's back from the paint shop.

But if they don't stick well, then I don't want them.

+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Nov 25 2019, 10:26 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 25 2019, 07:42 AM) *

Years ago, we ran the BfGoodrich Comp T/As on Betty's car. They were great tires, sticky in the dry and great in the rain. We have not run any Goodrich tires since. I was thinking of trying them on Elwood when we get the Mahle's back from the paint shop.

But if they don't stick well, then I don't want them.

This is why I am trying to find people are speaking from direct experience with the Radial T/A on a 914 or other interesting sports car.

Here's why: BFG is owned by Michelin, which is no stranger to performance and arguably knows more about performance tire compounding than any other tire manufacturer. From Le Mans to OE fitments...and the sublime Pilot Sport A/S3, it knows its stuff. I also get the sense (but do not know) that some BFG tires may not only be directly developed by Michelin but may be "generic" versions of Michelins, or something akin to them. That makes the Advantage T/A Sport somewhat interesting, besides the fact that its sidewall is 1970s-appropriate and its tread pattern wouldn't look alien on a 914...and it's affordable from a good brand. Possibly made here in America, to boot.

As for the Radial T/A? It's available in good sizes for a narrow bodied 914—like 195/60R15, 195/65R15, and 205/60R15—and those 205s can be matched to 225s for the back of a flared car. Its period correct looks are hard to beat, and besides a size advantage over 165s or 185s, there's a fair chance its compounding has been modernized. I remember they were dirt cheap for years and years, and now they're not. Possible that BFG recognized it could charge more due to vintage car prices, but also possible it upgraded the Radial T/A much as Pirelli did with the CN36. Vintage looks, modern compounds.

And, at these prices, either or both are a nice alternative to XWX and CN36s and CR6ZZ for those who want reasonably "period correct" looks with good performance. It seems like many would be perfectly happy with something that's simply better than what the car came on. If it's miles better, which is what I am looking for? All the better still. Hence my search for feedback on these tires from those who have tried them. I'm a ways away from timing out my latest set of tires, but good choices in 15s have been tough to find for years now—unless you want strict vintage 165/185s or low-profile 50-series rubber. If I was up for a set of tires, I might try one of these. I've paid more for tires that didn't do it for me, whether Vredesteins or Dunlop all-seasons.

On the face of it, I wrote these BFGs off as "they can't be good" when I am now wondering if a great choice isn't sitting right under our noses.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 01:19 AM