Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> BF Goodrich 15-inch tires, Some very 914 appropriate sizes/looks
horizontally-opposed
post Nov 24 2019, 11:41 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Curious if anyone has tried any of these in 196/60R15, 195/65R15, or 205/60R15?

Advantage T/A Sport (up to 130 mph)

Old-school Radial T/A (up to 112 mph)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Racer
post Nov 25 2019, 12:03 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

About 5 years ago, my dad put a set of Radial TA's on his /6 because his 6 runs 14" wheels and those are even harder to find that 15" tires.

I drove the car after he put them on. I drove them again 3 years later when I got the car. They still drove like crap. I doubt they've reformulated the compound. Don't waste your money.

I would rather have a period correct tire (ie, Pirelli CN 36, Vredestein Sprints, Michelin X or XWX) than waste it on those Radial T/As

I can't speak to the other tire mentioned in the OP.. the "Advantage T/A" ? They could be better, but that doesn't make them great, or even good.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Nov 25 2019, 01:19 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Racer @ Nov 25 2019, 10:03 AM) *

About 5 years ago, my dad put a set of Radial TA's on his /6 because his 6 runs 14" wheels and those are even harder to find that 15" tires.

I drove the car after he put them on. I drove them again 3 years later when I got the car. They still drove like crap. I doubt they've reformulated the compound. Don't waste your money.

I would rather have a period correct tire (ie, Pirelli CN 36, Vredestein Sprints, Michelin X or XWX) than waste it on those Radial T/As

I can't speak to the other tire mentioned in the OP.. the "Advantage T/A" ? They could be better, but that doesn't make them great, or even good.

Don't get me wrong: I care about performance. I've seen 174 mph on the way into T1 at Road America, among other adventures—and like the Avon CR6ZZs I'm running on my 914 right now (though I probably should have gotten the softest compound rather than the hardest), but...I just don't drive my 914 on the street the way I do on a track, and I don't love the cost of the Avons—nor do I think they represent good value for most 914 drivers.

Vreds didn't impress me (I liked the steering feel and ride but gave them away after 500-1000 miles), and all accounts suggest Coker XWXs (which look great) are awful. XZXs can only be worse. Which leaves Avons or CN36s at 2x or 3x the price of the BFGs...so about $1000-1200~. That's a lot of coin for an occasional use car. Or any car.

The alternative seems to be an endless array of all-season Camry tires or summer performance tires in 50- and 55-series. I've run both of the latter, too, and hated the all-seasons (it was some years ago) and like the performance of 205/55s but don't love the look.

That kinda leaves 60-series tires like the P6000 N3s (also expensive) or one of these BFGs. Three years ago is about when the price for the Radial T/A seemed to shoot up. Main point of this thread is to compare notes. We seem to have at least two people with Radial T/As on their flared 914s, maybe there are others? Your observations on the 14-inch T/As seem to fit with what I've suspected about these tires, but I'd like to hear from others.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 01:18 AM