Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Request for Prayer and Help if Possible, Not for the faint of heart, or faith…
LvSteveH
post Aug 24 2005, 11:55 AM
Post #1

I put the Poor in Porsche

Group: Members
Member No.: 600

I’ve struggled with the strength to post this, but today I’m feeling braver than usual. Every day I go outside to work on an ill-mannered car that frankly doesn’t get any respect. Even if it is off jackstands, I have been out accelerated by pickup trucks pulling huge fifth wheels. Of course I speak of the 914, and if any group can sympathize it’s all of you.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the cars. I admit I thought they were a little ugly at first, but they grew on me. It has not been an easy road though. The 914 is not exactly the status symbol that comes to mind when someone says “Porsche”. I need you all to know that I’m not giving up on the 914 or all of you, I just need some help.

Every day a GT2 cruises my neighborhood reeking of both affluence and performance. The driver literally laughs at my beloved little 914, having no appreciation that it is in fact one of his precious GT2’s predecessors. It never even occurs to him that they are related, and that he owes a debt of gratitude to those who paved the road ahead so that he would have the cornering ability, throttle response, and natural beauty that can only come from the evolution of a vision. That evolution has to start somewhere, and each and every stage plays a part…… and the 914 deserves to be respected, acknowledged, and appreciated.

As you can see I’m getting a bit worked up, and I know if this gets too long it will lose some of you… so

What I’m asking for may sound selfish, narrow minded, and perhaps even rude, but my heart compels me to do it anyway.

Would you all please pray for a new Carrera GT to be delivered to my house, paid in full (I’m not selfish, but the maintenance alone will require subsequent divine intervention, and I don’t want to ask for too much at one time).

I understand that many of you believe that prayer is reserved for selfless acts and noble causes, but my self-esteem is just such a cause. No man who has given so much to what he believes in should have to hang his head in shame. For all of you who have ever been slighted while driving your 914, this is for you too!

I know I should be able to be bigger than such things, I should be able to shrug it off and say it doesn’t matter; but it does matter. When my wife refuses to let me take her out for a nice evening in the 914 because the valet guys always laugh, it is most certainly not ok!

I do not admit to know the role God plays in our lives, or how autonomous we are with regard to his will, so, in the event that prayer doesn’t help, there is another option. We now have over 4,000 members at 914club, and if each person, could give just $150 I feel confident that I could purchase a Carrera GT outright, and proudly display a 914club bumper sticker on the rear. Now I realize that not everyone would contribute to such a cause, so, those with the ability should give more to offset the lack of participation that some members will have.

While I’m confident either of these two plans may work, there is a third and final option. Should something tragic befall, the GT2 driver, like a badly broken left foot, he would be unable to wield his mighty sword. I know this may sound distasteful to some, but I have it on good authority (Pat Robertson), that extreme measures are indeed an acceptable means of affecting the desired outcome. So, if you do not feel that praying will help, and are unable to contribute financially, please send some Jeff Gillooly type character to pick up where God left off.

To Dr. Ferry Porsche I beg…..

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
LvSteveH
post Aug 25 2005, 02:11 AM
Post #2

I put the Poor in Porsche

Group: Members
Member No.: 600

While I’m not the most prolific poster out there, I’ve enjoyed being a club member for the last two and a half years. The whole point of this was to bring people closer together through mutual respect of social boundaries. Clearly the topic is too close to home for some people to be objective about. Would it have made any difference if I made a nice subtle post requesting that religious solicitation be avoided….. probably not.

I fully accept that many people will never understand, but if you are one of them, you really should think about it instead of just lashing out. By making a public request for prayer, you are offending people and inviting public scrutiny. Today I was that scrutiny. I spoke for many that feel the same way, but choose not to say anything on a daily basis. Religious freedom includes freedom from religion. I have complete faith in the human spirit and it’s ability to persevere through the toughest times. People can love and support one another without religion being involved.

For those who have shared a loss with the club, I assure you this was not a betrayal of that trust. Any support I offered, though anonymous, was heartfelt and sincere.

I can’t imagine the 914club without Jenny, so I embark on a voluntary vow of silence until she invites me back. I do reserve the right to lurk though. I like you guys too much.

Yes, I am bringing snow tires so I can still drive my 914 when hell freezes over. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
LvSteveH   Request for Prayer and Help if Possible   Aug 24 2005, 11:55 AM
Racer Chris   I've got a better idea. ht...   Aug 24 2005, 04:26 PM
ChrisReale   Not to stir up a pot o' poop, but considering ...   Aug 24 2005, 04:56 PM
LvSteveH   While an appeal for money is a time honored tradit...   Aug 24 2005, 05:34 PM
markb   Steve, I for one, was happy to see an irreverent t...   Aug 24 2005, 06:13 PM
ChrisReale   So, suppose you do get a C GT....how are you going...   Aug 24 2005, 06:20 PM
Racer Chris   ...   Aug 24 2005, 06:40 PM
LvSteveH   http://www.914world.com/bbs2/htm...   Aug 24 2005, 07:37 PM
DNHunt   Steve I think I understand your position on praye...   Aug 24 2005, 07:49 PM
redshift   ...   Aug 24 2005, 08:36 PM
Racer Chris   ...   Aug 24 2005, 08:38 PM
Rand   http://www.914world.com/bb...   Aug 24 2005, 09:36 PM
SGB   http://www.914world.com/bbs2/...   Aug 24 2005, 09:48 PM
grantsfo   I have been praying for the same thing but it does...   Aug 24 2005, 09:52 PM
Jenny   I'm not a religious person. But I do feel I am...   Aug 24 2005, 09:54 PM
Porsche Rescue   Religion, like politics, belongs on some other for...   Aug 24 2005, 10:02 PM
Rand   Well said Jenny. Jim, I agree. I stated the same ...   Aug 24 2005, 10:28 PM
Rob Ways   Dude, you want a C-GT over your 914??? WTF? I...   Aug 24 2005, 10:36 PM
Jenny   Regardless of how much you agree or disagree with ...   Aug 24 2005, 11:28 PM
Mr.C   I nominate that we rename this ...   Aug 25 2005, 12:38 AM
LvSteveH   While I’m not the most prolific poster out there...   Aug 25 2005, 02:11 AM
John Kelly   Ideally religion should be a private thing...howev...   Aug 25 2005, 07:17 AM
redshift   ...   Aug 25 2005, 07:30 AM
JerryP   Is there a digging smiley? I only reply so as not...   Aug 25 2005, 07:54 AM
URY914   Steve, Come on, if you don't like a thread d...   Aug 25 2005, 07:55 AM
redshift   PEOPLE WHO ARE NEW TO THIS THREAD: BEFORE YOU POST...   Aug 25 2005, 08:02 AM
URY914   Some days my shoes are covered with poop.   Aug 25 2005, 10:04 AM
jasons   My wife and I want to get a British Bulldog Puppy....   Aug 25 2005, 10:17 AM
jonwatts   Awww what a cute widdle puppy-wuppy. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/e...   Aug 25 2005, 11:09 AM
BMartin914   ...   Aug 25 2005, 11:11 AM
aircooledboy   ...   Aug 25 2005, 12:46 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 10:13 AM