Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Minor Shifting Problems
ne14914
post Mar 11 2003, 01:26 PM
Post #1

Me N My914

Group: Members
Member No.: 388

I am having some minor shifting problems I need some help with.

When I downshift into 2nd, or 3rd gear, sometimes i get a grinding sound. I know i am shifting it into the correct gear. It also happens when I am sitting at a light, and I go into first gear. The clutch does not slip, and seems to be pretty solid.

Also, is it common for the 914 to have such a long throw. It seems longer than my old 65 VW. I was thinking of adding a short shift kit - what do you guys think?

Craig
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Dave_Darling
post Mar 11 2003, 04:34 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Step 1: Adjust the clutch. Yeah, I know you're sure it's adjusted--adjust it again!! Seriously; the grinding going into 1st gear is often a sign that the clutch isn't quite letting go all the way.
Step 2: Adjust the shift linkage. It's free, and sometimes can solve these kinds of problems. Not often, but it's free and can work.
Step 3: Check or just replace all of the shift bushings and (if you have a 73+ or an earlier car with a side-shift conversion) the cone set screws.

After that, you're talking actual money to really fix things.

The short-shift kit will make the throws shorter. But you will tend to shift faster (one of the reasons for having short throws, yes?). That will make it easier to "beat" the synchros, so you'll get back into "grind-ville" a lot faster. It can make the slop seem smaller, because all of the motion (including the slop) will be smaller.

--DD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 12:15 PM