Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914-6 George Vellios oil tank capacity ?
amallagh
post Oct 20 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,767

Can anyone tell me what the working oil capacity of a 914-6 would be with a George Vellios cast aluminium oil tank ?
I am assuming the std capacity with the original oil tank is 8-9 US quarts (about 8.5 litres)
Many thanks
Andrew
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
IronHillRestorations
post Oct 21 2007, 11:28 AM
Post #2

I. I. R. C.

Group: Members
Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

What I've found with gettin the right amount of oil in a car with a Velios tank, is that a stock factory filler neck does not engage the bung in the tank like it should, so if it's a 1/2" from full insertion, your dipstick won't read correct.

Make sure your filler neck is inserted all the way to the raised bead on the tube, you may have to massage the filler neck down to fully engage. I've used a couple methods (shrinking hammer, dimpling, etc) but the best seemed to be cutting and welding the filler neck to a smaller diameter.

You also may not have the correct dipstick, as the correct 914-6 dipstick is four or five times the price of the least expensive dipstick that will work.

As far as volume of oil, I was told by Velios that the tank was supposed to be the same capacity.

The capacity can change depending on the engine, and external oil coolers. However since the dry sump system takes such a large volume of oil, there is some leeway.

As Scotty said, put 8 or 9 quarts in the system. Then pull the coil wire or plug on the CD box and and turn over the engine to get oil through the system. I do about 15 seconds a crank, so you don't overheat the starter, and keep hitting it until you see the oil pressure gauge start to move. Then start the engine and drive it to get it up to operating temp and check the oil level with the car on a flat level spot, with the engine idling. Then add oil until you get it between the marks on the dipstick. I'd be a little aprehensive if you had to add more than 11 qts total, as you'll start blowing a protective coating of oil all over your engine bay.

The bottom line is you don't need a dead nuts exact amount to add. I've seen 911's come in two or three quarts low, with no ill effects. That's one of the pluses with a dry sump system that has so much oil, a quart low isn't going to kill you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2024 - 06:20 PM