Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> my new 3rd brake light, new addition
pnewman
post Aug 31 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,606
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Aug 28 2011, 01:13 PM) *

How difficult would it be to replace all the brake and turn signal lights with LEDs in addition to a 3rd brake light?

Bulbs just don't seem to be bright enough and nobody seems to see our little cars. I figure its only a matter of time before I'm flattened (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Their are 1156 and 1157 led replacement bulbs on the market. I know that I have seen them on ebay for less than $10 each delivered. Some of our odder bulbs aren't as easy to find but most are out there. Just google or ebay search the oem part number with LED and they should pop up.

i.e.
1156 LED

ebay result:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-BA15S-11...=item415c979455
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ductech
post Aug 31 2011, 05:43 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 11,949
Region Association: Southwest Region

For all you visibility obsessed peeps ... give this a shot to start. go to the automotive lighting and select the correct style of bulb. Their are multiple designs so go with the brightest with the largest viewing angle. I was planning on doing these upgrades myself.

I have purchased raw leds from them for retrofitting into 914 gauges

http://www.superbrightleds.com/
+Quote Post
mikey63
post Sep 1 2011, 10:00 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 11,529
Region Association: Northern California

I did the LED upgrade on my 73. I wanted a little more lighting on the back end, so I went with the 48 led round lights for the tail/brake and tied in the turn signal lights as well to act as tail/brake lights. I used 25 led strip lights for the turn signals.This makes the back end a hell of alot more noticible.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Zundfolge
post Sep 1 2011, 11:52 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 7,994
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(pnewman @ Aug 31 2011, 03:32 PM) *

Their are 1156 and 1157 led replacement bulbs on the market.

Excellent! I thought you had to have some sort of power adapter or something to get the LEDs to work.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Sep 1 2011, 11:55 AM
Post #45

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mikey63 @ Sep 1 2011, 08:00 AM) *

I did the LED upgrade on my 73. I wanted a little more lighting on the back end, so I went with the 48 led round lights for the tail/brake and tied in the turn signal lights as well to act as tail/brake lights. I used 25 led strip lights for the turn signals.This makes the back end a hell of a lot more noticeable.

That's damn cool!
+Quote Post
Ductech
post Sep 1 2011, 03:56 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 11,949
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Sep 1 2011, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(pnewman @ Aug 31 2011, 03:32 PM) *

Their are 1156 and 1157 led replacement bulbs on the market.

Excellent! I thought you had to have some sort of power adapter or something to get the LEDs to work.

Most likely he is talking about the more pre engineered led plug in bulb assembly's if you were to use just regular single led's you would have to use resistors to get the correct voltage to the led's
+Quote Post
Nürburg Nomad
post Sep 13 2012, 05:56 PM
Post #47

914Rubber.com!

Member No.: 11,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(roadster fan @ Jul 27 2010, 02:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Nürburg Nomad @ Jul 24 2010, 11:54 AM) *

The unit I have is removed from an undisclosed 2010 GM automobile....

That's alot of questions asking for help and a bump, for an undisclosed part source........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

Ha, well it seems this thread was resurrected about a year after I posted.... so why not resurrect it again!

The brake light donor automobile in question is a 2010-Current Chevrolet Camaro Coupe (Not the Convertible as it has a different red element LED brake light which won't blend semi-seamlessly into the brushed trim) The 16 LED unit is just a board and a lens once removed from the rear window/housing of the Camaro so assuming I get around to polishing off the installation it should fit quite nicely within the upper roll-bar trim! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This project has definitely been on the back burner but the -$40 "Back Off XP" I installed inline for the rear tails (which flashes them 5 times before going steady) has certainly done wonders for keeping would be tail-gaters back from my teener! ( http://signaldynamics.com/index.php/produc...14&vmcchk=1 )
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 06:04 AM