Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: What do you guys do?, For jobs or careers?
RD Evans
post Apr 17 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #141

Group: Members
Member No.: 923

Senior Consultant with Accounting/Retail Mangement software firm that serves the Petroleum Distribution industry. First 914 at 15, second at 40 (gift from wife). Currently, awaiting new paint/interior retoration.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Apr 17 2004, 05:59 PM
Post #142

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Just an uneducated loser that spends too much time playing with engines........LOL
+Quote Post
Chris Julian
post Apr 17 2004, 06:54 PM
Post #143

Member No.: 1,821

Hey all,

HS education + many years in community college. (note constant spelling/grammer errors)

15 years in the Medical-Device startup industry (Hey Patrick). Currently developing a transoral device for obesity. Worked at Intuitive Surgical for 5 years helping develope the first FDA approved surgical robot- da Vinci.

Chris

www.ridgemed.com

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rider914
post Apr 17 2004, 08:42 PM
Post #144

Member No.: 1,923

Satellite Engineer - Fancy name for someone who drives a big TV truck to football games, murders, and hurricanes and fixes everything that breaks just long enough to get through the day.

Picture test:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gint
post Apr 17 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #145

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Rider914, welcome to the club! You'll find that 800x600 pics fit nicely. Post some pics of your 914 in the Members 914 pictures thread. This is a link to that thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=8
+Quote Post
kafermeister
post Apr 17 2004, 09:57 PM
Post #146

Member No.: 174

Stealing a hint from Gint's post. I'm a reluctant WinNT/Win2k Level II Server Support Engineer for the Managed Hosting division of Cincinnati Bell (yes in Cincinnati). Looking to get out of the 24x7x365xMultipleClients support thing and work for 1 client full time. (PM me if you're hiring techs in my area, I'm looking).

I started out in 1989 doing component level repair on old Western Electric equipment that was produced in the 60's and 70's. Then got into desktop support and have now been doing server support and occasional application integration for 10 years now for various employers.

Recently started messing with Linux and I like it a lot. http://aircooled.dyndns.org is a 486 120mhz w/16mb running OpenBSD in my kitchen when the IP is updated properly. Yea, a 486. Did I mention that I kinda like this Linux thing. I'm looking to do more with Linux (RedHat, Fedora, Suse and OpenBSD).

Other endeavors include: Licensed Real Estate Agent in KY. I'm a partner in a vinyl sign business that is growing beyond my ability to keep up. 914 junkie. ....and last but not least daddy of 3 and husband of 1. :-)

Rick
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Apr 17 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #147

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Sammy, congrats on the new gig. I know you were working some hellacious hours at the old job...hope the new one leaves more time for family & hobbies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Apr 18 2004, 08:27 AM
Post #148

Member No.: 178

hay Chris.
LOL I don't know what I got myself into.

The shop does sooo much work the last two superintendants left the position due to burn-out. $500,000 a month is a lot of pump repairs.

maybe I'm dreamin but my plans are to develop systems and procedures so the shop runs itself. I've done it before but on a smaller scale. It's waaay too hands on now. I hate micro-managers.
For the first six months I'll be buried, after that the investments should start paying off. Then it'll be time to start thinking about another crazy porsche project. Any suggestions?

The new job is only 15 miles from home, I love not having to sit on the freeway for 75 minutes to get home in the eventing.

I took four weeks off between jobs and spent time getting to know the kids again, best thing I've ever done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
sanglee007
post Apr 18 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #149

Unregistered

Database QA Analyst for about 1.5 years

Unemployed for 1 year

Just got a job: Video Game Tester

Sang
+Quote Post
agentblr
post Apr 18 2004, 06:39 PM
Post #150

Member No.: 1,595

Licensed real estate agent in MO & KS, Residental land development and I'm on the verge of opening my own real estate Brokerage in Kansas City. The Midwest still has the cheapest land in the country,life is good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
don9146
post Apr 19 2004, 05:13 PM
Post #151

Member No.: 1,500
Region Association: None

B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering with an emphasis in Industrial Engineering. Currently working as a tech support and supervisor (or is that stupervisor) for the Visteon Glass Plant in Nashville, TN in the Pressform windsheild department.
+Quote Post
Neal
post Apr 19 2004, 09:05 PM
Post #152

Member No.: 605

29 years in the telecommunications field. CICS,DB2,IMS,TCP/IP,MVS System support. I am working for IBM now doing CICS Sytems Support. Have some Unix and NT training. I am sending my son off to College this summer with a daughter 2 years behind so retirement is out of the question as is my 3.6 conversion. I love that this forum has such a diverse group of people.

Neal
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Apr 19 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #153

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

I'm a metric cog in an imperial machine.
+Quote Post
Carl
post Apr 19 2004, 09:26 PM
Post #154

Ummm ... what?

Member No.: 163
Region Association: Northern California

I'm a metric cog in an imperial machine.

That explains the missing teeth. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Apr 19 2004, 09:46 PM
Post #155

no rules, just wrong

Good one Carl!
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Apr 19 2004, 10:09 PM
Post #156

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

What the hell do you do Jon?

Geoff
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Apr 19 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #157

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Hey Sang, that sounds like a "fun" job but is it -really- ???

I work and live, respectively, right around the corner from Activision and THQ. I know that it is damn hard to get jobs there due to the perceived fun-factor and have also heard that the pay is not fantastic for same reason.

Any insight would be appreciated as those two companies are resume targets if my current gig goes in the tank!
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Apr 20 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #158

no rules, just wrong

Oh Geoff, why did you have to go and open Pandora's Rant?

Similar to what Chris just said, I have one of those jobs that sounds cool but isn't all that. What it comes down to is I'm a software engineer. In my experience it doesn't matter what the end product is (Mars rover, game console, coffee maker), programming is a lot of boredom and frustration with brief spurts of gratification maybe 2 or 3 times a year. The only thing worse than having to use crappy software is having to write it so it fits into someone's abortion of an architecture. Compound this with the Dilbert management style of my present company and it really starts to wear on you after a while. Corporate culture doesn't fit with me too well anyway. I have issues with authority figures (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Yack.gif)

Yeah I know, if it were supposed to be fun they wouldn't call it 'work'. My problem is I'm stupid enough to want to be happy. It will actually be good if I can squeak out a new career in the next 2-3 years since all the software jobs are going overseas anyway. Believe it. It may not go smoothly at first but management is getting qualified engineers for 1/10th your pay ($8k - $15k a year in India and China). They will keep at it until they make it work.

Ok, enough of whiny crybaby. I'm going to watch Letterman.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Apr 20 2004, 06:07 AM
Post #159

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Dude, you're funny. You're also correct. What do you want to be when you grow up? I still haven't decided.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Apr 20 2004, 07:41 AM
Post #160

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Oh, ok...one of those jobs. I have a 914 friend who did what you do, made a ton of money and is now a part time actor, movie editor, volleyball player. You just need to get lucky and find the "right job at the right time". He is one happy dude now days, even has a girlfriend.

Geoff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 02:18 PM