Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: What do you guys do?, For jobs or careers?
Pam
post Apr 15 2004, 06:01 AM
Post #81

Unnumbered Lady of 914s

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 756

I'm a senior corporate Info Technology negotiator at a Fortune 500 financial services company. I was a college freshman three times and decided to learn what I needed to by actually working when college just 'wasn't my thing'. 22 years with the same company and it has only been the last 3 that I finally found my calling... (thanks, in no small part, to our very own Rusty convincing me that I wasn't too old to learn a new job at the age of 40)

-P
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DuckRyder
post Apr 15 2004, 06:06 AM
Post #82

Avatars Mode: OFF because of the recalcitrant few.

Member No.: 110

I am a Property Claim Trainer / Reinspector for the catastrophe team of a large automobile insurance company.
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Apr 15 2004, 06:37 AM
Post #83

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Group: Members
Member No.: 984
Region Association: None

Well I have not seen my occupation listed here so I will put my .02 in.

Education > undergrad - accounting > masters accounting (see a pattern here?)

So therefore.... I am an accountant. Not the public bean counting variety. I am the Controller / CFO of a heavy drop forging company. Lots of noise, fire and hard steel, kinda like me working on the 914.

Todd
+Quote Post
JWest
post Apr 15 2004, 06:49 AM
Post #84

Member No.: 97

Well, foremost is my business of providing upgrades for these little cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

I started into the automotive hobby when I was 13, and that culminated in owning a shop, "Perrformance Auto Crafters," where I had clients with all kinds of unusual cars and built engines, did conversions of all sorts, maintained custom and classic cars, performed full restorations, and built/upgraded street rods.

I am an Aerospace Engineer and I have been a structural stress analyst, flight test engineer, aerodynamic stability and control engineer; I have worked on flight controls and control laws of digital flight control systems.

I do integration (systems engineering) on the world's most advanced fighter aircraft.
+Quote Post
rhaas
post Apr 15 2004, 06:55 AM
Post #85

Member No.: 155

I am a mechanical engineer with specialty in composite fabrication and product development. Been doing this for 15 years. Got my start designing products and machines for the sporting goods industry. Designed and built everything from golf clubs to bicycle forks to climing gear... All this was of carbon fiber and fiberglass. Now I design products for the military. The company I currently work for is a r&d shop for the department of defense.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Apr 15 2004, 06:59 AM
Post #86

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

Mechanical engineer. Started out doing building systems design such as HVAC, plumbing, system piping, etc. and gradually moved into the fire protection area. Now I do fire protection systems and building code analysis full time. Mechanical engineering has been okay, but as TimT said, I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

Mike
+Quote Post
maxwelj
post Apr 15 2004, 07:27 AM
Post #87

rebuilt member

Member No.: 1,532

Gosh, I guess doing a honey-dew list made me miss out on the fun...

At any rate, thanks, Rusty, for your service.

As for me, after a stint in the Army, I was a store assistant manager, then lab technician testing toothpaste additives, then oilfield roustabout, back to lab technician for an automotive catalyst company, then lab supervisor, then MBA and Manufacturing systems designer for the same catalyst company. (IT geek)
+Quote Post
crash914
post Apr 15 2004, 07:32 AM
Post #88

its a mystery to me

Member No.: 434
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Ok, Mechanical engineer, Arizona State....by way of automotive trade school.....

1st job was plastics process engineer for a large rocket manufacture, in the component manufacturing shop....lots of plastics fabrication, molding, composite layup....lots of metal machining...Then we would test and blow things up....cool job, no pay....but I was a rocket scientist!!

2nd job, plant engineer for Sherwin-Williams....cool job, stinky and dirty...lots of construction and conveyer design....

3rd job..Plant engineer for Stonyfield farm Yogurt...I ran maintenance, gave it up, all capital projects and technical support for the equipment in the plant...
Not bad, but "small company" views on how to spend and automate..

rock on...herb
+Quote Post
Rocky
post Apr 15 2004, 07:33 AM
Post #89

From the cockpit

Member No.: 1,845

Physical therapist. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_rolli_1.gif) It helps since im always effin myself up workin on my cars and buildin my monster garage.

Tim
+Quote Post
LS6/914
post Apr 15 2004, 07:45 AM
Post #90

Never leaves the shop member

Member No.: 1,215
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Driveabiltiy tech for Cadillac. As of the first of next month I will be in my own shop in Gig Harbor. Leavig the GM politics after too many years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
djm914-6
post Apr 15 2004, 08:09 AM
Post #91

Happiness is: Getting on the road

Member No.: 248

My turn (I like turns (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif))

Education: HS, AS (Associated degree in applied science CAD), mostly learn by doing.

Present Job: Electrical Designer (I do the job of an Electrical Engineer, but get paid as a Drafter). I design electrical system and fire alarm systems for retail stores and malls.

Heros:
Rusty and company!!! As the son of a Vietnam Ranger, I have deep respect for our protectors. Please cover your ass and come home alive. Your in my thoughts and prayers daily. IMHO, get outa there and let a button pusher make some glass out of all that sand.
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Apr 15 2004, 08:18 AM
Post #92

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

Mechanic for Southwest Airlines. Here for 15 years dont know if its because I like it here or just lack of ambition to go some place else (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 15 2004, 08:49 AM
Post #93

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

BBA in managment info systems from Tx Tech, after 2 years in the architecture program...

I do Billing systems production support for SBC communications, which is basically a glorified unix admin, that only supports a few applications instead of the OS... which is probably why I have time to get on here at work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

cheers to all! seems like we have a bright bunch of guys here... no surprises there though! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
mikerose
post Apr 15 2004, 08:52 AM
Post #94

Happy to be back

Member No.: 60

Well, I work for a company that specializes in the encapsulation of IR-192 for a broad spectrum of industrial applications. And we also manufacture Gamma Radiation projection devices, Radiation survey meters, Gamma Alarms, and so on. Been at this for 18 years. Plus I get to ride my ZX11 motorcycle to work every day.

Mike

www.IR100.com
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 15 2004, 08:54 AM
Post #95

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Now I’m an engine builder for the VW/Porsche crowd. I used to do full restos on VW bugs etc., but it was too much work and bug owners are cheap. Plus I’m a full-time dad when the wife is at work. We also do a bit of real estate speculation.

Before that I owned a high-end cabinet shop, sold it and got into bugs by accident while thinking about what to do next. I have my papers in cabinet making.

I also have a degree in film and video production, but I found out I’m much better at kicking ass than kissing it.

Once my young lad is in grade 1 (3 more years), I will make the big decision, continue on with the engines or go back to cabinets and building custom homes on spec.
I love playing with engines, but the other would be at least a 40k/yr raise, so it will most likely win.
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Apr 15 2004, 09:01 AM
Post #96

Small Member

Member No.: 633

Wow - lots o computer guys and engineers!

I have an MBA, I split my time as a live and studio musician and as a finance guy for a large renal dialysis company.
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Apr 15 2004, 09:02 AM
Post #97

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I WORK FOR THE GOVT.!!!!!

Just paid my Income Taxes today (April 15th) and paid over four times what I made in gross income when I started working in 1955.
It's still the best place in the world to live, but I hate taxes!! I believe we only get 1-cents to spend out of every dollar we make, rest goes to taxes.

Owner of a Mfg. Rep. company with Field Services & Equipment for the Heavy Industrial Plants with speciality in the Power & Utility Industry. When you turn your light switch & the lights go on, think of me. I rebuild large bolilers & rebuild their Turbines. I am an engineer without a degree (never made it through College)

Tom in MI
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Apr 15 2004, 09:03 AM
Post #98

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Life is funny!! Let’s see what have I been doing all of these years??

Computer Geek at Borland in the early 80’s (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Property/Construction Manager in Hollywood (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
Commercial Radiologist (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

15 years in Wireless Telecommunications with Cellular One, AT&T, Contel Cellular, GTE & Verizon, only two jobs but a lot of mergers/buy outs! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

Restaurant/property Owner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Porsche Mechanic in training!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

I still don’t know what I am going to do when I grow up!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
Rockaria
post Apr 15 2004, 09:06 AM
Post #99

ZippidyDoDah...

Member No.: 645

MBA - Manufacturing/Organizational Management

I am an Internet/Intranet Network Administrator for New Mexico State University's Library.
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Apr 15 2004, 09:12 AM
Post #100

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

I'm active duty Air Force, a SSgt, 10 years in service so far.

I'm a Unit Education and Training Manager for a Communicatios Squadron.

Basically, They put me in charge of a squadron of folks, about 300 people. I track training statistics, provide educational direction/advice, enforce training standards, and ensure they are met in a timely manner, teach classes to supervisors on how to be "better" supervisors, and more effectively train young troops.

Basically.... I'm a glorified High School guidance counselor.

In my spare time however..... I've mastered the art of finding the WACKIEST, CRAZIEST, PSYCHOEST girlfriends on the planet.....

I consider it my debt to humanity. See.. I get all the psycho ones when they first go psycho, and save the rest of St. Louis county the misery of ever knowing them.

If we havbe any pharmacists in the club, let me know. I'll loan you my "black book"..... there should be enough phone numbers in there to provide for enough Prozac purchases to pay your mortgage for a year-- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 02:14 PM