Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Somebody talk me out of..., ...selling my 914 for a Miata
Mueller
post Apr 19 2004, 09:16 PM
Post #41

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I'd rather have a Miata than an f'n Honda...FWD sucks !!!!

Tons of aftermarket support for the Miata, drop in an inch, throw some lightweight 15x7's on it with some sticky tires, add a rollbar/cage and have a blast driving the car instead of working on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Apr 19 2004, 10:11 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

Try hauling four T4 motors in a miata. in fact try hauling anything more than your lunch.
+Quote Post
PatW
post Apr 19 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #43

Wassup?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 317
Region Association: Northern California

My brother has a 2002 Miata... Quick little car. Gets great gas milage. Comfortable, reliable. . Only problem is his legs a too long and he complains about cramps in his legs. His knees are literaly next to the steering wheel. He doesn't have that problem in my 914. He fell asleep in the passenger seat while driving back from the Historics last year at Laguna Seca.

Ya, I've often thought about ownng a Miata. The f'in aftermarket in huge. Still, I drove the Miata and it just feels strange at the limit. Like it would get away from you very quickly if you were not paying attention. My 914 lets me know when I'm about to do something wrong with plenty of warning. I know they are diffrent animals but, one might be dissapointed Miata Vs. 914 on your favorite Racer Road.

My .02

Pat
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 20 2004, 09:00 AM
Post #44

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 19 2004, 09:16 PM)
I'd rather have a Miata than an f'n Honda...FWD sucks !!!!

Tons of aftermarket support for the Miata, drop in an inch, throw some lightweight 15x7's on it with some sticky tires, add a rollbar/cage and have a blast driving the car instead of working on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I musta missed something... the S2000 is RWD...

and yes, I'd take the 2000 over the miata... if for no other reason than the "GO" button starter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Brett, 4 type 4s in anything short of a pickup would be tricky... if for no other reason than the weight... even if you CAN "fit" 4 into the back of a civic (which I don't know about that, as it is..) that's 1000 pounds extra sitting on the back... I don't think the suspension can hang for anything more than a SHORT trip... and god forbid you hit a pothole!

if you want a car to haul stuff... get a small pickup... my ranger got 27 mpg on the highway... if you want a car that's a fun commuter car, there are TONs out there... you can probably get you an older supra, rx7, mr2 etc, used for little enough to keep the 914 too
+Quote Post
post Apr 20 2004, 05:32 PM
Post #45

Group:
Member No.: 0

You can always turn your street miata into a spec miata (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
fiid
post Apr 20 2004, 07:27 PM
Post #46

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

240HP out of a 2litre is quite normal for an engine that revs that high. Personally I think it would give me a headache. That is WAY peaky.

The S2000 is RWD.

The MR2 is rumoured to be a rejected lotus design. I believe Toyota owned Lotus at the time and in typical lotus fashion they probably didn't have the money to build it :-).

AFAIK the Miata was actually designed to be in the spirit (but not the reliability) of the british roadsters, such as the Spitfire and the MGB. I don't think it's designed with homosexuals, females or british ex-patiots in mind particularly - I think it's targetted at people who want a Spitfire or MGB like car without the team of mechanics required to keep it running.

I did drive one early Miata and noticed the handling was a bit "loose" on the rear end - this is why I would suggest going for one of the sport package models. My girlfriend's car has front and rear sway bars and faily stiff (but not unpleasant) springs. I have only had any serious oversteer out of it once, and it was severely provoked and in the wet.
+Quote Post
BravoHotel
post Apr 20 2004, 09:08 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 399

QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 19 2004, 07:16 PM)

Yeah, what Mueller said.

It seems a shame that my 914 sits in the garage as much as it does. I just don't want to drive it on a day where there is a chance that the weather will suck, and as it sits, it is just not practical or comfortable to run errands or commute.

The Suburban is staying, cause whatever fun car I have, I need to be able to trailer it to events and fit the wife, kid, tools, tires, etc. Plus it looks bad-ass w/ its bling-bling wheels.

All of you guys talking about Boxters, S2000s, and Evo's must think I am loaded. I am looking at spending only what I can get out of my 914 (appx $6K+) on a Miata. There are numerous early Miatas in the 3-4K range...throw a couple more "G's" at it and I've got upgraded suspension and new wheels/tires. I have also seen a few early & supercharged for between 6-7K...now you are talkin
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Apr 20 2004, 09:42 PM
Post #48

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

Miatas look fun on the track...and if you have fun...what the hell.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

As far as S2000's, I like 'em....I've got one as my daily commuter and even with no torque at all....it's a blast to drive and it handling is fun....drifting is easy and the VTEC sounds awesome when wide open....

Here's my daily driver...

Bill P.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sanglee007
post Apr 20 2004, 09:46 PM
Post #49

Unregistered

QUOTE(fiid @ Apr 20 2004, 05:27 PM)
The MR2 is rumoured to be a rejected lotus design. I believe Toyota owned Lotus at the time and in typical lotus fashion they probably didn't have the money to build it :-).

Earlier Miatas had a bit more oversteer designed in (just like the design team wanted), the 91 MR2 also had a bit more oversteer designed in than say the 94+ MR2. Around 92, they changed the Miata's rear suspension design to be a little bit less quick to break loose.

as for the 1st gen MR2...it's just a rumor, everything I've seen on the MR2 FAQs and such suggest a link, but the design seems to come from Toyota (even though it does look like a mini Lotus Esprit) I was looking into them before I got my Miata.

And you're right, the Miata was designed in the spirit of the old British Roadsters, it's not for everyone, just those who "get it" (whatever their sexual orientation, gender, height, weight, etc...)

Sang 92/Mariner Blue Miata // 76/Rustbucket 914
+Quote Post
jeff
post Apr 20 2004, 09:54 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 1,570

check out a bmw e30 m3 8-10k 4 seats ,mountian bike fits in trunk ,simple mods make it fly, reliable good mileage,more race wins than any other sedan in history i have too many cars but wont let mine go!,oh keep the 914 u only live once or u could come (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) back as some kind of weird animal
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 12:12 PM