Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 916 videos - MUSR11, 2nd video at post #30
bugsy0
post Oct 18 2010, 11:02 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,508
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 18 2010, 06:43 AM) *

Mayhaps I am a killjoy....
Crossing the double yellows on an active 2 lane road to cut across rather blind corners is inexcusable. If the car could not hold pace due to old tires, the driver should have slowed down to a pace that could be maintained.

Zach

I tend to agree - driving style on the street should never be like on the track. Besides, its fun to stay in the lane - makes the curves sharper. I say, straighten the curves on the track, emphasize them on the street.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Oct 18 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #22

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(bugsy0 @ Oct 18 2010, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 18 2010, 06:43 AM) *

Crossing the double yellows on an active 2 lane road to cut across rather blind corners is inexcusable. If the car could not hold pace due to old tires, the driver should have slowed down to a pace that could be maintained.

Zach

I tend to agree - driving style on the street should never be like on the track. Besides, its fun to stay in the lane - makes the curves sharper. I say, straighten the curves on the track, emphasize them on the street.

As the lead driver I felt 100% obligated to stay to the right of the yelow lines (except in a couple left hairpins that I could see all the way through well before I got there).
I often approached corners that I couldn't see around and someone was coming the other way.
The Dr. had the benefit of seeing me ahead of him so he knew when there were no vehicular obstructions.
There was never any danger of running into another car.
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Oct 18 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #23

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 18 2010, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 18 2010, 04:43 AM) *

Zach

Aprilhaps you are (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)....

please do not watch any of the video we may post as there was habitual line crossing throughout (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Yeah, I thought the driving was perfectly acceptable from the video. On the right corners that were blind, he slowed down and stayed in lane and then only went into the left lane when he could see well ahead. The driving was mostly very smooth and his line was pretty good with no early apexing.
+Quote Post
d914
post Oct 18 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904
Region Association: South East States

I second and or third the crossing of the lines... The camera may not have the angle but at some point we all did,, however with the capability to look across several corners to see what was coming... Some of us even cut the inside corners and sent gravel flying.. Laws were broken, fun was had and we all came home safe!!

The Doc needs some cudos here for truly DRIVING the the 916.. It was not a trailer queen and it was not on parade.. I ate enough of his smoke to be a good witness...
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Oct 18 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #25

Green Teen 66

Member No.: 10,656
Region Association: Southwest Region

Racer Chris said, "As the lead driver I felt 100% obligated to stay to the right of the yellow lines "

Bravo Chris. I wish more lead drivers felt that way.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
bugsy0
post Oct 18 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 6,508

Thanks for posting that video - everybody's an armchair quarterback - you guys were obviously having some fun!
+Quote Post
veltror
post Oct 18 2010, 01:16 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 8,978

I am not sure how you guys put up with the draconian traffic laws and stupidly low speed limits, when I lived int he US it was a mission to double the posted limit whenever I could.. 4 way stop whoever thought of that stupid, worhtless, retarded idea... brill viseo use all of your lane and whatever else you need. Nothing else coming no problem....

+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Oct 18 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #28

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

George must have had big fun driving the 916 as it was intended - well kinda at least. Crossing the doubles seemed to be done safely. C'mon, we've all done it haven't we? Maybe this will inspire George to exercise that beauty a little more, possibly put some updated rubber on for those occasions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Oct 18 2010, 02:02 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

Its not that big a deal. There were plenty of turns were you could see all the way through them. I crossed some doubles in the turns a couple of times. If the car had more than 3hp I would have passed a couple of bikes in those turns also. They were holding me up.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 18 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #30

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

Here is a ~5 min segment about half way down the TN side of the Dragon. You may recognize the large pull off area at the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8vYG1AkTiU
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Oct 18 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #31

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 18 2010, 04:06 PM) *

Here is a ~5 min segment about half way down the TN side of the Dragon.

Too slow.

Can I pay you to send me a flash drive with the entire video?
I want to see the parts where I was "misbehaving", especially when George was egging me on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Oct 18 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #32

The Governor is watching me

Member No.: 11,595
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 18 2010, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 18 2010, 04:06 PM) *

Here is a ~5 min segment about half way down the TN side of the Dragon.

Too slow.

I want to see the parts where I was "misbehaving", especially when George was egging me on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) And Chris define warmed over 1.7. Thats seriously vague (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) But it looked good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 18 2010, 04:32 PM
Post #33

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

George was being out driven....he was cutting corners just to keep up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 18 2010, 04:37 PM
Post #34

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 18 2010, 06:20 PM) *
Too slow.

PM me your mailing address and I will burn to DVDs and send your way. There are two source videos each just under 4GB each.
First is from Fontana to part way down the Dragon just past the THREE troopers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Second picks up from where the first stops. Both are about 35 minutes long.

Unfortunately, I did not have the camera set up during the trip TO Fontana. That was a good run!!!
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Oct 18 2010, 04:49 PM
Post #35

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

I personally would like to commend George for "flogging" the 916 and running her the way she deserves to be run. I know he was holding back some due to out dated rubber, but pretty sure he would have hammered the bitch every chance he could if the tires had been better. This was the best thing that has happened to the 916, and George too for that matter, in a very long time. I can easily see him doing more driving and attending many more events, whether in the 916 or not. This one's for you George! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 18 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #36

T4 Supercharged

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

It was an experience I will NEVER forget. Thanks again, George.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Oct 18 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #37

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

You should have been there to see it. It was a slow and safe drive, per PCA rules. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Besides, George and the car were always in control and whipping up the road everywhere. Also, look at the 1000+ photos on the photo's for sale thread. When most cars are dipping and leaning, the 916 is totally flat on the curves. Great car to do twisties in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Oct 19 2010, 08:24 AM
Post #38

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Oct 18 2010, 06:24 PM) *

... define warmed over 1.7.

Long duration cam (similar to Web 86a), dual valve springs, compression increase, lightened flywheel, 40 Dells, 1 1/2" header, horizontal fan cooling.
Stock valves, unported heads, stock crank, stock rods, stock pistons.
Pulls strong to at least 6200 rpm - haven't found redline yet!
The engine was sold to me as a "race engine" a few years ago, along with the Delortos.
There were some things I didn't like about the assembly so I pulled the heads to get a closer look. Its a good thing I did because it was assembled with stock head gaskets. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
At that point I decided to put it back together rather than spend time and $$ to rebuild it to my liking. Apart from some leaky pushrod tube seals which I didn't replace while it was apart it's been just fine, and I could use it in a pinch as a backup race engine.
I think the peak output is around 100bhp but I could have easily added another 20hp with some port work, lighter valves, and forged pistons - at the cost of some low end driveability.
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Oct 19 2010, 03:22 PM
Post #39

The Governor is watching me

Member No.: 11,595

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 19 2010, 06:24 AM) *

QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Oct 18 2010, 06:24 PM) *

... define warmed over 1.7.

Long duration cam (similar to Web 86a), dual valve springs, compression increase, lightened flywheel, 40 Dells, 1 1/2" header, horizontal fan cooling.
Stock valves, unported heads, stock crank, stock rods, stock pistons.
Pulls strong to at least 6200 rpm - haven't found redline yet!
The engine was sold to me as a "race engine" a few years ago, along with the Delortos.
There were some things I didn't like about the assembly so I pulled the heads to get a closer look. Its a good thing I did because it was assembled with stock head gaskets. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
At that point I decided to put it back together rather than spend time and $$ to rebuild it to my liking. Apart from some leaky pushrod tube seals which I didn't replace while it was apart it's been just fine, and I could use it in a pinch as a backup race engine.
I think the peak output is around 100bhp but I could have easily added another 20hp with some port work, lighter valves, and forged pistons - at the cost of some low end driveability.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) thanks Chris now I need to rethink everything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Oct 19 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #40

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Oct 19 2010, 05:22 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) thanks Chris now I need to rethink everything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

LOL.
Don't be fooled by how easily I seemed to pull away from the 916. There's still no substitute for horsepower.
I was driving very hard in that first clip. We had just gotten around a car that was holding us back big time and I let loose until we encountered more traffic.
That's the kind of carrot George wanted and I was more than happy to oblige. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2024 - 11:17 PM