Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WOT: 357 purchase, anyone have an opinion?
Hawktel
post Jun 14 2004, 09:40 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 506

.45 1911 a1 is the way to go.

John Browning (Who lived and worked about a 4 miles from my house) made it right.

Having a weapon thats got 90+ years of working history is a testimony that hard to ignore. And second to jacking that pump shot gun, is snapping the slide on a .45. It just gets attention. If you shoot someone with a .45 and they get back up, I'd consider it a fluke, and give them a second round, to discourage them from making another attempt.

And, even the girls like them. Something about the way the grip is placed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jun 14 2004, 09:45 PM
Post #22

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I have 2 S&W Mod. 66, that are shiny, and very loud.

I look like someone with them hip-holstered..

M
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Jun 14 2004, 09:46 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 4
Region Association: None

.357 magnum is much more powerful than a .45 ACP. the .357 magnum is the 2nd best 1 shot kill round, with .44 magnum being #1.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jun 14 2004, 09:51 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

I am looking for something new also but I think I am going to go with a CZ75 in 9mm. I can always load some hot rounds that will hit a hell of a lot harder. Plus I can find 9mm ammo everywhere even if I have to take off the bad guys after I kill em'. My house is made of concrete blocks so I don't have to worry about shoot throughs, just ricochets. Glasers are definitely the way to go.

You might consider the .357 SIG even though it is an odd caliber it has some hit or maybe the .38 Super another great round. .40 and 10mm are not bad either as they have good hit and excellent second shot recovery. The nice thing about the wheel gun aside from simplicity is the lack of evidence left at the scene of the crime. No brass to hang you with.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jun 14 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #25

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

For home... a Remington semi auto.... it's a short barrel with a tube extender. Add a mix of SSG's and slugs.

If there are kids in the home, build a hidden access panel between the wall studs. Behind a mirror with a hidden latch. You can open it but kids can't. My kid has the keys to the gun safe now.

There is a manufacture that makes a hand gun (revolver) that will fire 5 different types of center fire ammo. Saw it at a trade show. Can't remember the name. He's a one man opperation from down South somewhere.

Also saw the worlds smallest gun.....it's about 1/2 the size of a Bic lighter fires 1 .22 cal bullet
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 14 2004, 09:55 PM
Post #26

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(Hawktel @ Jun 14 2004, 07:40 PM)
.45 1911 a1 is the way to go.
. And second to jacking that pump shot gun, is snapping the slide on a .45. It just gets attention.

Whall sure, got one of them also....Mr's Sig & Sauer....I'm big on jacking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
PatW
post Jun 14 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #27

Wassup?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 317
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mikez @ Jun 14 2004, 03:58 PM)
A 357 will shoot .38 rounds but not vice versa.

So just now I un-duh-stand.. A .357 will fire a .38

Correct?
+Quote Post
Levi
post Jun 14 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #28

Lick my nuts

Member No.: 1,783

QUOTE(glstrojan @ Jun 14 2004, 03:27 PM)
i figure if someone could talk about getting a tube up his arse(sorry JP, hope the tests are neg.), then guns should be as safe a topic for discussion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

looking to purchase a 357 mag. i want something for home protection (i've pissed off a few people in my lifetime) as well something to plink around with, and i can carry it as a sidearm when hunting birds in the mountains (lions and bears, OH MY). i was thinking this was also a suitable caliber that it wouldn't knock my wife on her ass when she shoots it, but offers suitable stopping power against local wildlife (and lions and bears as well). plus i've heard some people can even hunt with this caliber, matched with the right load. any opinions ???????
I think i've narrowed it down to the ruger gp-100 and the S&W 686. thanks in advance......... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

just read the carjack thread.... one more reason.

See if you can find a gun club that has different guns for sale that you can shoot, no 1 gun is right of everyone.
I carry a Glock 9mm, 15 rounds in the clip 1 in the chamber, but trust me when I tell you, if the 2nd round doesn't stop ya the 3rd will.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jun 14 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #29

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I fired a Colt Python .357 years ago and it was quite nice. I think it was a medium or long barrel version; definitely not a snubnose which I figure would not be terribly accurate or pleasant. It was a polished or stainless version too IIRC so was kinda purty, as far as handguns go...

So fast-forward to present day, I am thinking about a 9mm or .40 or .45 such as a Sig-Sauer P-series. It is tough here in suburban LA as we do not have many places where one can look at a range of stuff all in one place, and feel like we can make it back to our car in one piece. So a lot of the decision process is based on pics, catalogs and web forums....hmmm...

FWIW the wife is also interested in learning to handle something, although two different models are not out of the picture.

However also FWIW we have a 3yr old at home and I need to be ABSOLUTELY certain of proper safety and storage mechanisms or would even keep it/them off-site at a local range most of the time.

Any advice would be appreciated...lord knows that (for whatever reason) I trust you guys more than most of the "other" wackos out there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) <_<
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jun 14 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #30

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 14 2004, 08:14 PM)

It is tough here in suburban LA as we do not have many places where one can look at a range of stuff all in one place, and feel like we can make it back to our car in one piece.

However also FWIW we have a 3yr old at home and I need to be ABSOLUTELY certain of proper safety and storage mechanisms

i used to shoot guns at the LA Gun CLub. it's downtown, so probably no too close to you, but they had a wide variety of guns for rent. nice to test a gun before you buy it. the store i am looking at here in CO offers free range time with purchase. so that is pretty nice. i also found a wholesaler in PA whose prices are 15-20% cheaper than anything else i have found. but you have to find a local gun dealer to process the paper work , and most charge a fee.

as far as storage, my wife won;t allow it in the house without a trigger lock. but i like the between the studs idea by GW.

and mikez, i will remember never to piss you off..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
PatW
post Jun 14 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #31

Wassup?

Member No.: 317
Region Association: Northern California

If I had to choose weapons to own. Money no object. It would be a .45pistol or one of those fancy Glocks in 9mm. Followed up by a .308 Winchester in a Ruger bolt action or Browning lever action. Last but not least would be Goose/Turkey Shotgun in a Remington Auto..

My .02c

Pat
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Jun 14 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #32

check out www.gunsamerica.com chris. you can get very good deals there on new guns. bought my glock 9mm from there new for $430 when the stores wanted $600+. get a semi auto if you have a kid. even if the kid was somehow able to put a magazine in it there is no way he/she's going to able to activate the slide to chamber one. I'm a fan of 9mm myself, easy to shoot, quick recovery, still going to hurt if you hit someone.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jun 14 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #33

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

In don't like "Plastic".... I want a weapon, to feel like a weapon... Like a Ruger 44 Magnum Super Red Hawk..... Thats a weapon.
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Jun 14 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 14 2004, 08:35 PM)
In don't like "Plastic".... I want a weapon, to feel like a weapon... Like a Ruger 44 Magnum Super Red Hawk..... Thats a weapon.

plastic sure is durable though.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jun 14 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #35

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I am on track that a Sig or Glock would be a good first choice?

Easy, safe handling and maintenance would be big pluses on top of obviously effectiveness and accuracy. Cost is not a major concern disregarding the pro or collector stuff in the $thousands.

I have heard mixed opinons vs. shotguns for home protection. Obviously they are easy to aim and operate but also are not really light or maneuverable in close quarters i.e. in side the house (unless they are really short- barrelled).

We are in the suburbs but our neighbor has been burglarized twice in recent years and also there are lots of critters here including coyotes and potentially mtn lions that have been known to enter yards.

Sorry to kind of hijack the thread but I figure my questions are "ontopic" for this particular semi-offtopic one.
+Quote Post
Hawktel
post Jun 14 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 506

QUOTE(vortrex @ Jun 14 2004, 07:46 PM)
.357 magnum is much more powerful than a .45 ACP. the .357 magnum is the 2nd best 1 shot kill round, with .44 magnum being #1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, magnum's are more powerfull.

Magnum's are okay to shoot, but, Honestly, I'm more comfortable with a .45. And if I get into a situation where I'm at the pearly gates, telling St. Peter, "Damned if I'd just left the .45 and got a Magnum and I'd have made it" you can tell me "I told you so"
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Jun 14 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 14 2004, 08:42 PM)
I am on track that a Sig or Glock would be a good first choice?

glocks are double action (no external safety), not sure about the sig. you might want to look into this before making your choice. I don't mind double action but some people do not like it.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jun 14 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #38

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

(IMG:http://website.lineone.net/~da.cushman/duckfoot3.jpg)

Muzzle flash alone will scare off those big bad bears and lions! LOL!

I live with Mountain Lions and Coyotes on my property. Hand held nautical air horn works better than any gun in scaring off those critters. My wife worked in Compton California as a Social worker for two years and her attitude protected her more than any 9mm would have. Spear guns are cool home protection device becuase they are quiet. Shotguns wake up the nieghbors.

I like old flintlocks as they made target practice a challenge. I have a old flint lock from 1800's that is very cool - shoots flames feet off of the muzzle too!
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jun 14 2004, 10:59 PM
Post #39

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

Back in the old days of driving long haul truck I liked my sawed off .410 bolt action. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif) It fit nice in the sleeper and was with in quick grasp if called upon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
Levi
post Jun 14 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #40

Lick my nuts

Member No.: 1,783

The Glock 10mm is the duty weapon of choise for the Spkane PD and Spokane Co.
they are light, maneuverable, reliable, and accurate, for police combat shooting they are hard to beat, big bore guns are not good for home combat shooting, I was a firearms instructor with the Sheriffs department and I've trained dozens of officers and citizens in simulated combat shooting.

Do yourself a huge favor and take a course in simulated shooting or you will be ill prepared if you have to face an intruder, its real easy to talk big about how you will blow some puke away, but when the adrenalin is pumping its a different story altogether...believe it!!
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 08:19 AM