Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WOT: 357 purchase, anyone have an opinion?
airsix
post Jun 15 2004, 01:10 AM
Post #41

I have bees in my epiglotis

Group: Members
Member No.: 266

My personal oppinion? Hard to have one gun that does well as a field sidearm as well as home-protection to be used by your wife. I love the .357 mag. It is VERY versitile. However, it is a very powerful cartidge and you will probably have a hard time getting your wife to be comfortable shooting it. Especially if it has a barrel less than 5 inches (mine is 8 3/8" and still kicks like a mule). My other concern is that the .357 carries HUGE engery. It makes a WONDERFUL field gun, but I don't like it for home protection because 9 times out of 10 a close-range .357 shot will over-penetrate the target. For home protection I want a bullet that goes in and doesn't come out. (Zois is smart IMHO using those little shot-shells at home)

If you are set on a .357 then I would at the very least keep it loaded with .38 Special hollowpoints. They will kick less and not have the over-penetration problem (typical load would be a 125gr. slug at 900fps). You can then use hot .357 loads when in the field (a 158gr slug at 1450fps for example).

Going a bit off-topic - there were some negative comments about "plastic guns". I had a Glock model 19 that I put over 3,000 rounds through without a single malfunction. The day I sold it I could still put a full clip into the head of a silloutte at 25 yards. I've had the pleasure of shooting many fine weapons, but I doubt any were more functional than that plastic Glock.

Continuing off topic... Don't listen to any of the "get this (insert name of huge caliber)" crap. Bigger is NOT better. You need a 'right sized' gun, not the biggest. If I was in a personal defense situation where I might be required to fire more than one shot, and I had to choose between say a pistol in 10mm or .45 and an identical pistol in 9mm I'd probably choose the 9mm. Why? At the range I can accurately place 5 shots with a 9mm in the same time it takes me to place 3 with a .40 let alone a .45 or a 10mm. What if I was shooting at an assailant and in my nervous adrenalin rushed condition only hit my target once out of every 3 shots? You can start to see the value of being able to make quick followup shots. I can hit an antifreeze jug at 100 yards with my .357 but I'd be a liar if I said I could make fast followup shots with it. You shoot, and there is a pause while you regain awareness and bring the muzzle back down to level from it's elevated possition.

Bottom line, if you do get a .357 load it with light .38's for home use and save the .357 loads for hunting.

I really liked the suggestion to go to the gun club and shoot various pistols to see what you (and your wife) like. Be sure to take your wife. She may end up telling you its the Sig .380 or nothing. Then you'll just have to get both (a home gun and a field gun).

-Ben M.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
larryp
post Jun 15 2004, 06:17 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 675

I did not read the three pages so apologies in advance, but IMO, if for home protection, buy yerself a 12 gauge.
+Quote Post
Andy
post Jun 15 2004, 08:50 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 1,194

Kind of a repeat of things already said but I used to shoot a lot, so here goes.

-Simplest, most reliable home defense - 12 guage pump, get a short barrel and riot grips if they're legal where you are, simple make-dead weapon, and easy to use.

-I like Glocks, I've put several hundred rounds through my 21 and it's never jammed or misfired. Revolvers are simple, but so is the Glock action, trigger pull is a little heavy but can be lightened if you want (normal 5 lbs, can go to ~3).

-I agree about the caliber, my Glock is a .45acp on a very lightweight frame and when I practiced with it I could shoot it more accurately - but after a few years of not shooting I'm more accurate with my Astra 9mm (A70 - also a good simple gun), it's just a heavier gun with a smaller cartridge.

-I would avoid oddball calibers like .357sig and .380 super, they're absolutely good calibers but you'll be less likely to practice if your ammo cost 4x as much (Not kidding, check around).

-.357mag and .44mag do have huge muzzle energies but it is often going to be wasted on over-penetration. People have been arguing about this for much longer than I've been alive though. Probably won't over-penetrate a bear though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) But you're better off with a huge bear spray can there than a pistol anyway.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jun 15 2004, 09:02 AM
Post #44

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

QUOTE(PatW @ Jun 14 2004, 08:05 PM)
QUOTE(mikez @ Jun 14 2004, 03:58 PM)
A 357 will shoot .38 rounds but not vice versa.  

So just now I un-duh-stand.. A .357 will fire a .38

Correct?

Yup....a .357 round is the SAME diameter, just longer.....with a higher powder load. So, the frame is bulkier to withstand the shock of the "controlled" explosion of the round.

MAGNUM.....just means BIG

As to those plastic rounds.....I was getting munched on by a dog about 10 years ago.....tore up my left thumb and had more than a few munches on my leg. Hit him with a blue tip ffrom my 357 s/s S&W Chief's Special.....lil bastard never even moved after one nailed him between the eyes......

Ended up being my neighbor's unlicensed mutt.....still....pretty good shootin' in the dark.....
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jun 15 2004, 09:50 AM
Post #45

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

QUOTE(airsix @ Jun 14 2004, 11:10 PM)
I love the .357 mag. It is VERY versitile. However, it is a very powerful cartidge and you will probably have a hard time getting your wife to be comfortable shooting it. Especially if it has a barrel less than 5 inches (mine is 8 3/8" and still kicks like a mule). My other concern is that the .357 carries HUGE engery. It makes a WONDERFUL field gun, but I don't like it for home protection because 9 times out of 10 a close-range .357 shot will over-penetrate the target.
I really liked the suggestion to go to the gun club and shoot various pistols to see what you (and your wife) like. Be sure to take your wife. She may end up telling you its the Sig .380 or nothing. Then you'll just have to get both (a home gun and a field gun).

thanks ben. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) the 357 i am looking at has a 6 inch barrel. do u think the S&W is a much better gun than the ruger, or just more expensive? I had planned on using the 38 shells more often than not. just for cost purposes, as well as comfort of shooting for the lil lady. being able to use a variety of loads makes the 357 an attractive option. but something tells me that a year from now, i will asking everyone questions about a small sidearm, because i will want a second gun.
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Jun 15 2004, 09:54 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 1,533

Of the 5 .357s I've owned, I prefer the S&W 586/686 over the Ruger GP-100. The stock trigger pull is lighter/smoother, the exterior is much more rounded (no snagging). The stock grips aren't quite as nice as the Ruger. One thing that I haven't quite gotten over on my latest 686+ 7-shot is the timing on the cylinder during a double-action trigger pull. Since the cylinder travels a shorter distance (1/7 of a turn instead of 1/6) it locks up sooner and messes with my ingrained sense of timing that I've developed from normal 6-shot revolvers. S&W has also 'politically correct'-ed their revolvers with a built-in trigger lock. Barrel length is another issue. 4 inches seems to short (loud), 6 inches too long, and 8 3/8 is outside the portable realm. A friend (female) purchased a 6 inch version for the longer sight radius and recoil damping.

Like anything, practice, practice, practice the key and I prefer the quieter, less punishing 38 Special cartridges for practice. However, a (disturbed?) friend of mine really enjoys shooting full-power .357 loads from his 4 inch Ruger at the indoor range, and does quite well when taking his time. I personally think tinnitus sucks.
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jun 15 2004, 10:07 AM
Post #47

QUOTE(Cloudbuster @ Jun 15 2004, 07:54 AM)
The stock trigger pull is lighter/smoother, the exterior is much more rounded (no snagging). The stock grips aren't quite as nice as the Ruger. S&W has also 'politically correct'-ed their revolvers with a built-in trigger lock.

hey cloud,
would you mind elaborating on the trigger lock you mentioned about the S&W. i was actually leaning towards the ruger because of the grip, and i like the finish a little better. $ isn't as much of an issue, because this is a one time purchase, so i'd like to get it right. kind of like the 914 was supposed to be, but of course, i haven't seen that for 18 months. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jun 15 2004, 10:27 AM
Post #48

Like Cloud, I prefer the S&W. The Rugers always seem to bite the web of my hand between thumb and forefinger. S&W just fits my hand better. Nothing against Ruger - my favorite rifle is a Ruger. I also agree with Coud on the 586/686 comment. My first pistol was a nickle 586. I think it was a 4.5" barrel. The full-underlug extending to the end of the barrel adds weight and helps cut the recoil a bit without requiring as long a barrel. I had a very reputable pistol-smith go over the action and made a very good gun superb for a very nominal cost. Wish I'd never sold it. (story of my life)

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
mikester
post Jun 15 2004, 01:05 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 837

The 1911 is an extremely fine firearm.

If I were to own one, I think that would be the one.

I had a cousin who I would go shooting with every couple of months and he has an assortment of firearms. Particualarly though he had a 9mm an .45 I can't recall and the 1911. I was horrible with the 9mm and the other 45 but with the 1911 I was smooth as silk.

It is a great firearm.
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Jun 15 2004, 02:48 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 1,533

On the left side of the gun, behind the cylinder latch and above the grip is a key hole. The key is universal (like handcuffs?) that will fit in any new S&W revolver (all the way up to the 500 Magnum), so this lock seems more intended to prevent inadvertent use, rather than absolute security. When locked, neither the trigger or hammer will move. I don't recall if it locks the cylinder as well. (I can't find any left-side pictures at www.smith-wesson.com for illustration)

The key and hole are small, and don't seem very conducive to operation in a stressful situation. The alternative is to deal with the usual bulky Master Lock that goes through the trigger guard and poses the (not too likely) risk of activating the trigger. Another solution is to look into a one-gun lockbox that has electronic or mechanical 4 button combo pads that permit rapid access to a loaded gun.
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jun 15 2004, 02:54 PM
Post #51

thanks
+Quote Post
Hawktel
post Jun 15 2004, 03:21 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 506

QUOTE(mikester @ Jun 15 2004, 11:05 AM)
The 1911 is an extremely fine firearm.

If I were to own one, I think that would be the one.

I had a cousin who I would go shooting with every couple of months and he has an assortment of firearms. Particualarly though he had a 9mm an .45 I can't recall and the 1911. I was horrible with the 9mm and the other 45 but with the 1911 I was smooth as silk.

It is a great firearm.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep! Mike hit the nail on the head! Its odd, it seems like for a couple people out of a 100, that the 1911 just clicks. Go fire a 1911, and if your one of us, you'll buy it. I play around with other guns, but I can't see them ever being my first choice as a handgun.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jun 15 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #53

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Have to admit...I don't like doing stuff half-assed. So maybe I will look at a short-barrel shotgun for home protection / LA riot duty, plus also think about two handguns for the wife and I to learn on.

So more follow-up questions...a. what is a good, reliable shotgun of this type and b. what is a good "chick gun" for the wife? I am leaning towards a 9/10mm or .40/.45 kind of thing for myself but she is a smaller person by quite a bit. Not timid or physically weak but still a .45ACP or certainly one of the magnums is probably way out of the question.

Last question...is this a good anniversary gift? (Damn how time flies, #14 is approaching rapidly). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smlove2.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 15 2004, 11:15 PM
Post #54

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

.22's are a good cheap*practice guns

the 1911 is a nice gun (springfield armory, match grade w/titanium trigger,set at 3#'s and comp. barrel for faster recovery (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )
but I still think a revolver is better to start with....the monkey motion of the slide coming back can be somewhat distracting to a newbie

*cheap ammo, I don't believe in cheap guns and stray away from them
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 15 2004, 11:47 PM
Post #55

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

M-16/AR-15
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jun 16 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #56

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

For a shotgun... Remmington 11-87 SPS ....light recoil, 26" barel

Pics and specs HERE

Mine has a Aim Point lazer sight on it....point the red dot, pull trigger
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 16 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #57

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Mossberg Cruiser, 12 ga.
18 1/4 inch barrel, pistol grip.....but don't use the 3 inch mags......they hurt your hand. Not a wife unit.
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jun 16 2004, 01:09 AM
Post #58

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 15 2004, 09:23 PM)
any of you gun nuts recognize these parts? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

A die-cast 914
An AR-15 lower reciever
A FAL lower reciever

-Ben M. (I am not a nut) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
415PB
post Jun 16 2004, 03:24 AM
Post #59

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 996

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 14 2004, 08:35 PM)
In don't like "Plastic".... I want a weapon, to feel like a weapon... Like a Ruger 44 Magnum Super Red Hawk..... Thats a weapon.

No Jake, that would be a boat anchor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I would get her a shotgun. Never mind the pistol. Dont take the chance of her missing the guy and having rounds over penetrating the walls. I have plenty of handguns and would never let the wife use one for home protection. She gets the scatter gun and I keep the handguns.
+Quote Post
dflesburg
post Jun 16 2004, 06:23 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 1,896

For home protection I prefer the good old pump shotgun.

I can hit you in a hallway even in the dark, and after I shoot the first round, EVERYBODY knows somethings going on, and if you aren't dead, your running away....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif)

Come to think of it, I bet if I started up a chainsaw in a dark hallway it would make just about anybody pee their pants....

hmmm.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

"People always worry about the old neighborhood, if your crazy as I am people move away from you" - Kieth D. Los Angeles CA
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 08:19 AM