Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Here is a V8 nobody* has in a 914 :), it could be yours for $25K...ouch
Sammy
post Jun 22 2004, 07:37 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 178

Ferrari wins formula one because they spend more money doing it that anyone else on the planet.

I've heard numbers in excess of $500 million a year, I've heard that $15k of every ferrari purchase goes to fund the formula one program.
I can't personaly verrify these numbers so take them with a grain of salt, the point is they spend big bucks and do a great job.

Here's an interesting question, if Porsche spend $500 million a year on F1, how many races would they lose?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
serge914
post Jun 22 2004, 07:46 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 723

The problem is that Porsche doesn't spend much money racing anymore. Just look at the Grand-Am results.
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Jun 22 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 538

Here's another interesting car with an even more interesting engine

Anyone got $100,000 laying around?
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Jun 22 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(thesey914 @ Jun 22 2004, 05:07 AM)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Yeah and you ever tried to get spares for them?
(Italian cars in general)
Although Lamborghini are now looking good thanks to new owners (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This is not good looking IMHO
(IMG:http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/c/z/czc118/32enzo1.jpg)

Ah, but have you ever seen a 1959 Testarossa? V-12, lotsa carbs, pretty damn beautiful and fast, if you can't appreciate them you have no soul...quality comes and goes in most car lines but a classic is a classic...Period! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
RocknRollFrenzy
post Jun 22 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,305

QUOTE(Sammy @ Jun 22 2004, 05:37 PM)
Ferrari wins formula one because they spend more money doing it that anyone else on the planet.

I've heard numbers in excess of $500 million a year, I've heard that $15k of every ferrari purchase goes to fund the formula one program.
I can't personaly verrify these numbers so take them with a grain of salt, the point is they spend big bucks and do a great job.

Here's an interesting question, if Porsche spend $500 million a year on F1, how many races would they lose?

If you look at the list of published F1 budgets, Ferrari isn't at the top. Toyota is, and they've barely managed to finish in the points at all so far this season. McClaren and Williams both have bigger budgets this year too, and Honda is about equal. The $500 million figure is about right though, but its not to suprising in a series where your entry fee is nearly a million dolars per car per race.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jun 23 2004, 07:12 AM
Post #26

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jun 22 2004, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE(jandro62 @ Jun 22 2004, 06:29 PM)
If the Italians can't build engines worth anything, how come Ferrari engined cars repeatedly win without failure in F1? I mean, shummy couldn't win if the machine wasn't also great.

Yeah, they're great running engines and ONLY need to be rebuild every 3 hours. And for a Ferrari engine, that's not too bad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen

Yeah, they have what, 300-400 guys back at the shop working to prepare two cars and two engines? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Hawktel
post Jun 23 2004, 01:06 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 506

Here is a motor from a old tractor manufacter laying around at the local shop. Its nearly as long as the 914, but I think we could make it fit.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
thesey914
post Jun 23 2004, 03:02 PM
Post #28

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 66

Wow, is it from a Muria?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
Hawktel
post Jun 23 2004, 07:27 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(thesey914 @ Jun 23 2004, 01:02 PM)
Wow, is it from a Muria?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Its out of the Countach. Its a big engine. For 5 liters of displacement I think, its way larger than I thought it would be.

I love the 6 webers on each side though. I have another picture or so at home, I'll try to post them tonight. I think of one them shows the scale of this monstor better.
+Quote Post
MarkG
post Jun 23 2004, 09:05 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 2,102

O.K. here's the low-down on "V" (flat actually) 8 Ferrari engines:

on my GTSi I needed cam belts and gears done: $3500; needed clutch and flywheel: $2500; then needed timing cover bearings replaced: $600 parts and 22 hours labor. water pumps needed rebuilding every few years: $500 plus several hours labor....

3 years later (or 15k miles if it will actually last that long) it needs the timing belts changed again!!!

Timing belt skips a few teeth (as they can if smog pump seizes for example) or breaks, well a rebuild is about $15-20K.

With purchase price and repair costs on my 308, I could have bought every 914 for sale in America for the last year and had money left over for a nice Carrera.....
+Quote Post
drew365
post Jun 23 2004, 09:21 PM
Post #31

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

Yeah, they're great running engines and ONLY need to be rebuild every 3 hours. And for a Ferrari engine, that's not too bad

Jeroen; don't know which Ferrari you speak of but if you drove a classic front engined V-12 you would have a better appreciation of what made the Ferrari name stand for great cars.
+Quote Post
Hawktel
post Jun 24 2004, 01:04 AM
Post #32

Here is one more of the Lambo engine. The thing really is huge. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dflesburg
post Jun 24 2004, 05:47 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 1,896
Region Association: None

Why would you buy that when you could get the '03-'04 Cobra motor brand new from ford for 12k.

Mine is making 453 rwhp (thats about 535hp at the flywheel) with $1350 worth of bolt on parts. - Of course, its blown. But then again who doesn't like to be blown?
+Quote Post
Hawktel
post Jun 24 2004, 11:42 AM
Post #34

QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jun 24 2004, 03:47 AM)
Why would you buy that when you could get the '03-'04 Cobra motor brand new from ford for 12k.

Mine is making 453 rwhp (thats about 535hp at the flywheel) with $1350 worth of bolt on parts. - Of course, its blown. But then again who doesn't like to be blown?

Yeah Something like this dflesburg....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 08:20 AM