Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Slightly OT: Brake caliper painting, Tips, guidance
ninefourteener
post Jun 24 2004, 12:11 PM
Post #1

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Group: Members
Member No.: 779

Ok, so I just put a really sweet set of 18's on my Acura... I want to paint the calipers.

Ok.... let the anti-rice comments start here

Anyway... I found some kits to do it on e-bay for $18, plus like $12 for shipping.

Advance auto parts has the same kit for $15.

Question: Has anyone used it? Does it work? Tips to get it to look good?

BTW.. I know you folks like pics.. here ya go:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jun 24 2004, 12:14 PM
Post #2

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

I used caliper paint from PepBoys... cheap, you may have to reapply, but cheap... and looks good! I either say go cheap and plan on rerapplying every 1-2 years(if you are lucky... or get them powdercoated by a pro place...
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Jun 24 2004, 12:21 PM
Post #3

Is this the kit you are talking about???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33563

re-applying every 2 years at $15 a pop sounds like a much more sound decision than removing them and having them powdercoated.. especially considering this is my daily driver.

I'm planning on going with typical red..... but I'm unsure. I don't like the body kits, the funky colored lights, the aluminum spoilers... etc. Thats not my thing.

I bought a Type-R original spoiler for it (It's on the way), I'm going to put 1.5 inch drop springs on it, and I tried to buy wheels that were tasteful, not "ricey". Thats it.. after that, I'm leaving it alone.

You think red is too ricey? Stay with silver??
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 24 2004, 12:27 PM
Post #4

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I went to pep boys and bought the highest temp brake paint they had. Let me see.. Plasti Kote is what I bought. Red..

About hmm... 400 miles? They still look good, but they could use a good cleaning (strong soap will be needed to cut the brake dust). Also when painting, give them plenty of coats, and do not nick the paint. The paint gets a "powdercoated" feel once you use the calipers, ie get them hot. Then the paint is on there good.

Andrew
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jun 24 2004, 12:31 PM
Post #5

stoya, stoya, stoya

nah, I used just a 4$ can of caliper paint... resists brake fluid good enough from what I can tell and I don't drivethe teener much anyway... if this is for a daily driver, you may have to reapply the stuff 2x/year... these kits will probably last a whole year, maybe 2... YMMV

go body color... going red on them just b/c everyone does is lame... I went body color, just happened that the body color IS RED... if I had a black car, silver, or a color they don't make (i.e aubergine, have I mentioned I love that color?) I'd go with silver.... body color or neutral is classier IMHO

BTW, I only painted the calipers at all b/c they were already painted, but the paint was peeling off and looked like SHIT!! and no matter what, I couldn't get them clean enough to go without paint... some paint was there for LIFE, the rest was CRAP! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I say go for the kit, see how long it lasts... if it lasts 1 year, and you like the look still... get them powdercoated!!! not THAT expensive...
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jun 24 2004, 12:32 PM
Post #6

stoya, stoya, stoya

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 24 2004, 01:27 PM)
I went to pep boys and bought the highest temp brake paint they had. Let me see.. Plasti Kote is what I bought. Red..

About hmm... 400 miles? They still look good, but they could use a good cleaning (strong soap will be needed to cut the brake dust). Also when painting, give them plenty of coats, and do not nick the paint. The paint gets a "powdercoated" feel once you use the calipers, ie get them hot. Then the paint is on there good.

Andrew

yep, same stuff I got...
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Jun 24 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #7

Well this stuffcomes in a kit, with it's own special cleaner. And the paint is actually a 2 part paint that requires mixing. Supposedly, it's only good for 6 hours when mixed.. but it's supposed to have a really good, durable finish.

Hmmmmm... what the hell..... I'm gonna give it a shot.

I think you're right... silver would be best.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 08:22 AM