Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 76 914 non-cat mint survivor, Texas dry mint 1000% orig unmolested 914
Tom_T
post Dec 23 2011, 02:45 AM
Post #61

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 22 2011, 02:54 PM) *

Engine and hell hole area pictures please.

Jasen, he's looking for pix on the engine topside & below, and hell hole at the battery in the engine bay & cavity area just below it where 914s are known to rust.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bcheney
post Dec 23 2011, 06:39 AM
Post #62

Member No.: 1,348
Region Association: South East States

Very nice looking 914. One has to look at many to find one in this condition...
+Quote Post
BajaXJ92
post Dec 23 2011, 07:09 AM
Post #63

Extended Member

Member No.: 5,895
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

This car excites me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 23 2011, 02:45 PM
Post #64

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Gorgeous 914. Love the tan interior, it is a different vinyl than most. INteresting that it did not have foglights.

Is that tool kit on the blue hood from this car?

Its obvious this car is original but I have never seen a fuel tank with that gloopy texture coating on it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 23 2011, 02:56 PM
Post #65

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Post #7 - Did the 76's not have the holes cut for plugs? I thought that was just on replacement panels.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 23 2011, 04:43 PM
Post #66

TMI....

Jasen,

Based on your replies yesterday, today I called my mechanic who has worked on my 73 914-2.0 since I bought it in Dec. 75 (and he checked a couple of dozen 914s before that), who was factory trained on 914s. He directed me to the Cal BAR website pages I've linked below.

Apparently the 1996 changes now allow either CA or US-EPA smog controls equipped used vehicles to be registered in CA, but they still need to be smog checked to their respective CA or US standards. So I stand corrected on that out-of-state part.

You/anyone as a seller must provide a smog certification upon selling any car newer than 1973 (i.e.: `74 MY up - even though only 76 MY & up need to pass biannual inspections). I don't know if that can be applied to out-of-state sellers to have them get the check, since this is a CA state requirement, but my guess is it is up to the CA buyer/resident.

So there is the requirement to get a smog certificate for any car coming into CA to get it registered, although I would presume that one could get a Non-Op if it was currently registered out of state & wouldn't be driven in state. The smog check/certificate is good for the sale certificate for 90 days.

See these links & contact BAR &/or DMV with any questions:

See item #3 here re CA or US emissions eqpt.:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_S..._Equip_Req.html

Smog check reqts. here:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/01_ConsumerActivitie...aSmogCheck.html

A chart that makes the above easier: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_S..._smog_check.pdf

I hope this sheds some light on your beauty there, & again - good luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I'll post this in the Garage Forum too, since it affects other folks here too.

Merry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif) & Happy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
Tom
///////

+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 25 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #67

914 Wiring Harnesses

Its doubtful that a smog cert would be a problem for this car, but if it is, installing a cat would probably take care of it.
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Dec 26 2011, 07:48 AM
Post #68

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

Wow. Just wow..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Amazing car.
+Quote Post
Stonepilot
post Dec 27 2011, 08:29 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 13,863
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(jasen29 @ Dec 22 2011, 04:43 PM) *

I though you said 1000% no rust, looks like rust to me but nice car
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 27 2011, 09:53 AM
Post #70

TMI....

QUOTE(jasen29 @ Dec 22 2011, 03:22 PM) *

Has the rear trunk floor been replaced, or just resprayed?

I think I see some overspray on the clips for the jack straps, which wouldn't have been in place at the factory spray originally.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 27 2011, 11:13 AM
Post #71

914 Wiring Harnesses

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 27 2011, 07:53 AM) *

I think I see some overspray on the clips for the jack straps, which wouldn't have been in place at the factory spray originally.

Tom...that painted clip is welded to the trunk floor, the galv flat metal tab is on the rubber strap end...looks original to me.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 27 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #72

TMI....

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 27 2011, 09:13 AM) *

Tom...that painted clip is welded to the trunk floor, the galv flat metal tab is on the rubber strap end...looks original to me.

Thanx Jeff, the ones on my 73 must've been masked all the way down then, because it was raw metal (silver color) all the way down the clips - or were before my own repaints.
+Quote Post
jasen29
post Dec 27 2011, 12:52 PM
Post #73

I'm new here ...

Member No.: 13,922

Tom...that painted BRACKETT is welded to the trunk floor, the galv flat metal tab is on the rubber strap end...looks original to me. TOM AND jEFF ,, many times something is so rare to find in it's origianl state that no one remembers it that way< and then it is questioned .There are many things on this car that are that way . to me? thaT IS PART OF THE FUN !!!. REALIZING THAT WE MAY HAVE NOT KNOWN ALL ALONG AND NOW WE DO!

Tom from jasen (owner) Jeff is correct that is a Mint ( original )piece of galvanized strap metal that is overlayed againist the painted brackett underneath. THE TRUNK HAS NEVER BEEN TOUCHED!. as 98% of the rest of the total volume of paint on the entire car> some very very small areas have been touched up from nicks with a tooth pick and or small pin line brush. the engine bay is mint, MINT , MINT MINT MINT MINT as well as the hell hole , door jams, trunk (frt and rear) underbody has no undercoat all IS ,MINT FROM ORIGINAL! Note: SO MUCH OF THIS CAR IS MINT ORIGINAL THAT I HAVE HAD TO DO GREAT RESEARCH AND COMPARISON TO OTHERS AND THAT MY FINDINGS ARE THAT REALLY , THIS CAR , IN ALMOST ALL WAYS , SHOULD BE USED AS THE " STANDARD " OR MODEL" TO COMPARE OTHERS WHEN IT COMES TO AUTHENTICITY AND ORIGINALITY. NOT A FASTENER, NUT , BOLT , SEAL, SCREW, BOLT , CLIP, MOULDING, GASKET, BOOT, WASHER, GLASS, VINYL, CARPET, HINGE, PLASTIC PIECE,HAS BEEN CHANGED FROM NEW
+Quote Post
jasen29
post Dec 27 2011, 12:59 PM
Post #74

I'm new here ...

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 23 2011, 02:43 PM) *

Jasen,

Based on your replies yesterday, today I called my mechanic who has worked on my 73 914-2.0 since I bought it in Dec. 75 (and he checked a couple of dozen 914s before that), who was factory trained on 914s. He directed me to the Cal BAR website pages I've linked below.

Apparently the 1996 changes now allow either CA or US-EPA smog controls equipped used vehicles to be registered in CA, but they still need to be smog checked to their respective CA or US standards. So I stand corrected on that out-of-state part.

You/anyone as a seller must provide a smog certification upon selling any car newer than 1973 (i.e.: `74 MY up - even though only 76 MY & up need to pass biannual inspections). I don't know if that can be applied to out-of-state sellers to have them get the check, since this is a CA state requirement, but my guess is it is up to the CA buyer/resident.

So there is the requirement to get a smog certificate for any car coming into CA to get it registered, although I would presume that one could get a Non-Op if it was currently registered out of state & wouldn't be driven in state. The smog check/certificate is good for the sale certificate for 90 days.

See these links & contact BAR &/or DMV with any questions:

See item #3 here re CA or US emissions eqpt.:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_S..._Equip_Req.html

Smog check reqts. here:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/01_ConsumerActivitie...aSmogCheck.html

A chart that makes the above easier: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_S..._smog_check.pdf

I hope this sheds some light on your beauty there, & again - good luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I'll post this in the Garage Forum too, since it affects other folks here too.

Merry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif) & Happy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
Tom
/////// thank you for your clearing that up with all the readers as such> Again< the most important aspect of your statement ( and reality) is the " grandfathering" of all cars into california smog law as passable as long as they come with there own normal and appropriate smog equipment intact from the state in which it was born. This , in terms of all of the " smog " debacle over the years is the one thing that AQMD, CAR and all the regulating bodies actually got right!!!

+Quote Post
jasen29
post Dec 27 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #75

I'm new here ...

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 27 2011, 09:32 AM) *

Jeff and Tom< you can faintly see the spot welds on the yellow part of the brackett that holds it to the floor and the silver clip metal that is part of the strap
Thanx Jeff, the ones on my 73 must've been masked all the way down then, because it was raw metal (silver color) all the way down the clips - or were before my own repaints.

+Quote Post
jasen29
post Dec 27 2011, 01:05 PM
Post #76

I'm new here ...

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 23 2011, 12:45 PM) *

Gorgeous 914. Love the tan interior, it is a different vinyl than most. INteresting that it did not have foglights. yeah< I don't know whjy either

Is that tool kit on the blue hood from this car?

Its obvious this car is original but I have never seen a fuel tank with that gloopy texture coating on it.

yes , that is the tool kit , gloppy goo on the tank is a trip ! and it is 100 % orig, NOTE " look at the cardboard tubes and the various bracketts ,,,,see how they look like the day they came off the factory floor?
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Dec 27 2011, 01:13 PM
Post #77

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

I think you're misremembering Tom, because my '73 is identical .....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 27 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #78

TMI....

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Dec 27 2011, 11:13 AM) *

I think you're misremembering Tom, because my '73 is identical .....

Naw.... I remember cuz I had a fit with the painter cuz he didn't mask it nor anything else he should have in the trunks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

But it actually probably makes more sense to have those welds painted for rust protection, whereas the top would only chip if painted when you clip the rubber strap down on it.

Enough sidetracking poor Jasen's ad for a beautiful 914! ...at least we're keeping it on the top of the list with posting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) ... for those looking for a 76 2.0 in Yellow on Cinnamon interior!

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

+Quote Post
tod914
post Dec 27 2011, 08:44 PM
Post #79

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Good luck with your sale Jason. Beautiful car. Well worth your price.
+Quote Post
Carter
post Dec 27 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #80

I'm new here ...

Member No.: 13,940

Dude, I'm out on the East coast but will be back in Santa Barbara on the second. I'd like to see this 914.looks about right.9178858700
[font=Arial Black]
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 12:12 PM