Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TRANSMISSION REBUILT DVD, TRANSMISSION REBUILT DVD
Dr Evil
post Jan 9 2012, 09:17 AM
Post #21

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

BAO, the new seals do bunch up on the outside diameter when installed. This is not a problem as they still seal. If you can feel roughness in the seal bore, then it needs addressed. If not, then you are good to install with PVC pipe, lube outside of seal with vasoline or oil, and if it bunches a little on the outside, that is not a problem.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Jan 9 2012, 09:47 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 13,967
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 9 2012, 07:17 AM) *

BAO, the new seals do bunch up on the outside diameter when installed. This is not a problem as they still seal. If you can feel roughness in the seal bore, then it needs addressed. If not, then you are good to install with PVC pipe, lube outside of seal with vasoline or oil, and if it bunches a little on the outside, that is not a problem.

Dr Evil,

I'm leaving it up for you to decide once i removed the gears and send the case to you.

Without any experience I'm not in position to take any chances. With your experience and knowledge I can sleep much better.

Any way i will post a damaged seal that i installed so we can view it.

I will study the video once i get it and proceed from there.

Thanks again,
Bao B
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 9 2012, 09:57 AM
Post #23

Always glad to help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 9 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #24

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Black22 @ Jan 6 2012, 10:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 6 2012, 07:46 PM) *

CAPS LOCK. TURN IT OFF. IT'S RUDE TO TYPE THIS WAY. PEOPLE THINK YOU ARE YELLING AT THEM.

THANKS.

REALLY? I COULDN'T DETECT HIS TONE...ANYONE ELSE?

I think we can let someone with 7 posts to his credit slide on this and just try and help him with his problem.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Maybe you could just LOAN him you're DVD Zach. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Ouch! Damn Zack, you steal one damned chicken and what happens? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 7 2012, 11:38 AM) *

HEY MIKE (DR EVIL) ... PM ME YOUR PAYPAL ADDRESS FOR DONATION.

AND I AM YELLING AS I HAVE CHS (CAN'T HEAR SHIT), SO I HAVE TO YELL TO HEAR MYSELF TYPE.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) It's true. He can't even hear himself fart! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Jan 10 2012, 01:03 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 9 2012, 07:57 AM) *

Always glad to help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Hi,
While waiting for the video i have a question.

If i want to go ahead and remove the tail cone, aside from being aware that the reverse gear & little bearings and maybe the first gear can fall out what else do i need to be aware of.

Do i need to set the gears at certain position to remove the tail cone? if so, how do i set the gear at that certain position?

Thanks,
Bao B.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 10 2012, 02:08 PM
Post #26

Bao,

You can just pull the cone. No worries, there. Catch/find all the parts afterwards and you are fine.
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Jan 11 2012, 08:44 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 10 2012, 12:08 PM) *

Bao,

You can just pull the cone. No worries, there. Catch/find all the parts afterwards and you are fine.

Thanks Dr. Evil,

I will removed the cone and keep all the parts in the right place.
After the cone is removed my next step is to remove the intermediate plate and from what i understand is that you must set the gears accordingly in order to lift the plate out.

According to your rebuilt page, you must set the fourth/fifth gear accordingly, is this also apply to my 901? (same configuration?)

I'm looking forward to removed the gears and send the empty to you.

Thanks, Bao B.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 11 2012, 11:34 AM
Post #28

This is particularly important with your transmission as it has a different shifter. Just follow the guide in my rebuild page and you will be fine.
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Jan 11 2012, 12:28 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 11 2012, 09:34 AM) *

This is particularly important with your transmission as it has a different shifter. Just follow the guide in my rebuild page and you will be fine.

great! i'll do that and keep you in touch.

thanks,
Bao b.
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Jan 13 2012, 08:49 AM
Post #30

QUOTE(BAO B @ Jan 11 2012, 10:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 11 2012, 09:34 AM) *

great! i'll do that and keep you in touch.

thanks,
Bao b.

Hello Dr. Evil

I have a question on removing the gear stack from the case.

I attached 4 pics to make it easier to understand.

Pic 1 shows after the tail end cone removed exposing the first gears and 4th/5th gear rod protruding.

Pic 2 shows reversed unit/pin and fork removed.

Pic 3 shows 4th/5th gear rod pushed downward.

Pic 4 shows a slight opening.. about 1/16" after i tapped the edges of the intermediate plate.

My question is so far i'm doing everything correctly? If everything so far is good, should i continue tapping on the edges of the int. plate?, even though it's very tight and required heavy effort just to opened 1/16".

Thanks,
Bao B

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 13 2012, 09:22 AM
Post #31

You have the wrong rod selected. You have pushed in the 2-3 rod to 3rd gear. The 4-5 rod is the one on the left of the 4th pic. You will need to reach in and put the trans back into neutral, then push the correct rod in. Then it should slide out pretty easily (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Another tip is to pull the shifter rod out of its holder in the case so that it is just flopping around. That will allow for more movement when you pull the stack (about 30# for the assembly).
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Jan 13 2012, 09:44 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 13 2012, 07:22 AM) *

You have the wrong rod selected. You have pushed in the 2-3 rod to 3rd gear. The 4-5 rod is the one on the left of the 4th pic. You will need to reach in and put the trans back into neutral, then push the correct rod in. Then it should slide out pretty easily (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Another tip is to pull the shifter rod out of its holder in the case so that it is just flopping around. That will allow for more movement when you pull the stack (about 30# for the assembly).

Thanks for the quick reply,

I feel terrible selecting the wrong rod.. I guess i just have to learn from it.

Now, how do I "reach in and put the trans back in neutral"??
I think the opening of the fork (removed) is where we start to set it back to neutral.

And yes, the shifter rod is out of its holder and are flopping around.

Thanks so much for helping out.

Bao B
+Quote Post
MrHyde
post Jan 13 2012, 03:35 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 12,268

Got my video yesterday... Hilarious ! and Informative... I've finished the first disk and will go to the second tonight... So far it doesn't look incredibly complicated.
Thanks !
Mike
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 13 2012, 05:02 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(BAO B @ Jan 13 2012, 10:44 AM) *

I think the opening of the fork (removed) is where we start to set it back to neutral.

Bao B

Bao, if you look at the pics in my build thread you will see how neutral looks through the side hole. Basically, put the shaft you moved back to where it was. Then, move the other shaft.
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Jan 14 2012, 07:53 AM
Post #35

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 13 2012, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(BAO B @ Jan 13 2012, 10:44 AM) *

Bao B

Bao, if you look at the pics in my build thread you will see how neutral looks through the side hole. Basically, put the shaft you moved back to where it was. Then, move the other shaft.

Dr. Evil,
I managed to select the correct rod shown on pic. 2.

Pic. 1 shows how it look through the folk opening.

My problem now is that it doesn't seem to move a hair after i pounded around the edge of the plate. It seem like it doesn't move at all even when hitted pretty hard... I didn't want to proceed any further in fear of damaging the int. plate.
I think is smart to check with you first before creating a huge mess over something that may be very simple.

Thanks in advance,
Bao B.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 14 2012, 08:15 AM
Post #36

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Dr. Evil is the man when it comes to our transaxles.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 14 2012, 08:24 AM
Post #37

Bao,

you have it all set to come out. It looks as if your shifter shaft is caught. Make sure it is loose. You have 1st selected as well which keeps the gears from turning at all (you have both 5 and 1 selected). This is not a problem, but it may be easier if you pull the 1st slider back to neutral and then try to remove the stack. There is nothing to hold it in the case other than the shifter rod getting hung up. You just need to pull up and wiggle a little (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

If you think this is hard, wait until you have to put it back in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

....watch the DVD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Jan 14 2012, 09:24 AM
Post #38

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 14 2012, 06:24 AM) *

Bao,

you have it all set to come out. It looks as if your shifter shaft is caught. Make sure it is loose. You have 1st selected as well which keeps the gears from turning at all (you have both 5 and 1 selected). This is not a problem, but it may be easier if you pull the 1st slider back to neutral and then try to remove the stack. There is nothing to hold it in the case other than the shifter rod getting hung up. You just need to pull up and wiggle a little (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

If you think this is hard, wait until you have to put it back in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Dr. Evil,
I will pull the 1gear back to neutral and will make sure that the shifter rod is loose and not getting caught.
From this point i'm confident as you stated that "nothing is holding up in the case" and will proceed on forcing it out.
Thanks
Bao B.
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Jan 14 2012, 02:51 PM
Post #39

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 14 2012, 06:24 AM) *

Bao,

FREE AT LAST!!!! YES!!!!

I was able to removed the gear stack. I did some close up on the gears to view. Maybe you can spot something on the gears pic. and welcome to comment. Now, i need to pack the case and send it to you by usps to installed the oil seal for me, takes about 7 working days, since i'm not in a rush also save some money for shipping this way.

I will include along with the case 2 oil seals and 2 gaskets cut out (one from the int. plate and one from main case), if i may ask you to measure the 2 gasket, so that i can buy the correct thickness gasket to fit between int. plate and main case.
Your quote before for $20 to installed the seal and maybe another $5 for measuring the gaskets, is that ok. and ofcourse shipping cost.

Dr. Evil, please provide me an address to send case to you.

Thanks so very much for helping out.
Bao b.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 14 2012, 03:13 PM
Post #40

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) Good job, Bao.

Watch the DVD and let me know what YOU think needs replaced (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Watching the DVD will help guide you to what pics to take and post up for inspection, rather than me going all over it again.

I will PM the address. No charge to measure the seal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 12:25 PM