Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TRANSMISSION REBUILT DVD, TRANSMISSION REBUILT DVD
Gint
post Jan 14 2012, 03:23 PM
Post #41

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Dude those are killer pictures!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 26 2012, 09:37 PM
Post #42

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Bao,

I got the trans case, cleaned off the old gaskets, checked the sealing surface of the front gasket, cleaned out the inside, and installed your new seal. I think what you were seeing was the seal bunching on the outside. This looks bad, but is common with the new style seals and is not an issue. The old style had a step on the outside that hid this process from view. I will contact you for return shipping payment and such.
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Jan 27 2012, 08:28 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 13,967
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 26 2012, 07:37 PM) *

Bao,

I got the trans case, cleaned off the old gaskets, checked the sealing surface of the front gasket, cleaned out the inside, and installed your new seal. I think what you were seeing was the seal bunching on the outside. This looks bad, but is common with the new style seals and is not an issue. The old style had a step on the outside that hid this process from view. I will contact you for return shipping payment and such.

Thanks so much,
When shipping the case back to me, please include gaskets ( fit between int. plate and main case).
I will look for your email for payment.

Bao
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Feb 12 2012, 05:19 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(BAO B @ Jan 27 2012, 06:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 26 2012, 07:37 PM) *

Bao,

Thanks so much,
When shipping the case back to me, please include gaskets ( fit between int. plate and main case).
I will look for your email for payment.

Bao

Dr. Evil,
Got the case back, everything is good.
Now that i'm ready to put it all back together i have a question to ask.
First, the 2 gaskets that goes in between the int. plate and main case, do i need to put sealant in between?
Second, the single gasket that goes in between the int. plate and the tail cone, do i need sealant there?
Also, watching the trans. dvd 2 the section where you dropped the gears into the main case, you have the 4/5 gear selected..and once the gears are in you used a screw driver to set the 4/5 gear back to neutral...specifically where is the place that the screw driver lean against in order for you to push the selector rod for 4/5 gears back to neutral?
Thanks very much in advance.
Bao

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 12 2012, 05:27 PM
Post #45

Hey Bao,

as in the DVD, there is no sealant used anywhere. Just put them on dry and you are good.

For the gear selection, I cant explain better or show you better than the DVD. The simple explanation is to look inside the hole on the side of the tranz to see the rod, then put your screwdriver in there and move the 4-5 rod back into neutral. You wont mess it up.
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Feb 18 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 12 2012, 03:27 PM) *

Hey Bao,

as in the DVD, there is no sealant used anywhere. Just put them on dry and you are good.

For the gear selection, I cant explain better or show you better than the DVD. The simple explanation is to look inside the hole on the side of the tranz to see the rod, then put your screwdriver in there and move the 4-5 rod back into neutral. You wont mess it up.

Dr. Evil,
I study the dvd carefully and was able to successfully installed the gears and put the 4/5 gears back to neutral.. YES!!! Thank you.
The question now is the selector rod in the correct position, as in pic. 2 the rod is in the case with all gears in neutral.
Pic. 3 shows the close up of the "dong" positioned.
Pic 4 shows the fork cover in position with the two fingers pointing upward.
the selector rod will be in between the two fingers on the fork once the fork is installed.
You noticed in pic 4 there is a skinny o ring seal only and no paper gasket seal.. is this correct? do i need a paper gasket seal also?
so, from pic 1 to 4, i'm correct so far as selector rod positioning?

Also, one question on the reverse gear bearing.
pic. 5 shows one side of the bearing with the inner circle area lifted.
pic 6 shows one side of the bearing with the inner circled area NOT LIFTED.
which is the correct installed position? pic. 5 or pic. 6?

Again as always, thanks for all your input and knowledge.
Bao

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 18 2012, 10:18 PM
Post #47

Well, if the dong is in the channel in the shift rods, you are good. However, the O-ring you have on the fork doesnt go on to this transmission. You need to use the paper gasket instead.

The rest looks good to go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The tailshifter/nose shifter911 are the hardest to reassemble. A real PITA to get it all lined up. You should fee very proud to have come this far (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Feb 19 2012, 04:26 PM
Post #48

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 18 2012, 08:18 PM) *

Well, if the dong is in the channel in the shift rods, you are good. However, the O-ring you have on the fork doesnt go on to this transmission. You need to use the paper gasket instead.

The rest looks good to go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The tailshifter/nose shifter911 are the hardest to reassemble. A real PITA to get it all lined up. You should fee very proud to have come this far (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Dr. Evil,
That's great. Can you help as far as the reverse gear bearing is concern?
I'm not sure which side facing upward base on pic. 5 and pic 6.

Thanks again,
Bao
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 20 2012, 08:44 AM
Post #49

Bao, the bearing can go in either way. No top or bottom to worry about. Just make sure you put it UNDER the gear (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Feb 20 2012, 11:05 AM
Post #50

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 20 2012, 06:44 AM) *

Bao, the bearing can go in either way. No top or bottom to worry about. Just make sure you put it UNDER the gear (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Great. thanks so much.
I'll keep you and others posted upon the completion of the trans.
Bao
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Feb 22 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #51

QUOTE(BAO B @ Feb 20 2012, 09:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 20 2012, 06:44 AM) *

Great. thanks so much.
I'll keep you and others posted upon the completion of the trans.
Bao

Hello Dr. Evil
I check all over the U.S. for the paper gasket for the folk cover and none have them in-house.
Is in germany and won't be available for 3 weeks.

Do you have any available for me to buy? Or do you know any one have them?

Let me know.
thanks, Bao
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 22 2012, 05:04 PM
Post #52

I will check. This is for an early 911 so is far less common, but I may have one.
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Feb 22 2012, 06:49 PM
Post #53

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 22 2012, 03:04 PM) *

I will check. This is for an early 911 so is far less common, but I may have one.

Thanks,
Let me know and i'll pay whatever for your trouble.
Bao
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Feb 22 2012, 07:36 PM
Post #54

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Looking at some of the first photos of first gear dog teeth they look worn don't they???
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 22 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #55

Good eyes, Jeff. The dog teeth for 1st are shot. The slider may not be. I see decent teeth, although far away, in post 39 pic 1.

Bao, you should consider replacing those dog teeth on first gear. I can help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Feb 23 2012, 08:12 AM
Post #56

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 22 2012, 05:49 PM) *

Good eyes, Jeff. The dog teeth for 1st are shot. The slider may not be. I see decent teeth, although far away, in post 39 pic 1.

Bao, you should consider replacing those dog teeth on first gear. I can help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Dr. Evil
I got what you're saying now after reading this, so forget about my earlier email to you.
So, how do i send you the gears (dog teeth) to be replaced. Where do i start??
Thanks, Bao
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Feb 24 2012, 06:59 PM
Post #57

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 22 2012, 05:49 PM) *

Dr. Evil,

I'm going through this and try to describe what we have to do.

Pics taking from your video, pic 4 to pic 9 described how to remove the first gear.
pic 4: removed the bolt, pic 5 removed the gear and hand fork in place,
pic 6 shows gear and fork together, pic 7 shows separation of fork and gear,
pic 8 and 9 shows the damage gear.

Is this what i need to do?
if so, pic 1 shows the bolt from my trans, and should be removed, first thing ..correct?
pic 2 shows the actual gear that is the same as the one from pic 8 and 9, correct?
pic 3 shows another gear that should be left in place? i'm not sure.

Well, let me know how i do so far.

Thanks, Bao

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 24 2012, 11:21 PM
Post #58

Bao, you are close. Nice posting pics from the DVD, that helps a lot.

The part posted in the last pic is the slider. It would be nice to see pics of yours close up, but it was looking promising. The part I need is held in by the large 30mm bolt. The gear and teeth are what that slider pictured go to.

One word of caution to help you not get too deep. Before you remove the slider to get to the 1st gear, mark the end of the shaft and the fork so you can reassemble them correctly and will not need to readjust using a jig.
+Quote Post
BAO B
post Feb 25 2012, 07:17 AM
Post #59

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 24 2012, 09:21 PM) *

Bao, you are close. Nice posting pics from the DVD, that helps a lot.

The part posted in the last pic is the slider. It would be nice to see pics of yours close up, but it was looking promising. The part I need is held in by the large 30mm bolt. The gear and teeth are what that slider pictured go to.

One word of caution to help you not get too deep. Before you remove the slider to get to the 1st gear, mark the end of the shaft and the fork so you can reassemble them correctly and will not need to readjust using a jig.

Dr. Evil,
So, the part you need is the picture i included in this post where i pointed to the bottom gear, which is the first gear correct? From this pic. can you tell if the teeth are 50% ..70% or garbage at this stage?

If this is correct, base on your video I would need a jig [rectangle plate with 2 circle holes in it] to lock in place and to removed the 80 ft lb torqued 30 mm bolt. This required the stack NOT in the trans. case..
which is not my situation.

But in my case since i already dropped the gears stack in the trans. case and i hate to take it out again, would it be much easier to use the modified tool "first gear slider with a long rod welded to it"? as shown from your video. In that case, the question is is this modified tool available to be rented out?? Let me know?

Let assume i have the correct tools to removed the 30 mm bolt. In the case with the modified tool [1st gear slider with rod..] I think your dvd shows that all gears must be in NEUTRAL..correct??? before sliding the tool in place and using the 30mm breaker bar to remove the bolt. Let me know if i'm correct with all gears in NEUTRAL??

That's all for now.

Thanks again,
BaoAttached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 25 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #60

Yup, the part in the pic. It is about 30% at best.

I have a tool I can ship you for holding the shaft while the stack is in the case. It is a smaller version of the one in my DVD so ships easier.

Also, you are in luck as I have found ONE nose cone seal for your early 911 in my parts bin. Not a common part (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 12:23 PM