Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I didn't even know I loved 914's, 'Till I bought one in August '11
Mike Bellis
post Jan 21 2012, 11:03 PM
Post #41

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

You East Coast people are crazy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I would be very surprised if someone in California would even consider a resto like that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

I commend you for your comitment. But still crazy!

Good luck and thanks for saving another 914! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 21 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #42

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

We make do with what we have over here.
Go Dawn! Kick ass, take names!
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 21 2012, 11:48 PM
Post #43

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Germancar-Junkie @ Jan 21 2012, 08:43 PM) *

Yep. That's my hand. I'm female, but my love of cars runs deep. And I'm doing all the work myself, except for the welding, hubby will help on that.

Dawn,
I want to introduce you to my wife, Betty. She is a 914 addict, and has been one for 26 years (And she is the one who got me hooked!!!). The 74 1.8L she has is the first 914 I ever drove, and has 300,00 + miles on it. It is her daily driver, complete with functional Air conditioning. She gets out in the garage and does a lot of her own work, but most of the time she lets me do the work, as I am faster at it.

And as for "Austin", don't give up. Betty's car burned to the point where the windshield fell in, and we were able to restore it. I would suggest you go to the local community college and take a welding course, then get the needed sheet metal from restoration design or equivalent. You will end up with a nice car, and you can tell the boxster and 911 drivers "You bought yours, I built mine" with pride.

If you need encouragement, we can help. If you were closer to us, we would help that way too.

And welcome to the madness that owning a 914 brings!

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 22 2012, 09:31 AM
Post #44

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435

Learning to weld at the CC is the "right" thing to do...

But if you happen to have a mig welder on hand, get some scrap metal in 18 to 20 ga and just start practicing. If someone is there for pointers, you can make functional (if ugly) welds within an hour. By the end of your restoration, you will be able to make functional, but less ugly, welds. I speak from personal experience on this.

I have a feeling you have enough people around you that learning to weld would not be difficult for you. At all.

Zach
+Quote Post
Germancar-Junkie
post Jan 22 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #45

Man pedals aren't just for men

Member No.: 14,004

I don't like to think of myself as the West Coast definition of crazy. I think of it more like having a sense of adventure that knows no bounds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) The Mid Atlantic area is the rock salt capital of the world. And we are no strangers to rust. Quite honestly, I am more intimidated by the thought of replacing the rubber weatherstripping than I am about the thought of repairing the "frame".

ClayPerrine: I am inspired and relieved by the story of your wife, Betty, and the restoration of the 914 that burned. The fact that she feels at home in the garage, like me, isn't a trait found in many women. She and I are truly a rare find. It feels good to know I am not alone. I am going to check out the local CC to see what they offer. Thanks for the encouragement!

Zach: I've often thought of attempting the MIG. It looks less intimidating than the arc welder. And luckily, we have of scrap in 18 and 20 gauge left over from fabricating panels on my husband's dirt track car. I'll see if I can talk him into letting me try it. Under close supervision, of course. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Feb 19 2012, 01:32 PM
Post #46

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

Well I for one am jealous of you! I bought mine sight unseen and now that
I saw I wept, but, not for long. At least you got a chance to drive her. Mine won't be there for quite a while. I will be flatbedding her home end of week and will work up my driving plan. I noticed your fender rust. Looks just like mine! However I compare it to buying that 200 Mill Lottery ticket. I have the hopes and dreams, that is all the fun. Once it is complete, I will have to find my yuks elsewhere. My outer longitudinals, well, lets just say I was pulling them off with my fingers around the jack points.

My basic plan is this, pull off the loose stuff. Evaluate for rigidity, get the die grinder out and start grinding and see where I end up. I have done full restorations and I think the previous posts make sense in just doing what you need to make it safe and drive. It is easier to spread the costs around, and you will learn more as time goes by and change your opinions on how you want to do things. Keep the faith! I am addicted already and the ink is barely dry on my check. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) Looking for a used Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln. Can't wait to start on the longitudinals. The fender is another matter. Looks like we will have to barter for used replacements! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 01:58 PM