Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 901 bearing races...., How loose is too loose? Brad?
bondo
post Sep 17 2004, 12:33 PM
Post #1

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Group: Members
Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

It's getting close to time to start taking apart transmissions so I can get at least one good one out of the bunch. I know there's been talk of loose bearing races in the case, but I don't know how tight they should be or how loose they can be before it's a problem. Is it a press in fit, or drop in with no noticable wiggle? Or do I need to measure it with some sort of expensive equipment? (all I have are digital calipers and a dial guage)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bondo
post Sep 17 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #2

Bump? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
Red-Beard
post Sep 17 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #3

"Ya canna change the laws of Physics"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 288
Region Association: None

--Royce

DAPO Auto Repair "We screw up your car so you don't have to."

LMAO!

Wayne - it needed at least 102 projects...
+Quote Post
sgomes
post Sep 17 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #4

Electric Member

Member No.: 2,029

I'm only an expert in paying for things but as someone who is paying for loose bearing races I'll put in my 2cents.

Something that is pressed in shouldn't move at all! So, if you can move it then you're in trouble. Mine you could reach three fingers or so inside the race and twist it pretty easy. It kinda made that familiar sound that almost everything else on the car makes... "cha-ching".... $$$$ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
bondo
post Sep 18 2004, 11:02 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(sgomes @ Sep 17 2004, 09:44 PM)
I'm only an expert in paying for things but as someone who is paying for loose bearing races I'll put in my 2cents.

Something that is pressed in shouldn't move at all! So, if you can move it then you're in trouble. Mine you could reach three fingers or so inside the race and twist it pretty easy. It kinda made that familiar sound that almost everything else on the car makes... "cha-ching".... $$$$ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Thanks, that's pretty much what I wanted to know. I didn't know if it was supposed to be a press fit, as I have never seen a known good one.
+Quote Post
silver2.0
post Sep 18 2004, 02:37 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,715

Your best bet is a micrometer and a telescoping gage. A good general rule of thumb for most bearings is .0005"+/-, depending on the bearing. If you have .001 clearance, a bearing will tap on with little resistance usually if the surface finish is good. Any less and you need to warm it up to at least 200 degrees F. .002" clearance, and the bearing will slide on by hand easily. You rarely have an interference fit of more than .0005, becuase the bearings start to bind, unless they are specifically designed for this purpose. Hope this gives you a few ideas.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Sep 18 2004, 09:31 PM
Post #7

I believe the fit in the case is fitting the bearing race into a machined pocket in the case.. so i'd either have to freeze the bearing or heat the case. But that doesn't really matter as I don't think there has ever been a problem with it being too tight, just too loose. If I find that all my cases are loose, I'll try and borrow a telescoping guage and micrometer to find the best one (if it isn't obvious).
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 12:33 PM