Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's the best radiator set up?, Most efficient set up for overall cooling, airflow ect...
Fastcruisin914
post Oct 13 2012, 12:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,031
Region Association: None

I am doing a Subaru conversion, and am looking for the best proven cooling system.

I have seen the Renegade Hybrid kit, worth the cost??? I have also seen some refer to Desert hybrid, are they still even around or doing 914 radiator kits, and if so are they any good?

So many factors like, front trunk radiator set ups, or rear truck set ups?

The angle of the radiator in the front truck, straight up against the front saving trunk space, or sitting back further and angled, or even in the floor of the trunk?

Also with the air flow, big cuts in the wheel wells, or many holes in the wheel wells, or venting through the trunk floor, or through the hood with the air going up, what is the best way for the air flow without taking from the vehicle structurally?

Pictures would be nice, or even something that may show the step by step process from start to finish with the cooling system install/fabrication.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
speed metal army
post Oct 13 2012, 01:01 PM
Post #2

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

I did a build thread a couple weeks ago.. Renegades cooling setup.
Some fairly decent photos of the rad setup.Cools nicely.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Oct 13 2012, 02:13 PM
Post #3

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Here's a good thread to look at-
Radiators/Fans
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 13 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #4

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

search suby conversions here and you'll see a few. Also, ruby914 has a nice set up. his build thread is over at clubnarp. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Fastcruisin914
post Oct 14 2012, 12:11 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 15,031

Thank You for the replies.

@Speed Metal Army - Yours is a Renegade setup, does Renegade provide a Good overall kit, as in;

Is Renegade kit free floating (i read that bolting directly causes issues) do they provide some kind of frame work and rubber mounting for free floating?

What about the Sheet metal shroud to guide the air into the radiator?

Is there a Overflow tank with Renegade?

Do they provide hose hangers for running the coolant hoses under the car?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out what all is in the Renegade kit from someone that purchased one, and if its worth the money. Or if I should go the cheaper route, which I am not a fabricator of any kind, so a difficult decision.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 14 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #6

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Rennegade kit is worth the money. Contact renegade for your questions.

From a guy that built his own cooling system..
+Quote Post
speed metal army
post Oct 14 2012, 01:30 PM
Post #7

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Fastcruisin914 @ Oct 14 2012, 11:11 AM) *

Thank You for the replies.

@Speed Metal Army - Yours is a Renegade setup, does Renegade provide a Good overall kit, as in;

Is Renegade kit free floating (i read that bolting directly causes issues) do they provide some kind of frame work and rubber mounting for free floating?

What about the Sheet metal shroud to guide the air into the radiator?

Is there a Overflow tank with Renegade?

Do they provide hose hangers for running the coolant hoses under the car?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out what all is in the Renegade kit from someone that purchased one, and if its worth the money. Or if I should go the cheaper route, which I am not a fabricator of any kind, so a difficult decision.

Yes,its free floating.No shrounding to the rad in the front,but they provide everything to encapsulate the rad in the front trunk.They provide a filler neck,but no puke can(overflow tank).That can be found in a zillion different sizes/configurations at the FLAPS.The hangers they will provide,but your better off just getting them yourself.Look for 1.25" conduit straps.
Mine works well.It was easy.I have yet to duct the air from the bumper to the rad,but I will.
+Quote Post
mittelmotor
post Oct 14 2012, 02:20 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 14,464

I've got the Renegade system also, and I'm very satisfied with it. The radiator has a couple of pegs welded to the bottom that fit into special grommets in the aluminum floor that's provided, so that locates it on the lower edge. I elected to secure the floor on the forward edge of the trunk compartment in a couple of places, so the springiness of the rear edge of the floor (where those pegs are) allows the radiator to float nicely.

I kept the battery in the stock location and ran a 10-gauge wire up front for power. It seems that the dual fans spike the current draw at right around 40 amps when they kick in (somewhat less when they're running), so you'll want about 50-60 amps' worth of fuse protection. I had a 40-amp fuse in there for quite a while, but it ultimately blew, so that seems to be the threshold. The Spal fans are pretty quiet for the amount of air they move!

Here's a couple pics showing the aluminum trunk floor, some of the side shrouding, the grommets (blue) and the re-routed wiring harness.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mittelmotor
post Oct 14 2012, 02:32 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 14,464

second pic:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Oct 14 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have been doing a little research on this subject, trying to come up with some options... Found this today. It's a perfect fit, and about 1' wider than the Renegade set up. Some folks also make shroud's for this radiator, but the fans seem cheap. Cost for the radiator is about $120 shipped.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 14 2012, 09:36 PM
Post #11

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Oct 14 2012, 06:43 PM) *

I have been doing a little research on this subject, trying to come up with some options... Found this today. It's a perfect fit, and about 1' wider than the Renegade set up. Some folks also make shroud's for this radiator, but the fans seem cheap. Cost for the radiator is about $120 shipped.

That does look like a good fit. Shrouds are important. Air will take the path of least resistance. If there is no shroud to force the air path through the radiator, You will have cooling problems. Fans are not enough.

I wish I pics of my first conversion. I had a custom radiator made to lie flat on the bottom of the trunk. I used the old A/C outlet on the floor. I made a shelf that doubled as the shroud to take bumper air through and down. It worked great! I had the filler neck extended to the highest point possible in front of the gas tank. Overall it cooled great and I had space for small luggage. I carpeted the shelf to look nice. The only downfall to this method was on dirt roads. It had a fan mounted under the radiator. When it turned on, it would blow dirt from under the car. This would also piss off any spectators close by (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Now I run an aluminum rad, tilted back. I think it's 29"x16". I run a large Setrab oil cooler in front of it, 17"x13". Keeps the temps around 160 on the freeway, without the use of the fan. Fans kick on in traffic only via the thermostatically controlled relays. The radiator is fully shrouded to the bumper. All air has to go through it.
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Oct 14 2012, 09:55 PM
Post #12

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533

I believe Renegade has done some research and found a dual pass better than a single pass. Radiator shown is a single pass, right?

+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Oct 15 2012, 06:03 AM
Post #13

Yum, undetermined...
Labeling states "Dual Two Core Aluminum Radiator" -

QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Oct 14 2012, 10:55 PM) *

I believe Renegade has done some research and found a dual pass better than a single pass. Radiator shown is a single pass, right?

+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Oct 15 2012, 10:15 AM
Post #14

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

I run a Pantera radiator core in mine with custom inlet and outlet locations made by Fluidine. Just called them up, and they made it.

Runs at 180, as that is my thermostat type. You don't want your car running too cool.
+Quote Post
pete
post Oct 15 2012, 02:49 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,092
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Oct 14 2012, 09:43 PM) *

Where did you find it? Link?
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Oct 15 2012, 06:42 PM
Post #16

Ebay. Search 00-05 Toyota Celica Aluminum Radiator

QUOTE(pete @ Oct 15 2012, 03:49 PM) *

+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Oct 19 2012, 03:23 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Oct 15 2012, 08:42 PM) *

Ebay. Search 00-05 Toyota Celica Aluminum Radiator

QUOTE(pete @ Oct 15 2012, 03:49 PM) *

Here ya go A celica radiator. This is the one Thom is talking about. This is going in a Subaru conversion that I'm helping D914 with. I really like the way this mounts up. The welds look good and seems to be a bargin at the price with fans and shroud.
The white in the floor is a paper templet we are using for the bottom,

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Black22
post Oct 19 2012, 05:42 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 8,290
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Can't believe no one else has said it yet!

914's don't have radiators! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Carry on.
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Oct 20 2012, 05:10 PM
Post #19

Bob -

Couple of questions...

How long has he had the radiator?

What do you think of the fans? (They seem kinda cheap...)
How much cfm are they putting out? The specs really did not address whether
the amount was individually, or as a pair...
Do you think this rad would handle cooling for an LS1?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 20 2012, 05:35 PM
Post #20

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

As a general comment I don't think you need to cut out nearly as much of the front panel as a lot of people think. My car's not here so i can't measure, but the opening in the bumper is only like 22x3" and I can pound the turbo engine as long as I want without ever seeing 200 degrees. I've had the fans on two or three times, but every time sitting in traffic, never while driving.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:32 AM