Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Infineon AX, 914 TTOD as usual
ChrisFoley
post Nov 15 2004, 05:04 PM
Post #81

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 15 2004, 01:43 PM)
Is lining a course wimpy?

Well.. I was just teasing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Having said that I also want to say I do prefer a course without lines. If the cones are set up using a strict protocol there is a challenge getting it right, but still only one correct way. OC (off course) or dnf is part of the game.
The only lines I expect to see are the boxes around the cones.
The only cones I expect to see are the absolute minimum of gates, pivots, pointers and slaloms. There should be no extraneous cones.
The course I see in these pictures seems to violate all the protocols I am used to.
I haven't done an AX in years, and the total I have done is about 20, but I think I could hold my own at any event.
I won the cup shown below on my second run that day, and broke both engine mounts on my third run. Everyone else had about 6 runs to try and beat me (non PCA event). I won the little formula car trophy in a Skip Barber Formula Dodge on a day when everyone was driving one of only 3 nearly identical cars available to us (PCA event).
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Randal
post Nov 15 2004, 05:14 PM
Post #82

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

The course I see in these pictures seems to violate all the protocols I am used to.
I haven't done an AX in years, and the total I have done is about 20, but I think I could hold my own at any event.

We would love to have you out here for one of our big events Chris and I think you'd enjoy the competition.

Of course it's a long way to come, but who knows maybe you want to see the ocean on this side of the States.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Nov 15 2004, 05:28 PM
Post #83

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

I was born in Redwood City, but moved away before I could walk. My wife and I drove down the coast to the SF area 12 years ago after being at my youngest brother's wedding on Shaw Island, WA. My older bro lives in San Jose, but we don't talk to each other these days, lol.
My wife is going to be visiting on Shaw I. with my mother next weekend.
I do hope to return to the Bay area again, especially now that I know some people nearby. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Nov 15 2004, 05:29 PM
Post #84

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

How do you guys feel about courses that intentionally mislead the driver? See the diagram below. This turn was lined in such a way to lead you away from the turn (to the black spot) with no where to go. I didn't get it until I had memorized it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Nov 15 2004, 05:33 PM
Post #85

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

QUOTE(anthony @ Nov 15 2004, 06:29 PM)
How do you guys feel about courses that intentionally mislead the driver? See the diagram below. This turn was lined in such a way to lead you away from the turn (to the black spot) with no where to go. I didn't get it until I had memorized it.

Rookies look at lines. Driver's see the course that is defined by the cones.

I once set up a course that we had outlined so the rookies would not get lost. In one long sweeper, they were jamming on the brakes trying to stay inside the lines. The more experienced drivers were going far over the line so that they could properly drive the course.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Nov 15 2004, 08:26 PM
Post #86

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Great discussion!

Sorry we missed you Randal. You would have been proud.
I was 2 secs off TTOD. Possible top 5?

I think you could of jumped on TTOD yourself.
Perfect course for you.

I like the lines. I use them when looking ahead to set up the next turn. When entering the turn, it's all cone. I'll run right through the lines.

As for the fake out boxed corners, I think it's just run off without DNF or cones area. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Nov 15 2004, 08:39 PM
Post #87

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

damn,, trekkor!

congratulations.

i can see i'll have to really step it up next year to beat you.

for the record, i plan on being in Bx. (yes, with 94mm jugs)
+Quote Post
Demick
post Nov 15 2004, 09:10 PM
Post #88

Ernie made me do it!

Member No.: 257

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Nov 15 2004, 06:39 PM)
for the record, i plan on being in Bx. (yes, with 94mm jugs)

Nathan: I can't believe you want to take a step down in power. Go with another set of 96's and join me and Andy in Fm!

Demick
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 15 2004, 09:28 PM
Post #89

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Demick,

with a 1.8 or 2.0 motor and aftermarket FI, would I still be okay in Fm??
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Nov 15 2004, 09:33 PM
Post #90

I do things...

Guys, I thought next year we are moving to the points based system elimnating the multitude of classes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Nov 15 2004, 09:53 PM
Post #91

Member Emeritus

QUOTE(Demick @ Nov 15 2004, 07:10 PM)
for the record, i plan on being in Bx.  (yes, with 94mm jugs)

Nathan: I can't believe you want to take a step down in power. Go with another set of 96's and join me and Andy in Fm!

Demick

i thought Fm was only D-jet?

in anycase, i plan on making more power with the current 2.0 "mystery motor" than i would with a D-jet'd 2056 (that engine ran strong -- and may again -- but i'm dubious that i had more than 95 hp)

we'll see when i get the new motor tuned (hopefully this weekend).

trek, the point sys is going to be "trial run" concurent with the old system.
+Quote Post
monkei
post Nov 15 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #92

slave to rust....

Member No.: 2,504

this was my first AX with the powder lines. liked the surface much better than candlestick. awesome day. i was very impressed with the person piloting the yellow 911 that was done up carreraRS style and the girl who was handing out timeslips, when she got a 36.something in her dads yellow sixtysomething 911 (topped her dads best in the same car). 36.328 was my best time in the boxster. (weak!) i cant wait till i fix my 914's front and get it AX ready. didnt have much time other than lunch to check out the big track events. A wrecked corvette and wrx wagon, cant ask for much more. There were some beautiful cars on sunday, i really liked the paint on the brighter green metallic early 911, and i am such a sucker for 550s, kit or not.

as a novice my opinion is that lines kinda take away from the challenge, my first two AX's (1st. marina 2nd. candlestick, this being the 3rd) had no lines. I think a well set up cone course is the way to go. This event had no slalom or open gates. I did get lost at candlestick and got a few DNF's, as it was so wide open and i was hauling ass, but i thought it was a very interesting course, just didnt much like the pavement surface. Marina was probably my favorite so far, of course i was driving a 914 that day. I liked this course but thought it was kind of odd that there were no pointer cones, slaloms, or any sections of track that were anything other than quite obviously defined by both cones and lines. and did it seem to anyone
else that some things were too close to the track? PCA and Andretti trailers for example.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Nov 15 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #93

I do things...

I'm not sure what class I'll be in then...Fp, Fx, Fm, Gm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

KT

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kermit
post Nov 15 2004, 11:42 PM
Post #94

Member No.: 3,049

QUOTE(Demick @ Nov 15 2004, 07:10 PM)
for the record, i plan on being in Bx.  (yes, with 94mm jugs)

Demick

Nathan, this is a TOTAL setup. You do not want to be in ANY class near Demick. When he was in Bi (even though he had a cheater motor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ), there was NO WAY IN HELL, I was going to protest him and bump him into Bp.

BTW, the new GGR car classification system will only be half implemented. We'll have the current classifications AND the additive points system. So there is a possibility of winning two awards at the end of the year. Note I said awards, not trophies. In the spirit of saving more money to donate to charity, I think we'll be saving a few thousand bucks on trophies and just printing some certificates or something. But I guess it really doesn't matter, its more about the competition right?
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Nov 16 2004, 01:21 AM
Post #95

Member Emeritus

i know -- i've seen the man drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) !
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Nov 16 2004, 01:53 AM
Post #96

I do things...

I just noticed in this pic my wheel is lifting again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
monkei
post Nov 16 2004, 02:40 AM
Post #97

slave to rust....

Member No.: 2,504

i saw that wheel lift almost every time you took that turn before the start/finish.
+Quote Post
nein14-6
post Nov 16 2004, 06:09 AM
Post #98

Member No.: 2,883

Notice the amount of POSITIVE camber in this wheel ?? These Goodyear slicks damn near run "straight up" with little to NO neg. camber. Also.. the tire is tucking in under the car in a left hand turn... NOT good.

B

Attached image:

Brad,
My car does that too in AXs, check out this picture of the other side. I take the sway bars off when I run as well.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 16 2004, 10:34 AM
Post #99

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

QUOTE(monkei @ Nov 15 2004, 08:02 PM)
i was very impressed with the person piloting the yellow 911 that was done up carreraRS style and the girl who was handing out timeslips, when she got a 36.something in her dads yellow sixtysomething 911 (topped her dads best in the same car).

The RS-style yellow 911 driver is Larry Sharp. Former 914 pilot, and one helluva driver. Not sure who the father and daughter team are. There are a few I've seen out there, but not usually as teams and none I can remember with an early yellow 911.

--DD
+Quote Post
Demick
post Nov 16 2004, 11:22 AM
Post #100

Ernie made me do it!

Member No.: 257

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 15 2004, 07:28 PM)
Demick,

with a 1.8 or 2.0 motor and aftermarket FI, would I still be okay in Fm??

Fm is the Street Modified category. It is designed as an anything goes but still sort-of street legal category (although plenty of non-street legal cars compete here). So carbs or other induction systems are allowed. Turbos, cams, carbs, wings, brakes, suspension, tires etc etc are all free.

Pretty much do whatever you want, but you need to keep your windows, interior, signals, headlights, etc.

Fm is really not where you want to compete in a stock-ish car. I am waaaayyy outclassed by people like John Seidel. But I don't really care. I do hope they change over to the new points system one of these years.

Demick
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2024 - 08:35 PM