Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Self Sustaining Electric 914, jwalters is back
Cap'n Krusty
post Nov 18 2013, 12:05 PM
Post #41

Cap'n Krusty

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(1jwalters @ Nov 18 2013, 09:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 16 2013, 02:08 PM) *

TNSTAAFL.

The Cap'n

Hey Krusty - good to see you have stuck it out.......

Good to have you back. Just 'cause you have a new account doesn't mean you get another free pass. I believe you've used yours, so you're fair game for my Krustiness ........................ HA!

Seriously, welcome back into the fold .........................

The Cap'n
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 18 2013, 12:18 PM
Post #42

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 18 2013, 10:46 AM) *

Chill the fuck out Rand. He clearly stated in his initial post he was on the road and wouldn't check back in for a few days. He's an old member that probably got tired of the bullshit and needed a break.

You are correct. I apologize.
+Quote Post
1jwalters
post Nov 18 2013, 12:30 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 16,651

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 18 2013, 10:05 AM) *

QUOTE(1jwalters @ Nov 18 2013, 09:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 16 2013, 02:08 PM) *

TNSTAAFL.

The Cap'n

Hey Krusty - good to see you have stuck it out.......

Good to have you back. Just 'cause you have a new account doesn't mean you get another free pass. I believe you've used yours, so you're fair game for my Krustiness ........................ HA!

Seriously, welcome back into the fold .........................

The Cap'n

I would expect nothing less from your holy krustiness!

Yepper, feels like I never been away............. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
stugray
post Nov 18 2013, 03:12 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

Oh, you could definitely make it work.

Then put it in hurricane force winds for a week to charge a battery.
Then you might be able to drive for a couple hundred yards....

TNSTAAFL - Heinlein is my favorite

Quick sanity check:
~80hp = ~60 kw
60 kw wind turbine in 20 MPH winds:

http://masteringgreen.com/wipo-60-kw.html

So you need a windturbine bigger than a house and weighs thousands of pounds.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Nov 18 2013, 03:57 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Anything's posssible (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flge_rw6RG0

As fate would have it there's a bay window on the left...
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Nov 18 2013, 05:00 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(1jwalters @ Nov 16 2013, 09:09 AM) *

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/self-sus...c-car/x/5342378

My latest project. Recently I designed a new generation wind turbine. I am going to miniaturize my design and work it into the front trunk area of a teener.

My goal is to drive coast to coast non-stop........

Ambitious? Yes!
Doable? Yes!

I will accept any help thrown my way!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

By the way, it is great to be back here, I missed this place!

Dead down wind faster than the wind DDWFTTW It works, see the videos
Barefoot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJpdWHFqHm0
+Quote Post
skeates
post Nov 18 2013, 05:38 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 3,684
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(barefoot @ Nov 18 2013, 03:00 PM) *

My latest project. Recently I designed a new generation wind turbine. I am going to miniaturize my design and work it into the front trunk area of a teener.

Ambitious? Yes!
Doable? Yes!

Barefoot

The difference here is that (I think) the original poster expects to use the relative difference between the vehicle speed and ambient air speed (termed here as "wind") to power his vertical wind turbine which is in-turn expected to power the vehicle. Since this "wind" is actually generated by the vehicle itself there is no energy to harness that is coming from outside of the vehicle's energy system - hence the 'perpetual motion' designation. At best the original poster may be able to recoup some of the energy used to propel the car when he wishes to slow down in a form very similar to regenerative braking, but second law losses will severely limit exactly how much of that is recouped. If it is being used to capture energy from actual wind (e.g. energy in the atmosphere) then certainly this is no perpetual motion device...but as was alluded to before there simply isn't enough there to capture to reach his goal of a cross country trek, even if he had a constant headwind the entire way! Same goes with solar power (PV). There simply isn't a high enough energy density of solar radiation to power a car of this nature - especially given the pathetic efficiency of PV panels.

All that said welcome back to the site 1jwalters and good luck with your project. We all need hobbies! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
messix
post Nov 18 2013, 06:35 PM
Post #48

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

interesting. up wind at better than 2.0/1 speed.....

so once you get going ?????

http://phys.org/news/2012-07-blackbird-cart-fast.html
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 18 2013, 10:30 PM
Post #49

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Dont listen to Scooter, I am still here........for now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)
+Quote Post
1jwalters
post Nov 19 2013, 05:51 AM
Post #50

QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 18 2013, 01:12 PM) *

Quick sanity check:
~80hp = ~60 kw

Ughhh, well there is more ways than your way to skin a cat.

Funny how people seem to be soooo clairvoyant and just "know" what components I am going to use, even when I have said nothing at all.....

Well stugrey I am using components that you are not aware of....and I am using MY design of wind turbine which you do not comprehend of...I am not doing what others have tried and failed - what would be the point of that? Plus that would certainly make all my licenses and certifications questionable...

But thank you for your,,,,comment, I guess....
+Quote Post
1jwalters
post Nov 19 2013, 05:57 AM
Post #51

QUOTE(skeates @ Nov 18 2013, 03:38 PM) *

Ambitious? Yes!
Doable? Yes!

So what I am reading here is.....why should I try? Because some "law" ....."says" something.....

Listen guys - I am not going to pass the gravy here! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) What I am doing would be considered "outside of the box." So when you guys start citing "laws of thermodynamics this, and laws of perpetual motion that" you are all way, way wrong.......on a total other planet even..

But the REAL skinny is I am really not doing anything groundbreaking - I am just the one who was able to see the forest through the trees is all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

All too many times people get bogged down with "data" and that alone is a stumbling block. When I have a question to something I do not "google" it...I research it...

You nay sayers are going to be sooooo upended when you discover my method of accomplishment it will be talked about for years to come.......

Glad to be back home, like I said before, it is as if I have never left! For over 5 years that is...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Barefoot

The difference here is that (I think) the original poster expects to use the relative difference between the vehicle speed and ambient air speed (termed here as "wind") to power his vertical wind turbine which is in-turn expected to power the vehicle. Since this "wind" is actually generated by the vehicle itself there is no energy to harness that is coming from outside of the vehicle's energy system - hence the 'perpetual motion' designation. At best the original poster may be able to recoup some of the energy used to propel the car when he wishes to slow down in a form very similar to regenerative braking, but second law losses will severely limit exactly how much of that is recouped. If it is being used to capture energy from actual wind (e.g. energy in the atmosphere) then certainly this is no perpetual motion device...but as was alluded to before there simply isn't enough there to capture to reach his goal of a cross country trek, even if he had a constant headwind the entire way! Same goes with solar power (PV). There simply isn't a high enough energy density of solar radiation to power a car of this nature - especially given the pathetic efficiency of PV panels.

All that said welcome back to the site 1jwalters and good luck with your project. We all need hobbies! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

+Quote Post
1jwalters
post Nov 19 2013, 05:58 AM
Post #52

Ambitious? Yes!
Doable? Yes!

So what I am reading here is.....why should I try? Because some "law" ....."says" something.....

Listen guys - I am not going to pass the gravy here! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) What I am doing would be considered "outside of the box." So when you guys start citing "laws of thermodynamics this, and laws of perpetual motion that" you are all way, way wrong.......on a total other planet even..

But the REAL skinny is I am really not doing anything groundbreaking - I am just the one who was able to see the forest through the trees is all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

All too many times people get bogged down with "data" and that alone is a stumbling block. When I have a question to something I do not "google" it...I research it...

You nay sayers are going to be sooooo upended when you discover my method of accomplishment it will be talked about for years to come.......

Glad to be back home, like I said before, it is as if I have never left! For over 5 years that is...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Barefoot

+Quote Post
1jwalters
post Nov 19 2013, 06:01 AM
Post #53

Ambitious? Yes!
Doable? Yes!

But the REAL skinny is I am really not doing anything groundbreaking - I am just the one who was able to see the forest through the trees is all, traveling the planet contracting on all kinds of aircraft, related equipment, yada, yada. I have been blessed to had been side by side with ground breaking new equipment design, development, and manufacture since 2005.....it has been a great ride! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Barefoot

+Quote Post
1jwalters
post Nov 19 2013, 06:03 AM
Post #54

Ambitious? Yes!
Doable? Yes!

Barefoot

Listen guys - I am not going to pass the gravy here for free! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) What I am doing would be considered "outside of the box." So when you guys start citing "laws of thermodynamics this, and laws of perpetual motion that" you are all way, way wrong.......on a total other planet even..

But the REAL skinny is I am really not doing anything groundbreaking - I am just the one who was able to see the forest through the trees is all, traveling the planet contracting on all kinds of aircraft, related equipment, yada, yada. I have been blessed to had been side by side with ground breaking new equipment design, development, and manufacture since 2005.....it has been a great ride! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
1jwalters
post Nov 19 2013, 06:13 AM
Post #55

QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 18 2013, 01:12 PM) *

Quick sanity check:
~80hp = ~60 kw

Check this out - in our Falcon jets we have a system known as the 20kva system. It is a 20KVA genset that measures appx 10 inches long and 6 inches in width. It drives our radar system requirements using hydraulic fluid under pressure turning a motor......And that hydraulic motor is tiny, tiny, tiny compared to the genset///

Not just for you, but for all others here - you all still think that more power cannot be generated than used? Coast Guard has been doing it for decades. Also next time you walk into a room and flip a switch . was more power instantly generated by the power station the very moment you flipped that switch? Or was it waiting there all the time waiting for you to flip the switch....

I know, I know the "know-all" eggheads are about to pounce, so i will just say one thing....take a breath and think before spouting off. I have a very, very strong history of making people look very bad, even on this board......

Listen guys, there are better mouse traps out there. Just because a person like Elon musk hasn't thought them up yet does not mean they are not present......
+Quote Post
1jwalters
post Nov 19 2013, 06:17 AM
Post #56

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 18 2013, 08:30 PM) *

Dont listen to Scooter, I am still here........for now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

Evil.............(pinky finger next to mouth)

You a full fledged doctor now? If so congrats!!!
+Quote Post
69telecaster
post Nov 19 2013, 07:15 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 11,558

I don't want to know HOW it works...yet...but I do want to know IF it works. The video and photos show what I assume to be a prototype. A rotor on good bearings spinning by turning a fan on it doesn't impress me...we all made pinwheels when we were little kids. Someone earlier suggested you connect that spinning rotor to a generator to, in turn, run the fan, and see how long it goes. Have you done this? Have you connected the spinning rotor to ANYTHING to actually do work or generate power?
If you're looking for investors, or acceptance, you should consider demonstrating some kind of results...please.

cm
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 19 2013, 07:34 AM
Post #58

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Guys - One of the internet 10 comandments is: Don't feed the trolls.
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Nov 19 2013, 07:42 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I rode the short bus, I made no pinwheels
+Quote Post
stugray
post Nov 19 2013, 09:33 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

It is a 20KVA genset that measures appx 10 inches long and 6 inches in width. It drives our radar system requirements using hydraulic fluid under pressure turning a motor......And that hydraulic motor is tiny, tiny, tiny compared to the genset///

Where does it get it's hydraulic pressure? A tiny little fraction of a watt windmill?

So when you guys start citing "laws of thermodynamics this, and laws of perpetual motion that" you are all way, way wrong.......on a total other planet even..

So the planet you are on is apparently not this one.

So you have either figured out how to drive a 914 down the road with a fraction of a watt of power, or you have figured out windturbine technology that multi-billion dollars worth of reasearch money has not. Good for you.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 04:16 PM