Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel starvation when maxing out?
brant
post Feb 11 2014, 11:44 PM
Post #21

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

What brand of dyno is that? Calibrated?
How is the motor built?

I've actually found the facets to be loud but last a long long time. Regulators should help smooth them out. And they don't seem to die.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
David Stowers
post Feb 12 2014, 05:58 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 14,613
Region Association: None

QUOTE(brant @ Feb 11 2014, 09:44 PM) *

What brand of dyno is that? Calibrated?
How is the motor built?

I've actually found the facets to be loud but last a long long time. Regulators should help smooth them out. And they don't seem to die.

I've no idea what brand of dyno, its the first and only time I've had a car on one and just dropped there in the morning and picked it up at lunchtime!
I also have no idea how the motor was built. When I bought the car a year ago I thought I was buying a 2.0 car. When it arrived here in the UK I discovered it was a 1.7 car with a 1.8 motor! The guy I bought it from says he didn't know and sent me a copy of the ad he bought it from a year before and that stated it was a 2.0.
I'm guessing its had some work internally as the dyno numbers would suggest increased bore/stroke and some cam changes but I've no idea what.
I have tried without success to get hold of the previous previous owner on here but no luck. The car is a Zambezi green '73 MY car with Tan interior from the Boston are if anyone remembers it? Was off the road for a number of years, maybe as many as 10!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Feb 12 2014, 07:25 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

Got me thinking about my own Dello conversion (done by PO). Haven't got car running yet, but I'm concerned about fuel tank venting. PO did not have a gasket on fuel tank filler cap, so plenty of venting there. I'm not satisfied with this and want to insure adequate venting, but minimize unwanted vaporization and pollution. So thinking of using the leftover small plastic line leftover from the old FI as a vent. What do you use ?
If unvented (or inadequately vented), possibly at high load vacuum built up in tank may hinder pumping capacity.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Feb 12 2014, 10:28 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

Some good comments here from folks with far more experience than I. I agree that the float settings are also a suspect, especially if the carbs were installed "out of the box." It seems that even if they are set correctly, the settings can often change during shipping/handling. So it's certainly something to check for anyone installing carbs.

That being said, I still believe that putting in a good quality rotary pump, along with fuel filter (prior to the pump) and if need be, a regulator can eliminate a lot of potential sources of frustration. Also, if the condition of the strainer sock in the bottom of the tank is unknown, this should be checked and replaced. If clogged, it can mimic symptoms of starvation, especially under situations like full throttle where the volume of fuel being delivered is important.

Regarding venting of the tank - I used the nipple off of the stock expansion tank and routed a line out to the rocker panel area. Seems to work quite well and eliminates all fumes that could potentially enter the cabin.
+Quote Post
David Stowers
post Mar 17 2014, 05:15 PM
Post #25

Ok, it's been a couple of weeks and so far I've changed the pump for a Huco rotary and after replacing the inline filter I'm getting 120 l/hr so supply to the carbs isn't the issue. I've had the chokes reduced to 30 from 34s and rejected accordingly also larger (200) needle valves.
It runs much smoother during normal use but it still does it when full throttle at higher speed for more than about 5 seconds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Intubator
post Mar 17 2014, 05:25 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 16,878
Region Association: North East States

If the problem occurs at a consistent RPM regardless of load you may actually have a faulty distributor RPM limiting rotor, bad points or worn distributor point contacts...
+Quote Post
stugray
post Mar 17 2014, 06:22 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

I read the title of this thread with the sun on my monitor and I thought it said:

"Fuel starvation when making out? "

My first thought was "She must be HOT if you dont even stop to eat...."
+Quote Post
Intubator
post Mar 17 2014, 06:40 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 16,878
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 17 2014, 08:22 PM) *

I read the title of this thread with the sun on my monitor and I thought it said:

That would be my kind of woman... Might even lose a few of the winter pounds too. LOL!!
+Quote Post
David Stowers
post Mar 18 2014, 03:18 AM
Post #29

QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 17 2014, 04:22 PM) *

Nothing comes in the way of food!!

I'm running a new Bosch 050 without standard rotor. It will rev happily through the range in the lower gears just as it takes longer at full throttle to get towards redline the fault occurs
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Mar 18 2014, 07:28 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

Good to hear that you took care of the other unknowns first. That was the simple stuff. If you have never pulled the tank out, I'm sorry to say, that might be in your future to check the condition of the strainer sock at the bottom. Might be clogged up.
+Quote Post
David Stowers
post Mar 18 2014, 12:45 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 18 2014, 05:28 AM) *

Good to hear that you took care of the other unknowns first. That was the simple stuff. If you have never pulled the tank out, I'm sorry to say, that might be in your future to check the condition of the strainer sock at the bottom. Might be clogged up.

Even though I get full spec flow (30 secs for a litre) from the pump when I time it pumping out a litre at the carbs?
I will pull the tank though as I've gone through everything else, it's driving me mad. Not that I need to drive it that hard but it's nice to know you can once in a while, that's the point of having it after all.
+Quote Post
David Stowers
post Mar 19 2014, 04:47 PM
Post #32

Oh and one more thing, when hot and I stop in traffic it won't idle, it splutters and pops before dying unless I heel and toe to keep the revs up.
Getting really tired of this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
David Stowers
post Apr 13 2014, 03:08 PM
Post #33

OK, so just incase anyone remembers or cares I was having what seemed to present as a fuel starvation issue.
Last week I took the still unwell car to an airfield track day despite knowing I should solve the problem first. Well you guessed it, I broke it
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i595.photobucket.com-14613-1397423305.1.jpg)
Despite the complete meltdown of the plug after much head scratching and beard stroking I borrowed a spare plug and with eyes closed turned the key. It didn't run too badly so I thought we could make it a couple of miles from the track and call the recovery truck. It made it 130 miles all the way home!!
The following day I drooped the engine and removed he damaged head. The offending plug port had a helicoil insert and now a fair bit of damage to the seat face. I had a pair of spare heads so had one cleaned and the valves reground. Yesterday I fitted it and re installed the engine.
You're ahead of me, the issue I had is gone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
I can only assume the insert was bad or the fitting of it had cracked the head and when under load for a prolonged period the crack would open with the heat and cause the spluttering as if fuel had run out. By backing off the fuel supply wasn't catching up as I thought but the head was cooling sufficiently to close the crack or leak past the insert.

I've spent best part of £1000 and numerous hours trying to solve this when all I needed to do was break it a bit more!

Thanks all for your input, I've learnt a lot.
+Quote Post
brant
post Apr 13 2014, 03:25 PM
Post #34

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

wow...
that plug is a keeper

so glad you fixed it
nasty plug...
brant
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 12:48 PM