Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Valve Adjustment - do it myself or have it done?
jbachert
post Mar 25 2014, 11:17 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,329
Region Association: North East States

I have put 3000 miles on my car since the valves were last done by Tony at Translog in York (by the previous owner of the car).

I guess it is time to adjust the valves.

So....is it a giant pain in the ass to do myself or should I have it done?

I am not worried about my mechanical skills - just wondering how frustrating of a job it is.

Any advice would be appreciated!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Mar 25 2014, 11:21 AM
Post #2

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jbachert @ Mar 25 2014, 10:17 AM) *

I have put 3000 miles on my car since the valves were last done by Tony at Translog in York (by the previous owner of the car).

I am not worried about my mechanical skills - just wondering how frustrating of a job it is.

I had never done it before, but I had a fellow local member (thanks Marty!) come show me the ropes. It was actually pretty straightforward. As always, the space is a little tight so it is a bit like building a ship in a bottle.

The "Krusted one" has a nice write-up on his procedure. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=28758
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Mar 25 2014, 11:22 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

To me it's not exactly difficult to do. I usually describe it as "tedious". You can do a search on the forum. There are a few different techniques to do the job. All are good, just slightly different. Pelican Parts has a technique. Cap'n Krusty has a different one. Both are good.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 25 2014, 11:28 AM
Post #4

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092
Region Association: South East States

YES! I have been wanting to learn how to do this as well, especially since it's recommended to be done every oil change.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Mar 25 2014, 11:41 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

It did not cost much to have my capable mechanic to do it. Besides, I did not want to screw it up by having a valve too tight or something, not to mention having an oil leak. I am 65 years old and climbing under my car in awkward positions is not my cup of tea!

Plus it helps out our local economy. Our local garage went to four days because of lack of auto repairs in our community.

Maybe if I had one to practice on, I would feel more comfortable doing it but my 41 year old baby deserves better than me learning on the job on her! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have peace of mind too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Nozzle
post Mar 25 2014, 11:58 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,725
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(jbachert @ Mar 25 2014, 01:17 PM) *

I'd never done a valve adjustment on any car before but after reading all the various posts here and on other sites/books I gave it a try. I set aside an afternoon one weekend, took my time and tried out all the various methods. Bottomline is after removing some easily removed heater ducting, there really was enough room to do the whole job and become very comfortable doing it. It was actually a very relaxing and gratifying way to get to know the engine. Plus after seeing how damaged, mismatched and out of adjustment the valve train was, I know I'll never have someone else do my valves. Never. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rmital
post Mar 25 2014, 12:13 PM
Post #7

Northeast optimist

Member No.: 5,268

I enjoy working on the car...maybe 35% of the reason I own it.
65% driving and events (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

but, having someone go over some of the basic procedures with me made it much easier.....I am lucky to have someone close by to help out and mentor me thru my air-cooled mechanical career.

I try to return the favor as often as possible. Traveling to or having someone over to help them work on their 914.

see if someone is close by....or take the trip out to NJ and I'd be happy to help.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 25 2014, 12:16 PM
Post #8

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(rmital @ Mar 25 2014, 02:13 PM) *

but, having someone go over some of the basic procedures with me made it much easier.....I am lucky to have someone close by to help out and mentor me thru my air-cooled mechanical career.

I try to return the favor as often as possible. Traveling to or having someone over to help them work on their 914.

see if someone is close by....or take the trip out to NJ and I'd be happy to help.

That's very nice of you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 25 2014, 12:17 PM
Post #9

LUFTBRIGADE

How long would it take an experienced mechanic (anybody here who does it) a valve adjustment on a /4?
+Quote Post
Jerlle
post Mar 25 2014, 12:33 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 16,799
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 25 2014, 11:17 AM) *

How long would it take an experienced mechanic (anybody here who does it) a valve adjustment on a /4?

I usually give myself 45 minutes to do it but I have a cramped working area.

If the fan is already marked for TDC it should only take about 20 minutes max as far as I can tell.

If anyone is near the LA area and needs help let me know. It is a very easy job to do. Once you've done it a couple times it will become a breeze.
+Quote Post
rmital
post Mar 25 2014, 12:41 PM
Post #11

Northeast optimist

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 25 2014, 02:17 PM) *

back when I had access to a lift, it would take an hour or so.

now in my home garage...jacking up car...placing jack stands...making sure they are positioned correctly so I don't die....drinking coffee....talking to neighbors walking by wondering what the heck I'm doing....dogs biting my ankles cause I'm not paying enough attention to them.....
.....it takes about 5 hours. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

but this equals a perfect Sunday afternoon.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
914itis
post Mar 25 2014, 01:05 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256

Or you can do it for him on the way to Hershey (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
rmital
post Mar 25 2014, 01:37 PM
Post #13

Northeast optimist

QUOTE(914itis @ Mar 25 2014, 03:05 PM) *

Or you can do it for him on the way to Hershey (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

was actually thinking that....but, will have wife and both daughters with me.
and they have absolutely no interest in valves and how they get adjusted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
914itis
post Mar 25 2014, 01:46 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256

QUOTE(rmital @ Mar 25 2014, 03:37 PM) *

QUOTE(914itis @ Mar 25 2014, 03:05 PM) *

was actually thinking that....but, will have wife and both daughters with me.
and they have absolutely no interest in valves and how they get adjusted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

You will be fine if there is a shopping mall nearby . All they need is the small platic card.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Mar 25 2014, 02:39 PM
Post #15

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

On a lift, maybe 5 minutes ............. If they're all out of adjustment, maybe 10. But then, I've been adjusting valves since 1970. Scary, huh? On the ground, probably half an hour. My method, the one in the writeup that Jim T, DDD, and I did, is FAR less time consuming than having to look for marks and fooling around.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
ripper911
post Mar 25 2014, 03:40 PM
Post #16

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 25 2014, 04:39 PM) *

On a lift, maybe 5 minutes ............. If they're all out of adjustment, maybe 10. But then, I've been adjusting valves since 1970. Scary, huh? On the ground, probably half an hour. My method, the one in the writeup that Jim T, DDD, and I did, is FAR less time consuming than having to look for marks and fooling around.

The Cap'n

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Crusty's method is easiet.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 25 2014, 10:05 PM
Post #17

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 25 2014, 04:39 PM) *

The Cap'n

Just out of curiosity, I called Brumos Porsche to ask them what they charge to do a valve adjustment on a 4 cylinder 914. At $127 an hour, they said it takes 4 and 1/2 hours to do a valve adjustment. I asked them, "Really? What do they do for the other 4 hours?"
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Anybody in Jacksonville that can show me how to do a valve adjustment? I'll pay you for your time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 25 2014, 10:09 PM
Post #18

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I don't know if I'm the DDD that the Cap'n is referring to--I actually use the TDC method, and it takes me significantly longer than 5 minutes. Of course, I don't have a lift... I think I've done it in as little as 30 minutes, but I'm pretty out of practice now.

One local well-known shop charges 90 minutes labor for it. I think another one charges 1 hour.

--DD
+Quote Post
johnpierre
post Mar 26 2014, 01:42 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 14,913
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Jerlle @ Mar 25 2014, 10:33 AM) *

I usually give myself 45 minutes to do it but I have a cramped working area.

If the fan is already marked for TDC it should only take about 20 minutes max as far as I can tell.

If anyone is near the LA area and needs help let me know. It is a very easy job to do. Once you've done it a couple times it will become a breeze.

I'm in LA and it is almost time will PM in the next couple of days. I'm in no hurry but would like to get this done in the next month or so. Jp.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Mar 26 2014, 02:18 AM
Post #20

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

It's not hard. Depends. And I mean diapers.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:06 AM