Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Exhaust options, want your opinion
Ben and Ralph
post Sep 15 2014, 01:56 PM
Post #1

Ben

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,917
Region Association: Southern California

So I have a couple more things to deal with before I upgrade my exhaust but I still want to get a good idea of what I want to do with it. I have a 72 1.7 with 93mm pistons (basically a 1.8) with 1.8/1.7 ssi heat exchangers and a monza ehaust. The monza muffler is really heavy and apparently restricts exhaust flow but i love how loud it is. Im wondering if A) swap out the monza for something else, triad (don't really like the look), custom muffler.. ect. and keep the ssi's B) Swap out the heat exchangers for kerry hunter, european race haeders, custom headers, ect along with a different muffler. I want your opinion, I don't really care about having heat as it does not get cold here in southern cali, I want an exhaust system that can possibly bring me a bit more hp, looks good, sounds nice and loud, and doesn't cost a fortune $$$$. Love the look of the 914/6 gt muffler, too bad I don't have a 6!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
partsman
post Sep 15 2014, 02:29 PM
Post #2

forever hooked

Member No.: 1,726
Region Association: North East States

I know I'm about to be completely flammed for this, but I recently bought a ANSA exhaust off a world memeber, and I couldn't be happier with it.
Attached Image
Attached Image
I was running the cherry bomb modified exhaust you see in the pics which was really loud, but very light.
Attached Image

The new exhaust is much much quieter, but a bit more heavy. I just put it on, and it's in great shape, so I can't comment on rust, but it seems pretty solid to me.

I have a '73 1.7, with stainless steel heat exchangers.... it's quiet enough to talk to someone standing next to the car and you can actually drive with the roof on without going deaf, but yet it still sounds nice when you get on it...
+Quote Post
57lincolnman
post Sep 16 2014, 08:36 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,175

QUOTE(partsman @ Sep 15 2014, 12:29 PM) *

I know I'm about to be completely flammed for this, but I recently bought a ANSA exhaust off a world memeber, and I couldn't be happier with it.
Attached Image
Attached Image
I was running the cherry bomb modified exhaust you see in the pics which was really loud, but very light.
Attached Image

The new exhaust is much much quieter, but a bit more heavy. I just put it on, and it's in great shape, so I can't comment on rust, but it seems pretty solid to me.

I have a '73 1.7, with stainless steel heat exchangers.... it's quiet enough to talk to someone standing next to the car and you can actually drive with the roof on without going deaf, but yet it still sounds nice when you get on it...

I bought a street system from Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing. It's a great system and all of the plumbing is on the driver's side leaving lots of room on the passenger side for an auxiliary oil cooler. This was the main reason that I went to this system. It is LOUD and you will give up the heat exchanger on the passenger side so heat will be compromised. You can also choose the option to have a center stack for the exhaust. You'lll need to modify the rear valance for that. It really opened up the exhaust and a boost in power.
+Quote Post
Dtjaden
post Sep 16 2014, 11:04 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,915
Region Association: Northern California

I have the header and muffler set from European Racing and am very happy with it. 1 5/8" headers and a fairly loud muffler. Would not have it any other way. About half the cost of the Tangerine header and muffler.

https://www.gt-racing.com/products-page/914...art-914-4-158h/

Although they don't show the muffler on the web site it is available if you call.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Sep 16 2014, 11:21 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

I have an extra cherry bomb like yours, it sounded pretty good during the engine break-in ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

In case anyone needs it, it is available.
+Quote Post
Ben and Ralph
post Sep 17 2014, 12:29 AM
Post #6

Ben

Tangerine really does sound nice, but so much $$$. Does anyone know if triad makes different styles of mufflers? Or do they all pretty much look the same with the exhaust tips on both sides?
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 17 2014, 08:44 AM
Post #7

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(Ben and Ralph @ Sep 17 2014, 01:29 AM) *

Tangerine really does sound nice, but so much $$$. Does anyone know if triad makes different styles of mufflers? Or do they all pretty much look the same with the exhaust tips on both sides?

If you're not concerned with squeezing the most out of your engine, I've just completed prototype testing of a new 100% stainless muffler for 2L heat exchangers.
It will be available in multiple outlet styles including stock (left corner), twin center tip (fairly loud), dual spread tips, and opposite corner (for those who prefer to be different).
The muffler is much lighter and more compact than our previous EVO IV design.
One with a stock outlet is on my car right now, after testing the twin tip for a few weeks. Sound level is very comfortable with the stock outlet style.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 17 2014, 08:52 AM
Post #8

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Ben and Ralph @ Sep 17 2014, 02:29 AM) *

the triad is made with either one or two outlet i believe, but it sounds like
the new one Chris is making from Tangerine might be a good choice for you!
i wonder what the price point will be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 17 2014, 08:58 AM
Post #9

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(partsman @ Sep 15 2014, 01:29 PM) *

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

I'm not gonna flame you for your purchase because I'm too busy laughing at you.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Sep 17 2014, 10:08 AM
Post #10

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Dtjaden @ Sep 16 2014, 10:04 PM) *

I have the header and muffler set from European Racing and am very happy with it. 1 5/8" headers and a fairly loud muffler. Would not have it any other way.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
WORTH the cost to go to a 4->1 collector style header vs. OEM style heat exchangers. My euro header is ceramic coated, has a magnaflow muffler, and has been awesome for the last 5 years. You'll need to protect the speedo and clutch cable w heat shrouding.

It sounds like I'm going way faster! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
partsman
post Sep 17 2014, 12:43 PM
Post #11

forever hooked

Member No.: 1,726

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 17 2014, 10:58 AM) *

The Cap'n

You were exactly the person I was expecting the flames from... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

And yet I still went ahead and posted the pictures.... and I love the exhaust... and I live in Rustachusetts, so when (if) it ever rusts, I'll buy something more to your approval.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 17 2014, 01:15 PM
Post #12

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

QUOTE(partsman @ Sep 17 2014, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 17 2014, 10:58 AM) *

The Cap'n

You were exactly the person I was expecting the flames from... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

And yet I still went ahead and posted the pictures.... and I love the exhaust... and I live in Rustachusetts, so when (if) it ever rusts, I'll buy something more to your approval.

I think John (wndsnd) has like 9 mufflers for a stock motor at this point.
Might wanna ask him as he moves towards he 2.7 six cylinder.

rich
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 17 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #13

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 17 2014, 09:52 AM) *

the new one Chris is making from Tangerine might be a good choice for you!
i wonder what the price point will be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Here's a Solidworks rendering of the new muffler.
I'll take a pic of the prototype on my car too.
First run through cost analysis has them at $875 plus delivery, but I still need to verify the total labor and materials costs.
I may have a couple of prototypes available at reduced price.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Brian_Boss
post Sep 17 2014, 05:01 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 781

OK, if somebody was brave enough to recommend the Monza, I will risk ridicule and offer my thoughts.

1) Keep your SSI's. The only noticeable gain you would get by replacing them would be by going to the full Tangerine system.

2) If you want something louder than stock, I think the Bursch "Quiet" (the one w/ a turbo style muffler, not the glasspack) is the best balance of cost/sound/HP.

3) On my 4 cyl car, I have a Bursch that on which I replaced the muffler with a Magnaflow. I think it's the best _sounding_ 4 cyl exhaust I have heard (no performance claims made). Not ridiculously loud but a cool aggressive, raspy exhaust note with no drone.

4) I have wondered what you would get if you took a stock 914 2.0 muffler and performed something similar to the 911 "sport muffler" mod. That is, add two straight outlets in the center and close off the existing side outlet. I have never seen the inside of the 2 liter muffler so I have no idea if this will work.

+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Sep 17 2014, 05:20 PM
Post #15

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

SPL Meter is a free decibel meter app in the iPhone store.
It would help for people to take some readings from exactly 20 feet away to the rear and in the passenger seat to compare sound for an apples to apples comparison.

I've watched several videos of mufflers and it's reealy hard to tell the difference.

I like my factory 2.0 muffler and don't want one much louder. I keep looking at the Triad and just can't pull the trigger since I haven't seen one on a car. Same with Chris' muffler.

Just my 2cents.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Sep 17 2014, 05:20 PM
Post #16

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Triad!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Sep 17 2014, 07:02 PM
Post #17

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124

Actually I only have one muffler left. A perfect German right exit 1.7.

Pm me if interested

John
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Sep 17 2014, 07:17 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

It is hard to pick just one muffler because there are too many options for each individual taste. I have back dated 2.0 SSI with a stock Dansk on the 75.
+Quote Post
Ben and Ralph
post Sep 17 2014, 07:25 PM
Post #19

Ben

@ Brian, I have thought about this myself but I doubt it would perform well since it wasn't made for the exhaust to exit it out that way. I guess dansk makes something like this for 1.7/1.8 cars. Its just not available in the US. Dansk 1.8 muffler
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Sep 18 2014, 12:46 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 12,471

QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Sep 17 2014, 07:01 PM) *

3) On my 4 cyl car, I have a Bursch that on which I replaced the muffler with a Magnaflow. I think it's the best _sounding_ 4 cyl exhaust I have heard (no performance claims made). Not ridiculously loud but a cool aggressive, raspy exhaust note with no drone.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Me too, but I used the magnaflow turbo with fiberglass packing and went as big as could be made to fit. It sounds great!

That said if I had the $$ I would go with one of Chris' new center outlet mufflers in a heartbeat.....
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:40 AM