Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Air fuel, Mystery or not
worn
post Oct 1 2014, 07:03 PM
Post #1

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

As one can derive from following these pages I have rebuilt a 2056. After that I have had problems with cooling. On the trip to ockteenerfest I was able to make close to all out full power and still stay below 400 on the cht. But, it was at an air fuel ratio of between 10-11. Seems awfully rich to me, but I am a chemist looking for a perfect match. Fuel mileage went by the board but I wasn't driving 55 worrying that the engine would over heat. Yeah, it is stock FI with a webcam.

So,is this where I am going to tune around, or is it richer than it should be. Appreciate the wisdom. Also, when you drive 900 miles and have your alternator pulley separate in two, this is the group that will save your bacon. Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 2 2014, 06:57 AM
Post #2

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Using what to determine the A/F ratio? How many miles on the engine rebuild?
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Oct 2 2014, 07:44 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(worn @ Oct 1 2014, 09:03 PM) *

As one can derive from following these pages I have rebuilt a 2056. After that I have had problems with cooling. On the trip to ockteenerfest I was able to make close to all out full power and still stay below 400 on the cht. But, it was at an air fuel ratio of between 10-11. Seems awfully rich to me, but I am a chemist looking for a perfect match. Fuel mileage went by the board but I wasn't driving 55 worrying that the engine would over heat. Yeah, it is stock FI with a webcam.

So,is this where I am going to tune around, or is it richer than it should be. Appreciate the wisdom. Also, when you drive 900 miles and have your alternator pulley separate in two, this is the group that will save your bacon. Thanks.

Timing is very critical to engine temps. Too much advance will cause high temps. Especially at higher compression ratios one or two degrees matter. Not sure what the specs are for your engine but check it
+Quote Post
worn
post Oct 2 2014, 01:49 PM
Post #4

can't remember

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 2 2014, 04:57 AM) *

Using what to determine the A/F ratio? How many miles on the engine rebuild?

AEM broadband meter. About 4-5,000 miles.
+Quote Post
worn
post Oct 2 2014, 01:54 PM
Post #5

can't remember

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Oct 2 2014, 05:44 AM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Oct 1 2014, 09:03 PM) *

Timing is very critical to engine temps. Too much advance will cause high temps. Especially at higher compression ratios one or two degrees matter. Not sure what the specs are for your engine but check it

I have tried timing stock and then tweaked from there. A lot of people say retarded spark is the one to watch for... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I tried to find a sweat spot but am open to suggestion. Real question is have I solved the problem (for the first time) in an appropriate way. People say with an altered cam you need carbs, which can be a means for adding fuel. Did I arrive at the same place?
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Oct 2 2014, 02:16 PM
Post #6

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

I may be way off, but it seems to me I've heard that the heat/retarded timing problem is with water cooled engines. Can't cite the source; too long ago to remember, and I figured it didn't really apply to what I was doing.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Oct 2 2014, 05:19 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

Ok you have likely done this but check your spark plug gaps and timing. If you don't have it, get Chris Foley's MPS adjustment kit. Also review Paul Anders MPS adjustment information.

Check your fuel pressure, verify your advance is working correctly, and make sure your cooling flaps are correct.
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Oct 2 2014, 05:32 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 13,411
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(worn @ Oct 2 2014, 02:54 PM) *

People say with an altered cam you need carbs, which can be a means for adding fuel. Did I arrive at the same place?

There are cams designed for FI and some for carbs. So it depends on which one you have.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 2 2014, 07:38 PM
Post #9

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

400F is too hot, I aim for 12.5 to 13:1 and 28* total advance (about 7*BTDC static) timing.
400F is my max pulling a long steep hill, 325-350F at cruse is more normal.
Too much advance will make it hot.

This is on a few performance carb and PEFI engines I've built.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:05 AM