Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reviving the herd, Or, "How to lose money and friends and anger the wife"
paxton
post Oct 2 2014, 08:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,865
Region Association: South East States

See my first post:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=243052

I won't clutter up the board with a bunch of threads, so I'll contain my questions to this one.

First up is the green machine. Kind of more like sunflower than green, but I digress. The green machine has no battery. It will not start, obviously.

But first a little story. For the past few days, the keys for the green machine have been missing. I have a devious little boy who likes to grab things and put them away in his many toy boxes/behind the couch/underneath things I didn't know there was an underneath to. I also just sold an old 412 and thought maybe I left them in there for some odd reason. I had turned the house and the garage upside down. No keys.

I gather the family (which includes 3 older kids who always want money) and I said whoever finds the keys in this house will get $50. They never worked so hard. My wife wanted money to (surprise!) so she was in on the hunt too.

On a whim, my wife went out to the car and looked in the ignition. Silly woman. That car doesn't even have a battery in it. Why would you look in... "I found them!" she yelled. What? You found the keys? IN THE IGNITION????

Of course they would be in the ignition of a non-running car that doesn't have a battery. Of course... Then I remembered: I sold the 412 and moved the green machine in its place. I had to turn the key to keep the steering wheel from locking.

So I'm the idiot and I'm out $50.

Back to the car.

The previous owner told me it will start (and run) if you use some starting fluid. If you turn the engine off, it will not start again, until you use starting fluid.

My plan is to drain the gas, refuel, replace plugs, wires, and cap (at least), and then check each of the injectors. Change oil and new filter. Any other guidance?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cary
post Oct 2 2014, 09:13 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

All the cars in my shop have the keys in them. LOL.
1. Can't get lost.
2. Need to unlock the steering wheel when I go to move them.
3. But none of them have engines in them.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Oct 2 2014, 09:16 AM
Post #3

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(paxton @ Oct 2 2014, 10:41 AM) *

The previous owner told me it will start (and run) if you use some starting fluid. If you turn the engine off, it will not start again, until you use starting fluid.

My plan is to drain the gas, refuel, replace plugs, wires, and cap (at least), and then check each of the injectors. Change oil and new filter. Any other guidance?

Good story.

Can you tell us more about this car? What year, engine, whether it's been sitting idle for period of time, etc.?

I'm assuming it may need new vacuum lines and then other basic tune-up requirements for these cars in this basic order: valve clearance, dwell, and timing.

Otherwise, more data required!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
paxton
post Oct 2 2014, 09:29 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 2 2014, 10:16 AM) *

Can you tell us more about this car? What year, engine, whether it's been sitting idle for period of time, etc.?

I'm assuming it may need new vacuum lines and then other basic tune-up requirements for these cars in this basic order: valve clearance, dwell, and timing.

Otherwise, more data required!

Yes. It's the 73 1.7L. It has been sitting for quite a while.

None of what you said seems hard. I'm sure I'll foul up somewhere. This will be my first time working on a Type 4 engine above oil/plug changes etc.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Oct 2 2014, 09:45 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(paxton @ Oct 2 2014, 11:29 AM) *

Yes. It's the 73 1.7L. It has been sitting for quite a while.

None of what you said seems hard. I'm sure I'll foul up somewhere. This will be my first time working on a Type 4 engine above oil/plug changes etc.

Yes, do look at the quality of the fuel, the fuel tank (rusty / tarred?), fuel lines, filter, etc. You know your fuel pump is working as is your ECU (you did say it's still injected, right?) and you obviously have spark. Getting the valves, dwell and timing adjusted require no investment (other than time) and are critical. Then assess where you are and plan on replacing vacuum hoses and fuel lines. You may want to get your injectors professionally cleaned (a good investment IMHO). Then assess where you are again and start looking at things that are problematic on a D-Jet for cleaning, refurbishment, or replacement:

AAR
MPS
Fuel Pressure
TPS
Dizzy

and the list goes on...
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Oct 2 2014, 10:03 AM
Post #6

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376

Great story and remember that it may have been very likely that that particular $50 would go to your wife anyway, so think of it as you got work for nothing!

Where I grew up we left keys in the ignition all the time in the driveway. I wish I could do that now (and still retain the car).

as for the 1.7, i think they covered it, but go over the basics first like others have said and then let us know.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 2 2014, 11:31 AM
Post #7

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

I always leave the keys in the ignition in the 914 when parked in the garage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Like your "devious little boy who likes to grab things and put them away", I have a granddaughter who, at age 4, wanted to play in my 914 while it sat in the garage. I told her she could since I was there in the garage working on something 914.

Later that day, I discovered the keys were missing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
I asked her what she did with them but she only cried and couldn't remember (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Earlier that day I had come across a full ignition set with key so I simply swapped it out.

We later found the key hanging on the key hook where my wife and son hang their keys. She had put the key where she thought it belonged (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Oct 2 2014, 12:55 PM
Post #8

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 2 2014, 10:31 AM) *

I asked her what she did with them but she only cried and couldn't remember (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

We later found the key hanging on the key hook where my wife and son hang their keys. She had put the key where she thought it belonged (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

So...you make your poor little granddaughter cry for doing the right thing? What a bully! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 2 2014, 01:08 PM
Post #9

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Put a battery in it and turn the key just to run, not start.
Do you hear the fuel pump running for 1.5 seconds or thereabouts?

Do that and report back....it's a key step and it may be simply a dirty relay connection, or a bad relay.

Rich
+Quote Post
paxton
post Oct 2 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #10

I hear the fuel pump hum!

That's a good start, no pun intended.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 2 2014, 08:18 PM
Post #11

Custom Member

Well, you need to now see if it's coming out of the injectors.

What I do to get it done quick is pull all four injectors by removing the little 10 mm nut on each one, but leave the electrics and fuel hoses connected.

Put the,end of each injector into some little glass baby food jars.

Remove the main, middle ignition coil wire from the middle of the distributor and from the coil....get it out of the car.

Turn over the motor for about 20-30seconds

Go see if there is fuel in each jar, and it's the same amount.

Rich
+Quote Post
paxton
post Oct 3 2014, 02:43 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 2 2014, 09:18 PM) *

Well, you need to now see if it's coming out of the injectors.

What I do to get it done quick is pull all four injectors by removing the little 10 mm nut on each one, but leave the electrics and fuel hoses connected.

Put the,end of each injector into some little glass baby food jars.

Remove the main, middle ignition coil wire from the middle of the distributor and from the coil....get it out of the car.

Turn over the motor for about 20-30seconds

Go see if there is fuel in each jar, and it's the same amount.

Rich

And the motor doesn't turn over. Starter issue (wiring, relay, bad starter, etc.)... Who knows. But cooler weather and fall break means I should have time to make a dent.

Not literally, I hope...
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 3 2014, 07:55 PM
Post #13

Custom Member

Yah, well that would do it.
Start with the fuses
+Quote Post
paxton
post Oct 7 2014, 10:00 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 3 2014, 08:55 PM) *

Yah, well that would do it.
Start with the fuses

An interesting couple of days.

I have names for them. Anja (the yellow/green), Birgit (the black), and Katja (the red).

For all 3, this thread will be my inspiration: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

Yes, shockingly enough, cars were sold that were not as described. The one in best shape is the one I bought locally.

But I will not be deterred and I will restore all three. I plan to get Anja running and driving. Then the major work on the other two.

On to Anja.

Jerry came over and we did some preliminary work.

The PO had replaced the 3-port fuel pump with a Mr. Gasket 42S 2-port for carbureted engines. We was getting no fuel at the rail. We pulled the tank and did some simple cleaning. The plan is to get the NAPA N69133 fuel pump and Wix 33274 filter, as well as various and sundry lines and hoses.

When we pulled the tank, we found the mouse problem. They have chewed through a handful of wires where the wires exit the firewall. That's annoying but not terrible. They also chewed through a brake supply line about 9 inches below the brake reservoir. I vacuumed out a nest in the glove compartment, I gave the gas tank cavity a good cleaning, and I vacuumed up the engine bay. It looks as if the mouse issue is limited to the front of the car.

I am tempted to replace the brake lines and the fuel lines with new ones. That will be one less issue later once everything is pressurized.

Three tires are holding air, and only two will even take air. They are going to be replaced anyway. Later. Much later.

For now, like I said, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, and brake lines.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Oct 8 2014, 04:51 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(paxton @ Oct 8 2014, 12:00 AM) *

I am tempted to replace the brake lines and the fuel lines with new ones. That will be one less issue later once everything is pressurized.

Yes, I would say those are both "fantastic" ideas. Keep up the progress, and post some pics of the mess and the progress.

A year after picking up my teener and cleaning it up and getting it running I occasionally still get the random acorn/nut sliver (or whatever mouse food it is) flying out of vents and other nooks and crannies. That may finally stop now as I finished cleaning up the fresh air blower and vents.

More pics!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 8 2014, 06:10 AM
Post #16

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

not sure if i missed this but, is this car still injected? if so you will need a different fuel pump, as injection is 29psi, whereas carbs are @ 10-12, . There is an aftermarket pump that is a one in, one out that supplies the proper pressure- i think i got it from Autozone- been in the car for 5 years, cost was only $150(you may need a meter ) there is a pressure valve to set the proper pressure, but obviously the mouse issue , wiring etc needed attention , -= good call to pull the tank, now clean it out and replace all your hoses and the internal tank screen filter. When i bought my '75 a few years ago, first thing i did was pull the tank - it was mucked up for sure! of course you will find that all the vac hoses will need to be replaced - buy the kit - and probably the injector seals and throttle body/plenum seals, and in my case the intake runner seals as well. the first one you will learn a bunch and the next 2 will be much easier/faster! I now drive mine almost daily and recently took it to the Octeenerfest/dragon run!! (@ $5k later for all new brakes, lines suspensionss front and rear etc) it adds up but over time it doesn't seem so bad, LOL!
-oh, Welcome!!
+Quote Post
paxton
post Oct 8 2014, 04:09 PM
Post #17

My wife and I went to NAPA to try to get the pump. The nearest one was in Dallas and I'd have to pay $10 to get it here. Same with the fuel filter. I'll just find one online and save. I ended up spending $120 there anyway, for new hoses and various things. Wire strippers, a big bundle of German brown ground wire. Etc.

I looked at sad, sad Birgit. Someone had installed a pretty hokey center console that contained only an aftermarket radio. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) We pulled that out. Her dash needed to be redone, so we are pulling it out too. We stopped before we were completely done, but we made some headway. See the picture below.

This thread was invaluable: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=42757&st=0

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
paxton
post Oct 12 2014, 08:42 PM
Post #18

I'm going to send out the gas tank to get it stripped and cleaned. The drained gas was nasty, and since I already have it out, I might as well take care of it.

I picked up a fuel filter and E2000 fuel pump.

Does anyone know where I can get a Y for the return, since the E2000 is 2-port?

Thanks!
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Oct 13 2014, 07:31 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

You don't need the Y if going to a two prong. Return goes back to fuel tank.
+Quote Post
paxton
post Oct 13 2014, 09:30 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Oct 13 2014, 08:31 AM) *

You don't need the Y if going to a two prong. Return goes back to fuel tank.

Oh, okay. Don't know what I was thinking. Return right to the fuel tank. Gotcha.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:45 PM