Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Truck lid and Targa top clearance
914Next
post Oct 7 2014, 06:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So.... after placing the targa top in the truck for the first time, I drove the car for 10-15 miles. When I later went to take the top back out I noticed the the trunk lid had actually rubbed on the top of the targa top. Is the clearance that tight? Could I have clamped it in incorrectly? Seemed fairly straightforward but was surprised that I had effectively zero clearance. Only minor rubbing damage but don't want to see that happen again. What did I do wrong?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Oct 7 2014, 06:32 PM
Post #2

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

did you have the top in the trunk the right direction? Targa latches inside the cups, lip edge in the white holders and rear held down with the rubber holders?
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Oct 7 2014, 07:00 PM
Post #3

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Unfortunately mine has done that for years. Rubbing is at rear edge of the top, right where the reinforcement for the trunk lid crosses. It happened even when the car was brand new. Still happens with all new clips/holders front and rear. I've started putting a piece of old sweatshirt material on the back edge of the top before closing the trunk . . . seems to help.
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Oct 7 2014, 07:11 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914Next @ Oct 7 2014, 05:26 PM) *

Could I have clamped it in incorrectly?

I think you have to consider the fact that the car is new to you and the top hadn't shown any wear from rubbing on the trunk lid until now. That tells me most likely the problem was the way you clamped the roof into the trunk.

First, as Garold noted, make sure you have oriented the roof in the same direction as it attaches to the car. When you close the lid, push down with a gentle amount of force. If the trunk doesn't latch immediately, stop and readjust the roof. Remember that the roof can adjust both fore and aft and side to side. My car is really picky about getting the side to side alignment just right ... if I'm off by just a little bit the trunk won't close without an excessive amount of force.
+Quote Post
abnrdo
post Oct 7 2014, 08:16 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,820
Region Association: South East States

Mine has a rub mark from where someone had either sat on the back trunk, or completed numerous dukes of hazard slides. Which in turn knocked the trunks support beams lower to rub the top while in the trunk.

+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Oct 8 2014, 07:39 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(anderssj @ Oct 7 2014, 09:00 PM) *

Unfortunately mine has done that for years. Rubbing is at rear edge of the top, right where the reinforcement for the trunk lid crosses. It happened even when the car was brand new. Still happens with all new clips/holders front and rear. I've started putting a piece of old sweatshirt material on the back edge of the top before closing the trunk . . . seems to help.

+1

I just put a couple layers of duct tape on the inside trunk lid to cushion it.

( back in the 80's when it ran)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Oct 8 2014, 07:47 AM
Post #7

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092

This should not happen even when new. Your latches may be in the cups but they may not be ALL the way in. They are kind of clumsy to get in and if not in all the way, the targa top sits too high.

On the back end, the top fits into the rubber roof brackets. Once inserted, the rubber surrounds the edge and goes over the top of the roof, preventing the roof from coming into contact with the rear bonnet lid. It also sets the roof in place low enough to not touch the lid. My guess is there's something wrong with your installation, that it's not secured properly.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Oct 8 2014, 07:49 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Mine does that too, started happening after replacing the side targa seals. Stiffer/taller seals made it raise enough to rub.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 8 2014, 08:12 AM
Post #9

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

I just bought a large thick bath towel at TJMAXX on sale to lay across the top for protection. i agreee about the tnew seals, once i put on new seals it seems to stick up just a bit more
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Oct 8 2014, 12:16 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

Also check the rubber snubbers that hold the rear edge of the top, they are different left to right. The side seals and rear seals on the top shouldn't really be an issue as the clamps all attach to the fiberglass part of the top.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Oct 8 2014, 12:16 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

Also check the rubber snubbers that hold the rear edge of the top, they are different left to right. The side seals and rear seals on the top shouldn't really be an issue as the clamps all attach to the fiberglass part of the top.
+Quote Post
914Next
post Oct 8 2014, 03:09 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 17,695

Thanks for the input. short term I'll jus go the route us using a thin towel between them. Longer term will check to see what is really going on. Original seals are on the top so it can't be new seals.

+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 8 2014, 08:39 PM
Post #13

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

QUOTE(914Next @ Oct 8 2014, 05:09 PM) *

Thanks for the input. short term I'll jus go the route us using a thin towel between them. Longer term will check to see what is really going on. Original seals are on the top so it can't be new seals.

It does not touch the trunk lid.
Check out how you are putting it in the trunk....it can go in wrong and the lid will close....

+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Oct 8 2014, 09:18 PM
Post #14

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

No matter how much I fuss with the positioning of my top, there is always interference with the lid. I have replaced the rear latches and they are correctly oriented. It just is what it is.
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Oct 10 2014, 07:38 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 13,287

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 8 2014, 02:16 PM) *

That's a new one for me, didn't know they were different. could have been the prob.
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Oct 10 2014, 12:38 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Oct 10 2014, 07:38 AM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 8 2014, 02:16 PM) *

That's a new one for me, didn't know they were different. could have been the prob.

They have a small "R" and "L" embossed on them. I think even the reproduction ones have the markings.
+Quote Post
karmann
post Oct 11 2014, 09:21 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 16,227

I'm also having the same issue. I've checked the orientation of both the tier catches at the bac of the car as they are on the correct way and the bolts are at the bottom of the slotted holes. I've fiddled for ages trying to get it to not be in contact with lid, it's driving me mad!
+Quote Post
shane
post Oct 11 2014, 09:47 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 15,518

Where can you get the plastic clips and rubber snubbers that hold the top in the trunk.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Oct 11 2014, 12:12 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

^^^^ 914rubber.com sells the rear rubber holders. I think Pelican has the front plastic ones.

My trunk lid does not rub at all on the roof. Like stated above, be sure the clips are in the cups and aren't lifting the roof up a bit too high.

Funny, sometimes the roof just pops perfectly in place in the trunk, and sometimes it's like assembling a freekin' Chinese puzzle to get it to fit correctly.
+Quote Post
karmann
post Oct 11 2014, 04:09 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 16,227

Well after careful inspection earlier on today I've come to the conclusion that the rear trunk is contacting the black rubber roof holders, obviously once the roof is in the slots of the holders then this opens them up, and I think that the tab on the top is just a little to high. What does anyone else think?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:06 AM