Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The ultimate ATE vs. URO master cylinder debate, Because I bought one, and it might kill me
paxton
post Oct 23 2014, 01:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,865
Region Association: South East States

Anyone want to compare/contrast?

I need a master cylinder. $225 vs $95 is not enough to get myself killed. I bought one on eBay, but a recent conversation has me rethinking that.

Anyone happy with URO? Any measurable, concrete reasons the ATE is better than URO?

Let the games begin. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 23 2014, 02:00 PM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

I have used both with no problems except:

The URO does not come with great rubbers for the feed lines and they lack the washers under the MC connections. I just used the rubbers & washer from an ATE.

I think their QC may be lacking though.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Oct 23 2014, 02:28 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Big Question? Are you comparing 19mm to 19mm parts? I thought the URO only came in 19mm for the 914-6 or 911. When did they start making the stock 17mm for the -4? It has been shown the larger master cylinder without larger brakes is an urban legend.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Oct 23 2014, 02:31 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've heard of issues with the Ate ones as well. Might be best to check with Eric Shea at PMB and see what he's recommending these days. Also, be sure to bench bleed the master cylinder before installing as sometimes it's an absolute pain to get the pedal to firm up after replacing.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 23 2014, 02:47 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

1. Copied from a post on pelican -
"Failed MC
Ironically, I just replaced the MC on my '71 914 with a uroparts unit, and after 20 minutes of driving, the pedal went to the floor. it would come right back to firm pedal, then fail again. This made for some sketchy driving in traffic back home. On the rack, all four corners were re-bled with a fresh liter of super blue, no improvement. Turns out, the brand new MC was bypassing the brake circuit and simply raising the level in the reservoir. I ordered a new ATE 19mm unit from our host and installed it with no issues(other than having to relinquish the Super Blue for Gold). Check the reservoir level as your pedal is failing to engage."

2. I'm pretty sure Zack-a-Doodle documented a failed uro on his vacca rabbi build thread.

3. Eric Shea does not sell them.

Three strikes, yer out.
+Quote Post
worn
post Oct 23 2014, 05:34 PM
Post #6

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 23 2014, 12:47 PM) *

1. Copied from a post on pelican -
"Failed MC
Ironically, I just replaced the MC on my '71 914 with a uroparts unit, and after 20 minutes of driving, the pedal went to the floor. it would come right back to firm pedal, then fail again. This made for some sketchy driving in traffic back home. On the rack, all four corners were re-bled with a fresh liter of super blue, no improvement. Turns out, the brand new MC was bypassing the brake circuit and simply raising the level in the reservoir. I ordered a new ATE 19mm unit from our host and installed it with no issues(other than having to relinquish the Super Blue for Gold). Check the reservoir level as your pedal is failing to engage."

2. I'm pretty sure Zack-a-Doodle documented a failed uro on his vacca rabbi build thread.

3. Eric Shea does not sell them.

Three strikes, yer out.

I would just add that there are a lot of safety critical parts. For example, the ignition wiring can be pretty important while on the highway.

I am curious about the Uro, but am rebuilding an original ATE after careful honing. That doesn't always inspire confidence either.
+Quote Post
Brian_Boss
post Oct 24 2014, 06:27 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 781

QUOTE(paxton @ Oct 23 2014, 02:35 PM) *

I need a master cylinder. $225 vs $95 is not enough to get myself killed. I bought one on eBay, but a recent conversation has me rethinking that.

Anyone happy with URO? Any measurable, concrete reasons the ATE is better than URO?

Anyone in the trade will tell you that the return rate on the URO is way higher. I think that qualifies as a concrete reason.

With regard to safety, it seems like the issue with the URO is spotty QC (as opposed to they are all deficient in some way). The bad ones tend to be DOA. If you manage to bleed the system then stand on the brakes hard in the garage a couple times without a failure, you will probably be fine.

Note, the above is just my observation and is NOT a recommendation for the URO. We (GPR) don't sell them anymore.
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Oct 24 2014, 12:12 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,042
Region Association: England

QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Oct 24 2014, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(paxton @ Oct 23 2014, 02:35 PM) *

Anyone in the trade will tell you that the return rate on the URO is way higher. I think that qualifies as a concrete reason.

With regard to safety, it seems like the issue with the URO is spotty QC (as opposed to they are all deficient in some way). The bad ones tend to be DOA. If you manage to bleed the system then stand on the brakes hard in the garage a couple times without a failure, you will probably be fine.

Note, the above is just my observation and is NOT a recommendation for the URO. We (GPR) don't sell them anymore.

Ermm, the statements 'you will probably be fine' and 'don't sell them anymore' answers the question for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 24 2014, 12:19 PM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Besides the safety issue, it's abjob you don't want to do to often
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:19 AM