Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Market Values - Low, High, Mid-range market?, What is the market for 914s in the $7,500 to $14,500 Range?
stevegm
post Oct 23 2014, 07:21 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

I see a lot of 914-4s for sale in the $3,500 to $5,500 range. I am talking about complete cars with moderate (sometimes more) rust, and that are nice candidates for restoration. And I see cars in the range of $15,000 and above. Often these have already been restored. I am wondering about the market for 914s in the $7,500 - $14,500 range. Opinions?

While the lower and upper markets make sense. I am surprised there aren't more in that mid-range market. Cars that are fairly original and don't need full restoration (but, are not pristine). Or cars that have had a light restoration. I would expect these cars to fall in that mid range. But, I don't see many for sale.

My theory as to why there is a lack of a mid-market (if there is indeed such a lack) is that these cars (914s) are typically purchased with cash (no loan). And the type of buyer that has $7,500 to $14,500 in cash available to spend on such a car, probably can afford the nicer car in the upper market as well ($15,000 and greater), and simply chooses that upper range car.

If this is true, I wonder where that leaves the market for cars in the mid-range ($7,500 to $14,500). Is there a liquid market where they can be sold in a reasonably time-frame?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 23 2014, 07:46 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Selling a 914 is sort of a gamble. It's a niche market made up of crazy people - like me. So few buyers and sellers relative to the larger auto markets that it's hard to get an accurate "read" on sales. Location, time of year and condition make prices vary from what might be considered the norm.

Maybe the mid range cars, which I'm guessing are actually drivers, aren't trading hands very often because the owners are driving them, not just looking at them as they sit on jackstands under a pile of junk in the garage.

The last time I paid over $3k for a 914 was 30 years ago when I paid 8K for my "rebuilt" car. Now, most of my 914 purchases are around 1k. Can't really get burned buying a 914 for 1k.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
al weidman
post Oct 23 2014, 07:49 PM
Post #3

Al Weidman

Member No.: 8,736
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 23 2014, 06:21 PM) *

I see a lot of 914-4s for sale in the $3,500 to $5,500 range. I am talking about complete cars with moderate (sometimes more) rust, and that are nice candidates for restoration. And I see cars in the range of $15,000 and above. Often these have already been restored. I am wondering about the market for 914s in the $7,500 - $14,500 range. Opinions?

While the lower and upper markets make sense. I am surprised there aren't more in that mid-range market. Cars that are fairly original and don't need full restoration (but, are not pristine). Or cars that have had a light restoration. I would expect these cars to fall in that mid range. But, I don't see many for sale.

My theory as to why there is a lack of a mid-market (if there is indeed such a lack) is that these cars (914s) are typically purchased with cash (no loan). And the type of buyer that has $7,500 to $14,500 in cash available to spend on such a car, probably can afford the nicer car in the upper market as well ($15,000 and greater), and simply chooses that upper range car.

If this is true, I wonder where that leaves the market for cars in the mid-range ($7,500 to $14,500). Is there a liquid market where they can be sold in a reasonably time-frame?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I just sold my '75 on Ebay for $13,210 in a seven day auction. A Calif. no rust car that has just been well taken care of. It is a great driver and I drove it regularly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Oct 23 2014, 08:05 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,428

I think the lack of a mid-market indicates a lack of mid-market 914's available. It's getting harder to find a complete & unmolested "rust free barn find." Generally speaking, I think you get a project, or pay $$$$$ for a completed car.

My car is a restored driver. Mostly stock 2.0 D-Jet. My insurance company increased the total loss coverage to $14K at my request. Appraiser is coming tomorrow.

Very interesting topic.

+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 23 2014, 08:17 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Oct 23 2014, 10:05 PM) *

I think the lack of a mid-market indicates a lack of mid-market 914's available. It's getting harder to find a complete & unmolested "rust free barn find." Generally speaking, I think you get a project, or pay $$$$$ for a completed car.

My car is a restored driver. Mostly stock 2.0 D-Jet. My insurance company increased the total loss coverage to $14K at my request. Appraiser is coming tomorrow.

Very interesting topic.

I hope you are right - lack of supply holding the mid-market down. I am contemplating doing a lighter restoration on a car I have and selling it in this mid-market. My concern about your theory is that, if it is true, we would expect to see an exploding upper-range market (with a lot of demand, since (under the theory) the mid-range cars are not available). While I understand that the values of 914s in general are perhaps going up (although we could all argue as to the speed of this rise in prices), I am not sure I see a tremendous amount of increased demand in the upper range. At least not enough to greatly impact the mid and lower markets.

And that may be the real issue that ultimately drives things with respect to the value of 914s. We need the upper-range market to increase. Demand I mean. Classic car prices increase based on a "pull" theory of supply and demand. As the upper-market cars increase in value (because people buy more of them), they become more difficult for people to find. Therefore, the mid-range car prices get pulled up too, as people come down (from the upper market), into that mid-market to find cars. I am just not sure that the increase in demand for high-end 914s has reached a point to pull the mid-range market demand up yet. But, I could easily be wrong; I often find that I am. :-)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Oct 23 2014, 08:32 PM
Post #6

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

They are on Jackstands!

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Oct 24 2014, 09:48 AM
Post #7

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 23 2014, 07:32 PM) *

They are on Jackstands!

No I think we are just enjoying them and not interested in selling. These are the cars that are "not done yet"; but they are good, solid running cars....just not perfect.
+Quote Post
Hank914
post Oct 24 2014, 10:18 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,215
Region Association: None

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 24 2014, 08:48 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 23 2014, 07:32 PM) *

They are on Jackstands!

No I think we are just enjoying them and not interested in selling. These are the cars that are "not done yet"; but they are good, solid running cars....just not perfect.

As somebody who bought a DD a year ago, and drove it daily until end of summer, I resemble both of those remarks! Now I understand how easy it is to leave it jacked up when starting some work (in my case a tranny rebuild and side shift upgrade) if you have a life beyond the teener. (What shudder taken a couple of weeks took a couple of months). But I finally did get it off the jack stands, and the rebuild, side shift conversion and fresh bushings are a nice upgrade.

As a related topic to the OP's question about market values of the mid range, I wonder how many of the thousands of 914 World members here have "jack stand" cars, versus cars that are drivable? I suspect (with minimal data) that most of this group are in the former rather latter category, and that might impact the sales of the $7-$14K range. Or am I totally wrong?
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Oct 24 2014, 11:53 AM
Post #9

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Mine is a original restored driver. 73 with stock 2.0 installed. I just increased my Haggerty replacement coverage to $12 k, no questions asked. Look at their web site charts for pricing. I'll bet most of us hit the $10-15k range insured (unless it's a -6 or a fancy restoration. I'm just not selling. I enjoy the car too much.
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Oct 24 2014, 12:07 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My '74 is a 'driver condition' car, very solid and nice. I would estimate it's worth at around $8-9k and it only occasionally is up on jackstands. I like to drive it as much while doing projects on it....
+Quote Post
mr2by4
post Oct 24 2014, 12:10 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,439

I just saw a lovely car on CL for sale in Oklahoma. Needs a few touches, but looks like a great condition car in that price range. Also a red car in Memphis.
They are out there. I would guess that the majority of people selling are either selling b/c they have given up on a project, have finished a project that they realize that they no do not drive, or have inherited a car. Most of us, thankfully, don't have to sell our beloved drivers.
+Quote Post
Highland
post Oct 24 2014, 12:22 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 13,418
Region Association: Southern California

What are appraisal values based on? Auction sales, dealer sales, listed prices?

If I sold my 914 I would have a bigger problem on how to find another. 10 years ago I could always find a few in driving condition locally, but no more.

I agree with the above stated supply is low, but demand is also very low so general values hard to determine.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 24 2014, 12:52 PM
Post #13

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

An issue I don't think your considering is the cost involved in bringing that 5-7k car up to the mid market. I would never buy a car with rust repairs that haven't been fully documented. We have seen many cars here on world that had less than a desire able outcome due to inexperience. Just patching up a car on the cheap in hopes of flipping it for quick cash in reality is not what the "mid-range" buyers are looking for.
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post Oct 24 2014, 03:56 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 839
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 24 2014, 10:53 AM) *

I'm just not selling. I enjoy the car too much.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
BK911
post Oct 24 2014, 04:41 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 1,674

914s are starting to get some love from the 911 guys who can't afford 911s anymore. Lots of chatter will eventually lead to increased sale prices.

My 1.7 would be one of the last cars to leave my stable. Probably the most bang for the buck. Rough guesstimate on value is right in the mid range ~5k ish. So I agree with others. The mid range are the good drivers nobody wants to part with.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 24 2014, 04:45 PM
Post #16

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

One market that hasn't figured out the value of these cars and the developing interest over the years are the auction houses. I was turned down by two auction houses lately when I inquired about running some 914's through. Unless your one of the big dogs making the call you'll be cast off like a used rubber. My opinion, their missed opportunity.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Oct 24 2014, 04:59 PM
Post #17

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

I've never sold a 914, never even considered it. I've actually been looking @ others in my area in hopes of finding something reasonable to add to my collection. I'm now convinced I'm off my rocker & don't really care, however I do wonder what to do with my LE since I have no children & don't know of any relatives as nuts as I am. Maybe donate her to the museum if they'll have her. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Oct 24 2014, 05:25 PM
Post #18

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 24 2014, 03:59 PM) *

I've never sold a 914, never even considered it. I've actually been looking @ others in my area in hopes of finding something reasonable to add to my collection. I'm now convinced I'm off my rocker & don't really care, however I do wonder what to do with my LE since I have no children & don't know of any relatives as nuts as I am. Maybe donate her to the museum if they'll have her. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Why would you sentence your LE to a sedentary life in a museum instead of out in it's natural state....twisty roads? These cars are made to be driven. Find a deserving enthusiast and make them a deal they can't refuse.
+Quote Post
Hank914
post Oct 24 2014, 05:46 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 17,215

Why would you sentence your LE to a sedentary life in a museum instead of out in it's natural state....twisty roads? These cars are made to be driven. Find a deserving enthusiast and make them a deal they can't refuse.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

There is a reason people keep saying they spotted a 914 in it's natural habitat.

Drive em, upgrade em, drive em some more, repair em, drive em.

Repeat as needed.
+Quote Post
dw914six
post Oct 24 2014, 08:37 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 16,902

It's a really good question. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

I have owned these 914 cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/crest.gif) since 1979, and have sold most that I owned, due to kids, kids and kids. Now I have 3 (2 sixes and 1 four banger).

What I have noticed watching this market is that is that most 914 owners are either in the business in some way or are guys who can do impressive amounts of work on the cars. I am not one of the gifted, but many of you are.

There are far more buyers who can turn wrenches buying 914 cars than other cars of that era and price category. You guys buy them and continually work and tweak them. The average Alfa buyer has a garage queen for a car.

Bottom line is we look for deals.

The higher priced cars hit the investors and money guys who don't mind stepping up to pay. Everyone else lands in the enthusiast market made up of guys here who can buy cheap and rebuild to very high standards.

I just don't see as many in the mid price ranges. If a very nice example hits the market for $15,000, most folks in this forum would choose to buy one for $5,000 and then put $10,000 into it and have a much, much nicer 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Thats my view. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dance.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:38 AM