Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WTB Early 914-6 Dash Frame, Column etc, Long shot for genuine -6 restoration
SixerJ
post Oct 24 2014, 01:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,042
Region Association: England

I know this is a long shot but I'm trying to locate a genuine early six dash frame structure

I also need to locate the other unique dash components i.e. genuine column, clamshell, eyebrows etc

I have found one or two parts including the steering lock & bezel which is a step in the right direction for what will be a long restoration

It's all needed to replace the custom dash and later column that the PO installed into my 1970 -6 when he converted it to a race car

Many thanks
Jon

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Oct 25 2014, 07:30 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Several years back Porsche had some dash frames in Germany. You might check there. They were around $600.
+Quote Post
ChicagoPete
post Oct 25 2014, 10:26 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,427

I have a used lower dash pad...also know as the knee pad.

Don't know if you need it, but, if you do, let me know.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 25 2014, 11:36 AM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I would remake a dash from an early 4 and spend the cash on the visible 6 parts.
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Oct 25 2014, 01:09 PM
Post #5

Thanks guys,

In the pile of bits I think I have a lower dash pad, I'm fairly sure a later one. Either way I seem to recall its not in great condition. I will dig it out of the loft and check it out

I know this probably sounds stupid, but I've only 2 later -4's and never had to pull them apart to this extent. One of the issues of being in the UK is that 914's are just so thin on the ground (in seven years of ownership of my black -4 and commuting into and around London every day for 20+ years I could count on one hand the number of 914's I've seen on the road. Even shows like Classic's at the Castle you might see half a dozen max and that show attracts people from the continent as well! 914's are Uber rare here and as a result it's not like I can pop over to have a poke around someone else car

Sorry, rant over, back to the plot

I do have a later spare dash with vents that came with the car (hence I think I have a vented knee pad). I was told it was a six dash from the guy I bought the car from, I'm convinced it must be a -4 as there is no lock dimple. I suppose it could be from a late -6?

Mark / anyone else do you know exactly the difference between the early -4 and -6 dash structure? Is it just the angled dimple for the lock & different sized glove box? or are there some other subtle differences

Sorry for the stupid questions and lack of knowledge, but descriptions / pictures of an early -4 dash and -6 would be helpful if that is the route I will have to go down

On the plus side, I did drag my backside over the engine bay to have a good look at the engine. Since I bought the car, believe it or not I've never checked the engine number and it's not listed on the V5 (pink slip). It's obvious its an early engine but I convinced myself it couldn't be the original engine considering all the other changes / removals - turns out I have a matching numbers car! Apart from the number on the dash that is.....

Also ordered $4700 worth of bits from Germany today!

I will take some pictures of the spare dash & pad I have, plus the current -6 dash so you can all have a giggle
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Oct 25 2014, 07:19 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

-6 dashes have the indention for the lock from the column just like the 911 of the period had. It was held in place with shear bolts. Sheet metal covered in vinyl where the switches are is completely different. Glove box should be the same as the -4 large style.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Oct 25 2014, 09:34 PM
Post #7

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Here us a picture of an early dash frame. The hole cut out to the left the the column was from the installation of a temp gauge.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Oct 29 2014, 09:12 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Six dash with 911 lock location

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Festive_Zombie
post Oct 30 2014, 11:58 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 7,444
Region Association: None

Thanks so much for this as I'm in the same boat!

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 29 2014, 08:12 PM) *

Six dash with 911 lock location

+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Oct 30 2014, 01:59 PM
Post #10

Thank you! I presume your dash has been hacked around where it folds under, as it looks like some metal has been re-moved?

I should be able take some pictures of my dash and spares at the weekend
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:34 AM