Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WTB: Billet Inspection cover with sensor hole, anyone have one?
malcolm2
post Nov 25 2014, 03:20 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

Anyone have one of these that they will sell me? I'm checking around on Samba too. Lots of pictures, but nothing for sale, that I can find.

Attached Image

Reply if you have a plain non-taco cover plate too. I found the "how-to" to drill a hole and add the sensor. I am not cutting on mine, I want a spare to play with.

Clark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Nov 25 2014, 06:46 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

This might not be exactly what you are looking for but I bought one of these:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=978324

These come from Jonesy (Neil) in UK so it's not exactly local... I had mine in about a week.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Nov 25 2014, 07:36 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Java2570 @ Nov 25 2014, 06:46 PM) *

This might not be exactly what you are looking for but I bought one of these:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=978324

These come from Jonesy (Neil) in UK so it's not exactly local... I had mine in about a week.

not bad. My sender came with several adapters. my only concern will be how much it sticks out with the sender in the bushing.

I guess you use the OEM o-ring? His ad never mentions that. But I do see what looks like the hollow collapsible washers and hardware. looks like it will be @$64 US$, shipped.

Have you put yours on?
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Nov 25 2014, 07:55 PM
Post #4

I have installed it and did use the OEM o ring. I believe it does require you to switch to a different sender also. I was changing my oil temp gauge so I bought both at the same time....I think it's VDO 323-055 sender. It doesn't stick out of the plate much at all. Jonesy was pretty good at answering questions so you could shoot him any specific things too. Jon
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 25 2014, 08:13 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

An oil temp sensor is a sensitive instrument, so an aluminum plate with cooling fins will make the sensor read low, because the sensor is being cooled by the aluminum. Building a plate is a balance between keeping the airflow around the engine from cooling the sensor, and having the plate and sensor working together to accurately represent oil temp. Too thick of a plate and it will be slow to respond to oil temp changes. Too heat conductive and it reads low.

This sensor is the one that comes with most VDO numeric gauges. It's not compatible with the stock 914 oil temp gauges though. This sender is short enough to install vertical in the sump and still be covered in oil. But it should be covered somehow to keep airflow to a minimum. You can find a 14x1.5 threaded bung and weld it to the flat non-sensor plate.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.vdo-gauges.com-419-1416967996.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Nov 25 2014, 08:47 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 25 2014, 08:13 PM) *

You can find a 14x1.5 threaded bung and weld it to the flat non-sensor plate.

I would consider a std plate so I can do this. They just use a nut to attach the sender. Bung would be good, not sure I trust my welding tho.

Attached Image

I don't want to drill into mine without having a spare, then I found the "air cooled" picture and now Jonesy's version. I think it is one of the bus sites that has a std one that looks threaded, but they don't say what their threads are. They have 2, IIRC, one for $60-ish, one for $80-ish.

TimND has put a VDO needle in my combo gauge, it came with a different sender and metric bushings. my gauge testing post
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Nov 26 2014, 07:57 AM
Post #7

Clark - I do have an extra std inspection cover if you want it to drill and weld on a bung.
I got it with my W series engine case and I'm not going to use it.....lemme know and I can send it to you. Jon
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Nov 26 2014, 08:04 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Java2570 @ Nov 26 2014, 07:57 AM) *

Clark - I do have an extra std inspection cover if you want it to drill and weld on a bung.
I got it with my W series engine case and I'm not going to use it.....lemme know and I can send it to you. Jon

Sounds like what I am after.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:11 PM