Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Unsolicited plug for 'Road & Track', If you haven't read an issue in a while, you should...
Nozzle
post Dec 18 2014, 06:57 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,725
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I hadn't read the magazine 'Road & Track' really since I was a kid, but my wife got me a free subscription last Christmas and I have to say it's better than it ever was even without regular Peter Egan editorials. One of the very few magazines I read from cover to cover and always come away impressed. So if like me you'd been away for a long time, maybe it's time to get reacquainted. I think you'll be happy you did. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Dec 18 2014, 08:19 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I never read a People cover to cover until I got food poisoning in Tahoe once... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pain30.gif)
+Quote Post
pt_700
post Dec 18 2014, 12:22 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,430
Region Association: Northern California

as a long time subscriber, i have to respectfully disagree.

it looks and feels (and often reads) like a fashion magazine now. not to say there aren't some good articles but, i'm not sure if i'll renew.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
richardL
post Dec 18 2014, 05:09 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 201
Region Association: None

QUOTE(pt_700 @ Dec 18 2014, 10:22 AM) *

it looks and feels (and often reads) like a fashion magazine now. not to say there aren't some good articles but, i'm not sure if i'll renew.

My feelings exactly - I read it for years, until it all changed and I could not stand it anymore, so I cancelled.

They do an 'auto renew' as well, you have to go online to cancel - then they add your email to all kinds of junk lists - I started receiving offers for all their other rags, about cooking and embroidery etc. Took ages to get off the lists
+Quote Post
maf914
post Dec 19 2014, 06:40 AM
Post #5

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

Not meaning to go negative on Nozzle, but I also respectfully disagree.

I have read Road & Track since I was a kid in the sixties. Along with Car & Driver it was my first exposure to sports cars, sports car racing and Formula 1. Magazines were the only source of info in those pre-pre-pre internet days.

When R&T made the format change a couple of years ago, I didn't like it, but I decided I would give it a chance. Then Peter Egan left and along with that the best reason to continue. The magazine now feels like a men's fashion magazine. I don't know if I will renew again.

Another magazine that has recently made a disastrous format change is Classic Motorsports, Grassroots Motorsports sister publication. Used to be a favorite...
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Dec 19 2014, 07:00 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

When the corporate group bought R&T and C&D, I think they both went downhill. Autoweek also has gone downhill over the years in my mind. Maybe it's me getting older anymore cynical, but they all seem to just be doing the same thing, and all the great columnists that gave them character have gone away.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 19 2014, 07:09 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(maf914 @ Dec 19 2014, 07:40 AM) *

Not meaning to go negative on Nozzle, but I also respectfully disagree.

I have read Road & Track since I was a kid in the sixties. Along with Car & Driver it was my first exposure to sports cars, sports car racing and Formula 1. Magazines were the only source of info in those pre-pre-pre internet days.

When R&T made the format change a couple of years ago, I didn't like it, but I decided I would give it a chance. Then Peter Egan left and along with that the best reason to continue. The magazine now feels like a men's fashion magazine. I don't know if I will renew again.

Another magazine that has recently made a disastrous format change is Classic Motorsports, Grassroots Motorsports sister publication. Used to be a favorite...

What format change did Classic Motorsports and Grassroots Motorsports recently make? I haven't paid much attention to them in a while.
+Quote Post
sbsix
post Dec 19 2014, 03:43 PM
Post #8

only the lead dog enjoys a change in scenery...

Member No.: 13,990
Region Association: Southern California

The age of the magazine is really gone. R & T was a bible for many years to us older car guys, but even when they got rid of the good writers and Dennis S. and changed the format I subscribed just for Peter Egan. When he left there was no reason to continue but they badgered me with dunning notices and threats when I let my subscription end without renewal.

They deserve to be gone, hopefully soon.

At least Pete Stout has revived Panorama and made it so much better than before. Excellence was great when Stout was the editor, but it's on the downhill since he left. The rest of the car mags are mediocre now, too. Sad really.
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Dec 19 2014, 04:36 PM
Post #9

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

I agree,

They all mostly suck. I anxciously look over the bookcase before I board a flight but I rarely find anything I will pay the outragious prices for.

Occaisionally I will find a 911 magazine like Excellence or one of the English publications at a book store, but that is a rare treat.

John
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Dec 19 2014, 04:49 PM
Post #10

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

Ditto. The new format seems schizophrenic to me. 57 globules of unrelated information on a page is irritating. My wife does marketing and communications for a living, and she tells me that this is quite the fad right now. They call it info tags or some such nonsense.

So I think it depends on your age. If you are a 20-something hipster, you might like it. Otherwise, it probably led you to drop the subscription (like me).
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Dec 19 2014, 05:17 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

How about Sports Car Market. That's my current fave...

Paul
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 19 2014, 05:26 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

QUOTE(sbsix @ Dec 19 2014, 04:43 PM) *

The age of the magazine is really gone. R & T was a bible for many years to us older car guys, but even when they got rid of the good writers and Dennis S. and changed the format I subscribed just for Peter Egan. When he left there was no reason to continue but they badgered me with dunning notices and threats when I let my subscription end without renewal.

They deserve to be gone, hopefully soon.

At least Pete Stout has revived Panorama and made it so much better than before. Excellence was great when Stout was the editor, but it's on the downhill since he left. The rest of the car mags are mediocre now, too. Sad really.

Ya, I agree. I have been thinking about this for a while. What happened to useful magazines? Pano from the 70s. While I agree that much of the media has moved online, I still believe there is value in print, if it is done correctly. I miss paper, and being able to carry it around and read it when I get a second, or take it to the garage, etc.

I worked with Tim on some projects about a decade ago right after he founded Classic Motorsports. It was good then. I haven't paid much attention to it lately. I guess I need to pick it up and see what has changed.

This conversation is coming at a very interesting time, given a new project that I am starting. More to come soon . . . .
+Quote Post
emoze
post Dec 19 2014, 06:48 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 18,149

X2 X2

i just got offer to re-subscribe for $8 - tore it up - CD and GRM will not be renewed either

QUOTE(maf914 @ Dec 19 2014, 04:40 AM) *

When R&T made the format change a couple of years ago, I didn't like it, but I decided I would give it a chance. Then Peter Egan left and along with that the best reason to continue. The magazine now feels like a men's fashion magazine.

+Quote Post
Beach914
post Dec 19 2014, 07:21 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,519

No comparing a late sixties R&T to a recent edition. I have a collection of them from 1965 until 1974 and it'll never be like that again. Yeah I'm old, but I also appreciate the new tech and use of social media, but the soul of the magazine is gone.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 19 2014, 07:30 PM
Post #15

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 19 2014, 05:36 PM) *

I agree,

They all mostly suck. I anxciously look over the bookcase before I board a flight but I rarely find anything I will pay the outragious prices for.

Occaisionally I will find a 911 magazine like Excellence or one of the English publications at a book store, but that is a rare treat.

John

Ipad, kindle, really any reader.....take your pic.
The volumes of great media available is really cool, a lot is free.

I subscribe to 20 or more online magazines, when deals come up, or free.
Lots of stuff to read on a plane.

Rich
+Quote Post
ethanbrooks
post Dec 19 2014, 11:07 PM
Post #16

Unregistered

Buying a brand new car is not that easy if you are not financially stable. You should have a lot of cash in order for you to buy a new car. It was super easy to get a fantastic auto loan and the best deal on a brand new vehicle through a site I came across. I put in my location to find the vehicle I wanted, and the site helped me compare costs. It is much easier to get a great deal whenever you know precisely what to cover your car. When have you sought details concerning a new or pre-owned motor vehicle and turned to an online search on my car loan? Look no further, everything you must have is located at CarDealExpert.com! If you need to get your car fix, you should try availing an auto loan right now. You will be able to get your car fix on time.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Dec 20 2014, 07:15 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Nozzle and ethanbrooks
Hmmmmm.......
+Quote Post
pt_700
post May 29 2015, 05:52 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 11,430
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(pt_700 @ Dec 18 2014, 11:22 AM) *

not to resurrect an old thread, and out of respect to the o.p., i must eat a bit of crow...

the last few issues have been pretty darn good! the current issue has a nice shot of the new cayman gt4 on it's cover and a good article within. i also really dug the article on "king of the hammers" race in the mojave.

nice to have you back, road & track! glad i didn't follow through on my threat not to re-subscribe...
+Quote Post
struckn
post May 29 2015, 07:32 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I get and read Road & Track and agree it's changed but feel it's still worth the low subscription cost.

I also get Panorama and the cost is Membership in PCA, which I like very much being part of. The Photograph in Panorama is incredible.

The other Magazine which I think fills the void is Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car. I enjoy David LaChance, Editor, reminds me a lot some of Peter Egan.

Front Porch. Rocking Chair, Cigar and a cold beverage is where I read, weather permitting.

+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post May 29 2015, 08:38 PM
Post #20

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

QUOTE(struckn @ May 29 2015, 05:32 PM) *

I get and read Road & Track and agree it's changed but feel it's still worth the low subscription cost.

I also get Panorama and the cost is Membership in PCA, which I like very much being part of. The Photograph in Panorama is incredible.

The other Magazine which I think fills the void is Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car. I enjoy David LaChance, Editor, reminds me a lot some of Peter Egan.

Front Porch. Rocking Chair, Cigar and a cold beverage is where I read, weather permitting.

Funny, you and I have the exact same subscription list. The only difference is that I prefer the back patio in a hanging chair and no cigar, but I might give that a shot and see if it enhances the experience! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:51 PM