Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steve's Silver '72 (Not so) Quick Build Thread, Scratched the fender. Maybe it will buff out.
stevegm
post Dec 18 2014, 05:16 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

As some of you might recall, I have a Gemini Blue '71 that I am hoping to do a complete restoration on, eventually. Build thread - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=242895&hl=

However, right after I began that restoration, I came across a nice buy on a '72 and couldn't resist the idea of having a good driver while I do the restoration on the blue car. So, here we go again.

I bought the car from the previous owner (in South Florida), who has been incredibly helpful. When I saw the condition of the car, and what he had put into it, I got in my truck that weekend and drove to South Miami from Charlotte (by myself) to get the car. It turned out to be a great trip.

The car had been sitting inside for over 10 years, following his driving it from California to the east coast. During that time he tinkered with fixing various things, had it painted, and completely rebuilt the engine. He kept the most meticulous records I have ever seen. Unfortunately, he worked out of the country for much of the time and just never really got a chance to finish it. After the engine was rebuilt, he got it running for a short time, and then couldn't get it running again.

The seller was nice enough to let me do a thorough inspection of the car, and even let me remove the screws that hold the lower part of the rocker covers on, to take a look at the longs. The car is very clean. Anyhow, I got it home, got the new engine running - a newly built 1911 with all of the bells and whistles - The engine not running turned out to be a simple electrical issue (rotor was not clicked in correctly). I then took the engine out. I want to take the car back to 100% original (or close), and also wanted the engine out while I inspected it for rust, etc. I am getting ready to sell the brand new 1911 engine, if your looking for a good one.

I took the car to Scotty's for two weeks and he fixed a very small amount of rust around the jack posts, and treated the inside of the longs. Scotty does amazing work, and I couldn't be happier with it. Now it is completely rust free. I have a '72 1.7L engine with injection for the car. We recently disassembled the engine at Black Forest Racing, and John, my son, and I are going to rebuild it to original specs.

Anyhow, as I have gone over the car, I have come to realize that it is probably a better car than my blue one. No accidents, no rust, and very clean in nearly every detail.

My plan is to rebuild the engine and repaint the car (it has some nicks, scratches, etc. and was painted over twice) this winter, and drive it to the Hershey Swap Meet in April. Wish me luck.

I will post the progress here.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 18 2014, 05:28 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I think that's a great plan. You can always dig into the blue one later but having a car that can be back up and ruining in 6 month is very attractive.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 18 2014, 07:01 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Here's my to do list to give myself some accountability to get her back on the road quickly:

DONE:
1. Minor rust repair - Done - Scotty (Kahiko Customs and Restoration) - http://kahikocustoms.com
2. New wheels - Pedrinnis - Brad at 914 Limited - http://914ltd.com/
3. New seat upholstery - Burgundy-red (#47) Plaid - 914rubber's Group Buy - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=244388

TO DO:
4. Restore wheels - considering painting the Pedrinnis red to match the plaid seats. Or maybe not.
5. New tires - still figuring out what size/brand
6. New Windshield chrome - always collecting/looking for clean chrome
7. New sail panel chrome - dealer has these I think
8. Rebuild '72 engine for car - working - Black Forest Racing - http://blackforestracing.com
9. Original muffler - still looking
10. Sand car down and have it painted - procrastinating
11. New rocker covers - need to order
12. New carpet - need to determine what type/color it had originally
13. Play with the hood - the PO ran very large speaker wires from the interior, by the gas tank, and over the bulk head in the front trunk. This pushed the right side of the hood up a bit when it was closed, and caused it to go wop a little. Still playing with it to get it to lay down correctly.
14. Have seats done with new plaid upholstery
15. Sell newly rebuilt 1911 engine to keep wife happy.

COA - need to order
+Quote Post
bcheney
post Dec 18 2014, 08:01 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,348

What a cool story and plan. Maintain momentum and have a blast with it!
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 25 2014, 05:34 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

I removed the windshield chrome today. We will start sanding the car down for paint tomorrow.
+Quote Post
type47
post Dec 27 2014, 07:43 AM
Post #6

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

'splain you engine plans again ... you took out a bells and whistles 1911 engine out to rebuild it?
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 27 2014, 08:49 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(type47 @ Dec 27 2014, 08:43 AM) *

'splain you engine plans again ... you took out a bells and whistles 1911 engine out to rebuild it?

No. We took the engine out for two reasons:

1. To do a full inspection for rust, etc. you really need to take the engine out. For example, sometimes the suspension consoles literally crack. To fully inspect for that you really need the engine removed.

2. The PO had cleaned out the hell hole (which is in great condition). But, he used POR-15 when he was done. I am learning that POR-15 isn't what it is cracked up to be. In fact, in the trunk, there was surface rust under the POR-15 he applied. Fortunately, it wasn't bad. Anyhow, to remove the POR-15 from the hell hole and do it right, we needed the engine out.

The engine that came with the car is a newly rebuilt 1911, all of the bells and whistles. But, I want to take the car back to original. I happen to have a '72 engine that was complete with injection. So, I am rebuilding that engine to factory specs (just got the NOS pistons last week). It also gives me a nice project to do with my son who wants to rebuild an engine for the first time. I am going to list the 1911 engine for sale on 914world in a couple weeks.
+Quote Post
type47
post Dec 27 2014, 01:24 PM
Post #8

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

QUOTE(stevegm @ Dec 27 2014, 06:49 AM) *

... It also gives me a nice project to do with my son who wants to rebuild an engine...

good enough reason right there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 27 2014, 02:03 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Interesting development. Isn't that a single layer of paint, then primer, then bare metal?

The PO had this car painted to a custom silver color (he spent $5,000). Then it got nicked up and a small motorcycle fell on the door, etc. Since the PO didn't have the paint code, we need to paint the whole car (and we want to go original color). And when we worked on it at Scotty's we concluded they had painted over the original paint. But, it doesn't look like it here. This looks like bare metal, primer, and then paint, right? What do you think?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 27 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Although there were no signs of rust, I wanted to remove the sail panel vinyl anyway. Just to be sure. Did the driver's side today. The glue under there was a PITA to get off. But, it was nice to see the original color under there. I think there was a debate in another thread as to whether the factory painted the sail panel under the vinyl, or left it primed. Mine was painted. Or, maybe this vinyl was added by a PO. I will have to check and see if the sail vinyl was available in '72.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 27 2014, 06:44 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

I guess the appearance group option was available in '72, which included vinyl sail panels. I wonder if a COA would show whether the car was ordered with the appearance group option.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 28 2014, 01:59 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Removed the targa trim. The piece of chrome that goes across the back of the targa bar (horizontal) is a PITA to get off. Also removed the passenger sail panel vinyl, and sanded the glue off. And then block sanded the trunk lid. It was pretty straight. No surprises.

A panel a day will have it on the road in May. Wait, I mean April. Anyone else building a car to take to the Hershey Swap Meet?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 28 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #13

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(stevegm @ Dec 28 2014, 02:59 PM) *

Removed the targa trim. The piece of chrome that goes across the back of the targa bar (horizontal) is a PITA to get off. Also removed the passenger sail panel vinyl. And then block sanded the trunk lid. It was pretty straight. No surprises.

A panel a day will have it on the road in May. Wait, I mean April. Anyone else building a car to take to the Hershey Swap Meet?

Yes. The year is still tbd.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 29 2014, 02:11 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Got the passenger door and quarter panel block sanded, and went back and finished the driver's door and quarter panel. Started the hood. I haven't sanded on a car since I repainted my 912 the summer before I went to law school. I can report that it hasn't gotten any easier.
+Quote Post
barebrad
post Dec 29 2014, 02:45 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 16,382

QUOTE(stevegm @ Dec 29 2014, 02:11 PM) *

Got the passenger door and quarter panel block sanded, and went back and finished the driver's door and quarter panel. Started the hood. I haven't sanded on a car since I repainted my 912 the summer before I went to law school. I can report that it hasn't gotten any easier.

Since then, they have invented these air operated tools that make sanding a little easier! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 29 2014, 05:05 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(barebrad @ Dec 29 2014, 03:45 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Dec 29 2014, 02:11 PM) *

Since then, they have invented these air operated tools that make sanding a little easier! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I can hardly spell air sander. Much less operate one like a pro. It has been a long time since I did any body work. This car seems to have been stripped and painted very well by the PO. It is very straight. We are only painting it to take it back to original color and to address a few minor dents, etc. I don't want to mess it up with an air sander. I am block sanding it by hand. Then sending it to be primed, sanded some more, and painted by someone that actually knows what they are doing.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Jan 1 2015, 09:00 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

I took the driver's side window and vent window out. I also got the fuzzy strip channel out. I still need to do the passenger side. I hate to have to put these doors back together. I know it will be a pain. But, it will make for a cleaner paint job not to have to tape off the vent window lower rubber strip and the fuzzy strip channel.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Jan 3 2015, 03:10 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

In prepping the cowl area for primer we found a little surface rust in the windshield channel. So, today we took the windshield out to make sure that it is removed. Rust in that channel can wreak havoc on a car. Luckily we caught it in time. It is all surface rust.

We are going to Ospho, prime, and paint the inside floor pans this coming week, before it goes to the painter for the exterior. Fortunately, the pans are in great shape. We want to keep them that way.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Jan 3 2015, 03:42 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

What a difference it is today from working on these cars in the 1980s, when all we had was the Porsche shop manuals and a Haynes manual. 914world is awesome.

After we pulled the windshield today we noticed that the rubber seal between the windshield and the dash was cracked. I started to pull it off a little and it cracked more. I got worried that I might have to pull the dash to get it out (it seems that when you start taking a few things apart on these cars, it never stops :-). I searched it and quickly found this - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=219761

Thanks 914world.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Jan 5 2015, 02:43 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

I pulled the taillight housings out today. Note to newbies - please don't silicon the light housings in. It makes it very difficult to get them out without breaking them. I also pulled the cracked seal between the windshield and the dash, as well as the engine lid grill. For the rest of the week we are going to work on the pans (inside) and clean up the front truck rubber channel - Ospho, prime, paint. Then the car should be pretty much ready for the painter.

Here is our planned schedule:

January - Finish paint - car, rocker covers, engine grills, and two dash vents.
February - Reassemble interior, rubber, lights, etc.
March - Build/install new engine.
April - Hershey Spring Fling & Swap Meet
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:31 AM