Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> stereo?, what stereos are you guys using?
max72914
post Mar 29 2015, 01:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,447
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hi, just got a 71 914 for my first car. This is my first post. My car is in pretty good shape considering its been in a garage and hadnt seen the road for just over 30 years. I got it running now, and now am just working on the cosmetics. All im looking to buy now is a stereo. I dont want an overpowering, extremely expensive stereo, but i want something that will fit nicely (without cutting into the doors), and will still sound good too. Ive got a decent amount of money to put into it. Anyways, what are you guys using? Please dont say u dont have one because it ruins the driving experience. Its a cruiser/commuter, not a race car. Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lawman_Rich
post Mar 29 2015, 01:48 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,228
Region Association: None

QUOTE(max72914 @ Mar 29 2015, 12:44 PM) *

Hi, just got a 71 914 for my first car. This is my first post. My car is in pretty good shape considering its been in a garage and hadnt seen the road for just over 30 years. I got it running now, and now am just working on the cosmetics. All im looking to buy now is a stereo. I dont want an overpowering, extremely expensive stereo, but i want something that will fit nicely (without cutting into the doors), and will still sound good too. Ive got a decent amount of money to put into it. Anyways, what are you guys using? Please dont say u dont have one because it ruins the driving experience. Its a cruiser/commuter, not a race car. Thanks!

I would like to know too. I just ripped out crappy system and want something that fits the standard 4X7 hole. Does Blaupunkt Toronto 420 fit a 4X7 hole?
Thanks
+Quote Post
Lawman_Rich
post Mar 29 2015, 01:59 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,228

Ooops.... Meant to say 2 x 7 hole in my 76
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 29 2015, 02:46 PM
Post #4

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

It's a standard single din. I've got a pioneer sch series, 1000 watt boss amp in the front trunk, 2 -250w kicker 6x8s in the modified stock pods and a 300w 8" sub in front of my custom console. Kicks ass even at 80 with the top off. Yes, I'm in my sixties, and still like my sixties music loud.
+Quote Post
max72914
post Mar 29 2015, 03:49 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 29 2015, 01:46 PM) *

It's a standard single din. I've got a pioneer sch series, 1000 watt boss amp in the front trunk, 2 -250w kicker 6x8s in the modified stock pods and a 300w 8" sub in front of my custom console. Kicks ass even at 80 with the top off. Yes, I'm in my sixties, and still like my sixties music loud.

Thats pretty awesome! Im into classic rock too so ill definately look up the stuff youve got, sounds like a good steup
+Quote Post
max72914
post Mar 29 2015, 03:52 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 29 2015, 01:46 PM) *

Do you have any pictures?
+Quote Post
gfg3
post Mar 29 2015, 04:16 PM
Post #7

Never Too Old

Member No.: 18,295

I've got a Blaupunkt CD2001 running through a Jensen JXP680 amp driving 3 Blaupunkt speakers (1 in the center stack, 2 in the kick panels). Maybe a little dated but a great system!

George
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 29 2015, 04:18 PM
Post #8

I drive my car everyday

Not sure what to take pics of. Speakers can't be seen, head unit is just a pioneer with removable face, and amp is mounted on the fuel tank firewall. I mostly use the Bluetooth mode on the head unit and play music from my android.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 29 2015, 05:52 PM
Post #9

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I have stereo Weber 46's and stereo open megaphones...sorry, couldn't resist...nor would I be able to hear it if my car actually had a stereo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Mar 29 2015, 06:09 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,787

I'd like to replace that junk I have with just something that has, AM/FM, and a port to plug a MP3 player into without using a cord, and fit the opening, without any cutting.
+Quote Post
pvollma
post Mar 29 2015, 06:19 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 15,862
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(partwerks @ Mar 29 2015, 08:09 PM) *

I'd like to replace that junk I have with just something that has, AM/FM, and a port to plug a MP3 player into without using a cord, and fit the opening, without any cutting.

I have a Pioneer DEH-X6600BS, fits right in the opening. AM/FM/CD/USB, with Bluetooth and my SiriusXM Android app I get satellite radio on it, if you have a Bluetooth MP3 player you won't need the cord attachment. Bluetooth also works with the Android phone, of course, so satisfies a hands-free requirement. Supports IPod, too, although I don't have one of those so I can't comment.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 29 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #12

I drive my car everyday

QUOTE(pvollma @ Mar 29 2015, 07:19 PM) *

I have a Pioneer DEH-X6600BS, fits right in the opening. AM/FM/CD/USB, with Bluetooth and my SiriusXM Android app I get satellite radio on it, if you have a Bluetooth MP3 player you won't need the cord attachment. Bluetooth also works with the Android phone, of course, so satisfies a hands-free requirement. Supports IPod, too, although I don't have one of those so I can't comment.

I misspoke in my earlier post. My pioneer is the dehx6600bt. The sch is the blue tooth connection.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Mar 29 2015, 06:28 PM
Post #13

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Alpine cd mp3 player with 8" Quart subs driven by Alpine T220 amp, Alpine type R 5 1/4 door driven by head unit and 6.5 kick panel speakers driven by Alpine T240 amp.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
somd914
post Mar 29 2015, 06:55 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 12,741

PO installed an Alpine amp and crossovers in a custom panel against the tank bulkhead, custom footwell enclosures for Alpine 6.5" and tweeters, a custom under dash 10" Blaupunkt sub, coupled with an Alpine head in a custom console. I've had the car four years, never use it - listen to the Webers behind my ears. Even with the car lined with Dynamat at speed I have to crank it to the point of not being able to hear traffic or the passenger in order to hear the music well.

I've been wanting to remove the entire system much to the dislike of the PO, but hey, that frees up probably 40-50 lbs.

Yes, I enjoy my music, but I prefer a decent listening environment at home. But for each their own; it's great we have variety.

I can post pics tomorrow to give an idea about the setup since there are numerous options for getting tunes in a teener.
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Mar 29 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 6,787

QUOTE(pvollma @ Mar 29 2015, 04:19 PM) *

This is what I have been using for the MP3 player:
http://www.amazon.com/iRulu-Digital-Player...rulu+mp3+player
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Mar 29 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

I have the stock Panasonic that the dealer installed when the car was new. Works perfectly! I listed to it all day today on my trip from Palm Springs to Oceanside.

Even have the cassette deck that someone added, probably in the 1970s. The car also came with a Sinatra tape from the 70s! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif):

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Porsche930dude
post Mar 29 2015, 07:52 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 13,819

I have a becker europa II in mine but it totally sucks. Probrobly because i need a better antenna but its mostly just for looks at the moment. Iv been thinking about possibly a BLAUPUNKT TORONTO 420 they look good iv heard good things and the price is good
+Quote Post
Porsche930dude
post Mar 29 2015, 07:58 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 13,819

here you can barely see the speakers up under the dash one on the passenger side and one I put in up behind the pedals you can see the bottom of it between the gas and brake.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
pvollma
post Mar 29 2015, 08:07 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 15,862

QUOTE(partwerks @ Mar 29 2015, 09:04 PM) *

QUOTE(pvollma @ Mar 29 2015, 04:19 PM) *

This is what I have been using for the MP3 player:
http://www.amazon.com/iRulu-Digital-Player...rulu+mp3+player

The Pioneer has a USB port on the front panel, looks like this would plug right in to it. I'd take it to a dealer and make sure it works the way you'd want it to.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Mar 29 2015, 09:27 PM
Post #20

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

DIN size head units fit well. Depends on how original the interior is if you still have the 2 shaft faceplate. Mines a JVC x50bt mechless. Walked away from CDs years ago. Front AUX input for the phone or mp3 player.

Current 4x6 Infinity Kappa have zero low end so I'm making 6.5" ABS speaker pods. I have 2 Phoenix Gold 8's wait for me to make a box in the pass foot well or center console, or both.

A $100-200 deck will cover all the useful features. 914s are too small for any of the sound altering features.

No 4x6 speaker will sound good if you want a full range. 6.5" in aftermarket pods is the way to go. A deck/amp with bass boost and an 80-40hz cutoff will pretty much maximize volume and fullness. Which speaker brand depends on your ears.

Blaupunkt makes a nice amp that is narrow enough to fit between the seats or inside the console.

Crutchfield.com is a good place to look at stuff. Tend to be pricey though.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:47 AM