Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 911 front struts? When did they switch to 3.5", Got my new Koni Adjustable struts. Gland nut is wrong though
JRust
post Apr 15 2015, 10:44 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Okay so I thought the 3.5" caliper spacing was on late 70's & up struts. My strut assemblies have koni stamped on them with the part #9013410801. I have Koni classic inserts with part# 861638 which I need to replace. Weird part is my lower ball joints were the early kind with a bolt instead of the pin. I'm going to go out to take a few pics to post. I have new lemforder ball joints but they are for the pin insert & not the bolt. Didn't realize they were different than what was on there. I had these sitting in my stash for a while. Just trying to make sure I get the right part.

Somebody who knows the 911 suspension differences please enlighten me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 15 2015, 11:01 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

They were mixed. The "S" brakes had 3.5" spacing, and were available on some of the early-70s 911s, and possibly on late-60s as well. (Hint: They're called "S" brakes for a reason!) I believe they were optional on non-S cars for at least part of that time.

In the late 70s, the "A" calipers were introduced, and they used the same 3.5" bolt spacing. Not sure if the "S" and "A" were available at the same time, but "M" (3" spacing) were.

--DD
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 15 2015, 11:08 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Thanks Dave. So they may be early which could mean they used the bolt through setup ball joints? Instead of the pin
+Quote Post
brant
post Apr 15 2015, 11:39 PM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Dave's right.
You could have an early 70ish S with 3.5
In 72 you could have an S with lTer ball joints and 3.5

In 76 on you could have a 930 with 3.5

And I'm not exact on what year but likely 1978 you could have 3.5 spacing with the sc cars but the stock brakes were steel calipers.

I run 1972S koni struts on my race car with late lower ball joints
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Paragon
post Apr 16 2015, 05:11 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 255
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you like, you can use the 911 later style externally adjustable Koni gas inserts in those housings. The 8641-1039 Sport inserts are packaged with the coarse thread gland nut that won't be appropriate for your Koni strut but you just purchase an additional fine thread gland nut and you're good to go. Although the 914 front insert (8641-1077 Sport) is very similar in shape, it's different enough that it won't drop in.

http://www.paragon-products.com/product-p/8641-1039sport.htm

http://www.paragon-products.com/Koni-Gland...25.01.011.1.htm
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 16 2015, 10:55 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

QUOTE(Paragon @ Apr 16 2015, 04:11 AM) *

If you like, you can use the 911 later style externally adjustable Koni gas inserts in those housings. The 8641-1039 Sport inserts are packaged with the coarse thread gland nut that won't be appropriate for your Koni strut but you just purchase an additional fine thread gland nut and you're good to go.

I like the idea of adjustable. So would the gland nut on my current ones work? Or is the shaft of the strut insert a different size? Plus is there an actual picture of one? This has a picture of 3 different strut's
+Quote Post
Paragon
post Apr 16 2015, 01:52 PM
Post #7

I like the idea of adjustable. So would the gland nut on my current ones work? Or is the shaft of the strut insert a different size? Plus is there an actual picture of one? This has a picture of 3 different strut's

Keep in mind that the 86-1638 you have is adjustable...just not externally adjustable like the 8641-1039 Sport. Your current gland nut likely will not work. It's not really a function of the shaft size but the top of the insert where the gland nut sits on it will be different. Every once in a blue moon we'll have someone get their existing gland nut to work.

I know...we have a generic picture for this insert. Let me see if I can change that and I'll post it up.
+Quote Post
Paragon
post Apr 16 2015, 02:02 PM
Post #8

Ok, our pic should be updated and give you a better idea of what the insert actually looks like:

+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 16 2015, 05:10 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

QUOTE(Paragon @ Apr 16 2015, 01:02 PM) *

Ok, our pic should be updated and give you a better idea of what the insert actually looks like:

That pic shows a nub on the bottom which mine does not have.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 24 2015, 10:19 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Okay I got my new struts today. They will work just fine with the right gland nut. They won't work with the ones that came out of my strut assembly. The ones they sent are smaller than mine. So looks like I'll be stuck installing my old struts which are kinda shot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Only thing I could think of is hitting a machine shop to 1/16" off the inside of my gland nut. Problem is between the trade & the top there is a gap with a recessed area. Don't think there is enough there if I get it machined. I will give it a shot though

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Paragon
post Apr 25 2015, 06:45 AM
Post #11

Something strange here. Give me a call on Monday and we'll get it straightened out. The 8641-1039 Sports are boxed with coarse thread gland nuts that are not correct for a Koni housing. You should have also received a separate pair of fine thread gland nuts

There's always a chance that the wrong gland nut was pulled. We've done this 100's of times including my own car so it definitely works. Sorry for the hassle but we'll get it figured out.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 25 2015, 09:26 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

QUOTE(Paragon @ Apr 25 2015, 05:45 AM) *

Something strange here. Give me a call on Monday and we'll get it straightened out. The 8641-1039 Sports are boxed with coarse thread gland nuts that are not correct for a Koni housing. You should have also received a separate pair of fine thread gland nuts

There's always a chance that the wrong gland nut was pulled. We've done this 100's of times including my own car so it definitely works. Sorry for the hassle but we'll get it figured out.

They definitely sent me the extra pair of fine thread gland nuts. They had to have grabbed the wrong size fine thread gland nut. It is way to small. I'll make do using my old struts for WCR.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 25 2015, 10:08 AM
Post #13

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Paragon @ Apr 25 2015, 05:45 AM) *

Something strange here. Give me a call on Monday and we'll get it straightened out.

...And this is why I always refer to Paragon as one of the Good Guys. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post
Paragon
post Apr 26 2015, 05:36 PM
Post #14

Thanks for the kind words DD!

I came out to Paragon this afternoon and grabbed the digital calipers. The 73.25.01.011.1 gland nut is 2.08" or 52.88mm on the outside of the threads. Sounds like you received some mystery gland nuts some how. We'll get two of the correct nuts our via Priority Mail and that should solve the problem. We'll include a call tag to bring those back...I'm curious to see what they are!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 27 2015, 11:59 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

QUOTE(Paragon @ Apr 26 2015, 04:36 PM) *

Thanks for the kind words DD!

I came out to Paragon this afternoon and grabbed the digital calipers. The 73.25.01.011.1 gland nut is 2.08" or 52.88mm on the outside of the threads. Sounds like you received some mystery gland nuts some how. We'll get two of the correct nuts our via Priority Mail and that should solve the problem. We'll include a call tag to bring those back...I'm curious to see what they are!

Okay cool. Have them include tracking for me please. Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:54 AM