Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> new car, first post
arsprod
post May 14 2015, 11:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,519
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Newbie on the 914 board - just bought a '74 2.0 from my uncle (who bought the car new). It's actually in transit from Florida and supposed to arrive tomorrow. In anticipation of its arrival (and my desire to get it on the road asap) I'm looking for some guidance.

The car's been sitting. He started it monthly and let the oil come to temp but other than moving onto the transporter it's really not been run much. I'm planning to change the oil right away and probably flushing brake fluid, inspecting pads, and replacing ignition parts in the next couple weeks. Anything else I should be aware of? I'm not unfamiliar with VW engines but it's been awhile and never owned a 914 (though lusted for years!). Thanks in advance.

Aaron in Indianapolis
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 14 2015, 12:08 PM
Post #2

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Top quote Cap'n Ron, "Take her out for a spin. If anything is going to happen, it's going to happen out there!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Seriously, change the fluids, you'll probably need to change out all the vacuum lines and definitely the fuel lines under the tank, in the engine compartment and the tunnel. Check brakes for functionality and that none of the calipers are frozen up. Check for rust in the longs, beneath the battery, floor behind the seats and floor beneath the pedal cluster. That will keep you busy for a few hours. Then report back.
+Quote Post
type47
post May 14 2015, 12:09 PM
Post #3

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(arsprod @ May 14 2015, 09:41 AM) *

Anything else I should be aware of?

Old fuel lines that crack and possibly leak (whoops, 76-914 mentioned that...). Be prepared for a deluge of welcome to the world and this thread is worthless w/o pix (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) So I'll start

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
green914
post May 14 2015, 12:16 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,874
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) have fun!
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post May 14 2015, 01:26 PM
Post #5

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) enjoy and ask a lot of questions! Just be careful of what you get in return for a answer! A lot of ass hattery around here!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

+Quote Post
Stacks914
post May 14 2015, 01:31 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,582
Region Association: None

+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 14 2015, 01:34 PM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post May 14 2015, 01:36 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

Welcome to the madness. We are glad you are one of us! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
arsprod
post May 14 2015, 01:45 PM
Post #9

Wow, I'm under/overwhelmed by the welcome! Sounds like nuthin' special to be worried about other than a 41 year old car (and I've read the battery box horror stories). I promise to add pics when I can - the ones I have are of it in a garage when I went to look it over, with layers of dust - not presentable for 914 connoisseurs. Glad to be a teener... I think!?
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post May 14 2015, 02:34 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,635
Region Association: Canada

Clean and repack your bearings as well, if the tires are quite old don't trust them. A big welcome to you, this is the very best place to be for a 914 owner!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
+Quote Post
Big Len
post May 14 2015, 02:40 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Bet you can't wait. All my uncles had crap cars.

Best of luck
+Quote Post
Vysoc
post May 14 2015, 03:25 PM
Post #12

Vysoc

Member No.: 10,737
Region Association: South East States

You are in for the time of your life, I just wish I could see the reaction on your face the first time you get her up to speed and enjoy the handling!! Check your TIRES!!!

Enjoy, listen to this group as they are the best in the world for support, information and education as it pertains to this great, epic sportscar.

The one thing I would say is be prepared to be patient when you shift with the Porsche 901 Transmission, most are fickle, and prefer a pause between gears, this is not a Honda gearbox! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
That said the gears are set well for low horsepower momentum driving and you will love the whole experience of driving this gem!!

Again welcome to a great club (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
earossi
post May 14 2015, 04:34 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 13,878

Welcome. The 914 is pretty much a cult car these days; and a very active cult at that! Road safety should be your first focus. So, look for leaks and condition of tires and brakes. If the tires are more than 4 years old, look at them closely for check cracking. If you see any cracking on any single tire......replace all four tires. A tire failure at speed is the last thing you want to have to deal with.

When changing fluids, do not forget to change out the transmission lube. Often overlooked and it will affect shifting..

And, as mentioned, the #1 enemy of 914's is structural rust. So, pay attention to the advice given earlier. Rust in a fender is unsightly and hard to stomach. But, rust in a longitudinal can be life threatening if the long fails catestropohically at speed.

And, lastly, since you live in Indianapolis, think about coming to the BBQ that Garold Shaffer sponsors every year. He is in northern Indiana. You'll meet a great group of 914 owners at that event. The BBQ takes place in August and Garold has an invitation in a thread on this forum. Look for it to get the specifics.

I attended for the first time last year and there were about 20 nice cars there, and an even larger group of owners who did not bring cars (I didn't). This year, I'll bring my /6 conversion car.

Have fun!
+Quote Post
arsprod
post May 14 2015, 05:38 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(earossi @ May 14 2015, 06:34 PM) *

Welcome. The 914 is pretty much a cult car these days; and a very active cult at that! Road safety should be your first focus. So, look for leaks and condition of tires and brakes. If the tires are more than 4 years old, look at them closely for check cracking. If you see any cracking on any single tire......replace all four tires. A tire failure at speed is the last thing you want to have to deal with.

Cult!? Holy crap, what have I gotten into? More great info guys and I'm taking notes. I planned to replace the tires straight away, waiting to see what's on it. At the risk of starting a "what oil do you use thread" is there a tire or tires that are common? I know the stock size isn't readily available, thinking I'll go 195/60/15 so interested in brands/models.
+Quote Post
somd914
post May 14 2015, 05:44 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Agree with fluid changes, tuneup, brake and tire check as first order of business.

Also agree that rust in the longs can be a killer, typically right side suffers thanks to the battery. Pull the rocker panels to clean out debris and for a good look at the longs.

I'd also get rid of the gas in the tank and fill her up with fresh. I know it was mentioned to examine your fuel lines including those in the tunnel, and if original they are plastic and prone to fail in their old age - plan on installing stainless tunnel lines as a needed upgrade.

Lots to do potentially, but once you start driving her you'll figure out what is good, what is in need of repair at some point, and what needs to be repaired right away.

Not only does he throw a BBQ, Garold is a good source for used parts, and Brad Mayuer of 914 Limited (and a member here) over in Illinois has a good reputation for repairs . And the list goes on and on for members who are also vendors - you'll learn them in time.

Welcome to the madness!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 14 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #16

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Check the tank for surface rust also. It will clog the fuel line screen in the bottom of the tank. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) and get some pictures! We like pictures! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
raw1298
post May 14 2015, 09:04 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 10,148
Region Association: Northern California

+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post May 14 2015, 09:39 PM
Post #18

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Another 914 running in Indiana.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) welcome to the madness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Lots of great people and help here on the world.

Not only does he throw a BBQ, Garold is a good source for used parts, and Brad Mayuer of 914 Limited (and a member here) over in Illinois has a good reputation for repairs .

I host a BBQ every year. This year will be August 15th. I'm right up I65 in Portage.
Click HERE for more info.
+Quote Post
cary
post May 15 2015, 07:36 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Welcome.

My uncle was a hot rodder in the 50's. That's where I got my interest in cars and taking things apart. It was a stretch for my dad to change the oil.
R.I.P. both of them.

+Quote Post
arsprod
post May 15 2015, 08:48 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 14 2015, 11:39 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Another 914 running in Indiana.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) welcome to the madness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Lots of great people and help here on the world.

Not only does he throw a BBQ, Garold is a good source for used parts, and Brad Mayuer of 914 Limited (and a member here) over in Illinois has a good reputation for repairs .

I host a BBQ every year. This year will be August 15th. I'm right up I65 in Portage.
Click HERE for more info.

On the calendar Garold, thanks! That gives me a target date to get everything sorted out enough for that long of a drive!!
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:07 PM