Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bit by a Tiger
Bulldog9
post Aug 29 2015, 02:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Yeah Macan is Tiger in Indonesian or something like that. Went to the Dealer the other day to try to run down a few parts and found my next vehicle. As the 912 gets close to completion, I've decided it is silly to have all these cars, and as much as I like the M3, I'm really not a BMW guy. I am also spread pretty thin with all and really want to spend all my 'wrenching' time getting the 912 perfect. It's been on my mind for a while, but nothing really 'met the need' Untill I saw the Macan. Will replace the Commander, M3, Cutlass and Saab, all going to a good cause...... I'm chafing at the idea of a car payment again, but hey, I haven't had one in 5+ years and when I consolidate my insurance payments and gas and repairs and maintenance on the departed 4, will not be that big of a deal.

All the ones in the dealer lots are bloated up with gizmos, I'm going for the S with the Spyder Rims, Sunroof, Trailer Hitch and Roof Rack. Is a 4 month wait for the order. Trying to decide on color, but will likely go Black/Black.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 29 2015, 03:31 PM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I love the Macan and would like to get one for my wife after the first of the year. She wants to dump the 4S and get an SUV.... I have owned one black car before and will never ever own another. Just to much cleaning to keep it decent. I am hoping by the time we are ready to buy they will be more plentiful and hopefully I will be able to find a loaded S or even a turbo for a fair price with <10K on the odometer. Porsche hit a home run with these little SUV's.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 29 2015, 04:42 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Very popular with the SoCal Porsche crowd - 6-8 were in display at the San Diego Concours last weekend, & several at our OC Concours in June, including this beautiful blue one....

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Several longtime 911/etc. Porsche owners I know are saying it's "...the best Porsche they've ever owned!"

If you'll be towing with it, then you may want to wait to order the Macan Deisel which is due out late 2015 ore early 2016 (they're out in Europe, so look for the UK specs, which should be close to ours).

The new 2016 Cayenne S is using the Macan Turbo S's 3.6L V6 TT gasser, & the 2016 Cayenne Diesel is the same as the Macan's - so it's engine specs should be the same or close.

We looked at the Macan S/TS/D as an option for our tow vehicle, but my wife wanted more cargo room of the Cayenne, so we're looking for a nice low mile used 2006-10~11 Cayenne S gasser V8. The Cay-TDI's didn't come out til 2013 & are still way up there in price at 2-3+ x the price of a gas Cay-S + higher maintenance costs, so we're sticking with the older V8s for a 3rd car to sit a lot of the time.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 29 2015, 11:34 PM
Post #4

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

That blue it quite nice. I like the Cayenne too; it is just to big for her. I would like the Macan, I am sure. Good luck in your Cayenne hunt - lots to choose from.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
snakemain
post Aug 30 2015, 07:48 AM
Post #5

Ronin Member

Member No.: 11,232
Region Association: None

Love my black/black Macan S. And it'll pull a teener on a Uhaul trailer like nothing. Got mine with nice seats, air suspension and some go-fast goodies. Didn't get the torque vectoring, but that might be nice if you really want to get sporty. I stayed with all season tires too because of snow and ice here.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 30 2015, 11:02 AM
Post #6

TMI....

QUOTE(snakemain @ Aug 30 2015, 06:48 AM) *

Love my black/black Macan S. And it'll pull a teener on a Uhaul trailer like nothing. Got mine with nice seats, air suspension and some go-fast goodies. Didn't get the torque vectoring, but that might be nice if you really want to get sporty. I stayed with all season tires too because of snow and ice here.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif) ... of yours! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Great choices all around - & although I like the look of a well kept black car to look at - I agree with Cairo that it's a PITA to keep clean inside & out, having judged black-on-black concours cars ..... every friggin speck shows like a spotlight! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Make sure to check all your weights when towing - hitch wt., trailer wt., axle wts. F & R, gross vehicle & gross combined wts. when you're towing. IIRC the Macan is rated for something like 4400# trailer & 400-450# hitch wt., so the typical steel car hauler + 2270-ish 914 can quickly exceed those limits. You may have to get your own aluminum hauler to keep within limits.

The Cayenne's 7716# TGVW & 770# HW was another reason we leaned that way, not so much for the restored 1960 Avion T20 we take to vintage trailer events at about 3500# wet/loaded & 542# HW (with Hensley Cub WD/AS hitch as 70# of that), but for the same 914 + hauler issue, since I'll rent the hauler in all probability.

We're looking for either an `06 Cay-S Titanium Ed. in the 6 month only Iceland Silver (a slivery light blue metallic, as in the cut-n-paste pic I did for my wife below - yes I need to polish it up for the Cay-S!) - BTW the Titanium Ed. was 1st half 07 MY fill-in until 08's released early in Dec. 07; or else an `08-10 Cay-S in Blue, Silver, Grey Met. or Jarama Beige Met., etc. & maybe an `11 if they drop enough in prices this Fall/Winter.

2006 Cayenne S Titanium Ed. in Iceland Silver cut in with our Avion T20:

Attached Image
^ cleaned this image up with a cropped version, sorry - I uploaded the wrong one! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

1960 Avion Sales Brochure Pic of a shiny "New for 1961 MY" T20 with 1960 Olds Super 88 Stationwagon TV, which may be our T20, it being #2 off the line:

Attached Image

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Aug 30 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #7

Nice Aero, always wanted one of those.

I'll be towing occasionally, mostly a small utility trailer, car carrier with the 912, etc.

I ALWAYS say I will buy a color other than black, but end up buying black.... But if I'm dropping this much coin, I want it to be exactly what I want.

Definate NO's
Agate Gray Metallic
Impulse Red Metallic
Palladium Metallic
Sapphire Blue Metallic
Dark Blue Metallic
Rhodium Silver Metallic

Possibles
Carrera White Metallic - Black
Jet Black Metallic - Beige/Black
Mahogany Metallic - Beige/Black

I'm interested in the Carrera White with Carrera 21" Rims and side blades in body color, But I will likely go for the Mahogany or Black.

Went back to the dealer today, and darn it they were open........ Spent a bit of time going over the car, very nice, well put together. Compared it side by side with a Q 5, Cayenne, Allroad, GLK, GLA, the only one that came close to holding my attention was the $150K Cayenne Turbo..... Yeah........ lol

Dealer really anted me to test drive but I resisted, don't want to set the hok yet, I have a plan, lol. The car is very interesting, there is plenty of room for 4 passengers my size (5'11, 190) cargo area is decent, not great, but seats fold mostly flat. I as VERY surprised that under the rear package tray was a compact spare similar to that used in the old 911's.....

This was the one point of comedy, when I was shocked to see the spare and made it clear, the dealer said "yes they take the air out of it to make it lighter" LOL I smiled and said WOW really? lol.

The Heat and AC controls were interesting, as was the multi function roller dials on the steering wheel that allows you to call up the NAV in the right hand gauge. VERY cool.
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Aug 30 2015, 04:44 PM
Post #8

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

I am very happy with what you ordered. Make it two!

+Quote Post
snakemain
post Aug 30 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #9

Ronin Member

Exterior pics of mine. Got some pics of those excellent seats here somewhere...

Attached Image

Attached Image

Ordered it in June '14, got it in October. No problems so far. Only thing I could possibly complain about is that the paint on these things is thin. Rock chips go right through. Guess there's a reason everybody puts on the protective film.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Aug 30 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #10

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

SUV's.....pfttttttt

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 30 2015, 11:27 PM
Post #11

TMI....

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 30 2015, 05:57 PM) *

SUV's.....pfttttttt

But Bill, they run like a 911 with a backseat.

You're close enough to Atlanta to go by the Porsche Experience at the PCNA HQ by Hartsfield Airport to take a track run in one! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) .... then see if it's still pffft!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

We in SoCal have to wait til 2016 or 17 for our Porsche Experience to be done! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I had that opinion too, but then when you need to tow something or haul around 5 folks, why not a Porsche!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

And like our 914s did in the 70's, the Cayennes & now the Macans have saved Porsche's bacon, so that they can afford to race 919s & build 918s, better 991/981s, etc. ... maybe even a 914 Redux if they ever get smart & see that new Alfa 4C middie in their biz-rearview-mirror stealing customers!!

Steve - Apparently the Macans also out perform the cousin Audi S5/Q5 by a long margin! Why not paint to color match?? Pick your own!

snakemain - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) .... but still - no black for me! It's also way too hot in the Southwest for black.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Aug 31 2015, 08:32 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 18,106

I worked for years as a valet parking attendant and the Cayenne was likely my favorite car I've driven. More so than 911s, Maseratis, Ferraris, etc. I loved those things for some reason.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 31 2015, 09:55 AM
Post #13

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

How much $ does one of those set you back? To include anty taxes.
+Quote Post
snakemain
post Aug 31 2015, 06:01 PM
Post #14

Ronin Member

Mine optioned up was right at 70. Add state taxes to that. Spensive, but worth every penny IMO.
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Aug 31 2015, 07:34 PM
Post #15

You know I ALMOST went with the Mahogany metallic for the 912 when I was having it painted but went with the factory color. Somehow I dont think the Macan would look good in Bitter Chocolate.....

I'm going easy on the option list, right now before any discount I may be able to negotiate, I'm at 59K, which makes me want to choke, but doing the math, by consolidating my herd (down to the 912 & Macan) the insurance, gas, maintenance and upkeep, not to mention sheer time makes it more reasonable.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 31 2015, 09:36 PM
Post #16

TMI....

I just got the new Consumer Reports in the mail today, & they've the Macan in their top cars! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I looked at a Macan S last March using their online option selector "Build your own ...." & for what I really wanted/needed & without the fluff options the factory adds on to boost their bottom line - it was in the $54,000-ish - with the tow option & the extra BS you're forced to buy in order to get the factory rear camera.

So it is possible to get them at a somewhat reasonable price ... for a Porsche!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:00 PM