Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Couple of Ultra-Low Production 914 Questions
Tom_T
post Feb 10 2016, 09:25 AM
Post #1

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

So in looking at the 914 Production Numbers Chart in the 914 Info section on here, at the link below - a couple of questions come to mind....

http://www.914world.com/specs/productionnumbers.php

1. IIRC the 2 914-8's were produced in different years, with the one built for Porsche first, then the one for Piech a year or two later.
.... Is that not correct? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

2. What was the deal with the sole 914-6 produced in 1975? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
.... I thought that -6 production ended in 72 MY (aside from the test run of 916s).

TIA for anyone with the facts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Feb 10 2016, 11:08 AM
Post #2

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

the 914-8 for Ferry Porsche (914.006) was a gift to his 60th birthday => he got it on September 19, 1969

the 914-8 for Ferdinand Piech (914.111) was - according to the "Das Große VW-Porsche Buch" - built in the same year, but a little earlier that Ferry's car

the 914-6 from 1975 was built because of a special order from a (special?) customer
it's a wide body car with 75-bumpers
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 10 2016, 12:29 PM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Gustl @ Feb 10 2016, 09:08 AM) *

the 914-8 for Ferry Porsche (914.006) was a gift to his 60th birthday => he got it on September 19, 1969

the 914-8 for Ferdinand Piech (914.111) was - according to the "Das Große VW-Porsche Buch" - built in the same year, but a little earlier that Ferry's car

the 914-6 from 1975 was built because of a special order from a (special?) customer
it's a wide body car with 75-bumpers

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 10 2016, 12:35 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Thanx Wolfgang! .... & for corroborating it Andy!

I think maybe I'd read that the presentation date on the later 914-8 was in a different year (year later) - but then this chart is for build dates! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Geee.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ....if they only still had some "Bodies in White" - just think what they might build for a "special customer" today!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Danke/Thanx Again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 10 2016, 12:39 PM
Post #5

TMI....

.... And Wolfgang, did you ever get your California DMV history for your green CA -6 car that you wanted?

If not yet, just go very soon to the Cal-DMV website at that link I sent you shortly after you got the car over there, & submit the request.

I think they drop it off their records after not registered in one of the 50 states for something like 7 years (maybe less) - you don't want to wait too long.

Good Luck on that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 10 2016, 12:42 PM
Post #6

Resident German

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 10 2016, 10:35 AM) *
I think maybe I'd read that the presentation date on the later 914-8 was in a different year (year later) - but then this chart is for build dates! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This page lists the surviving prototypes in the order they were build:
http://www.914world.com/specs/prototypes.php

Note that the VIN numbers are not in order. You have to look at the internal project numbers to see the order in which the cars were build.

The project number also carried over into the GT race car production.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 10 2016, 12:49 PM
Post #7

TMI....

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 10 2016, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 10 2016, 10:35 AM) *

This page lists the surviving prototypes in the order they were build:
http://www.914world.com/specs/prototypes.php

Note that the VIN numbers are not in order. You have to look at the internal project numbers to see the order in which the cars were build.

The project number also carried over into the GT race car production.

Thanx Andy,

I actually had seen that list when you posted about it a while back, but it's currently "locked" on the hard drive of my currently inoperable last laptop! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

It might also be on Jeff Bolwsby's website docs too.

Whatever happened to that prototype car that used to be here in SoCal, rusting in somebody's backyard? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

IIRC it was your former partner on this website, or someone you knew.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 10 2016, 12:51 PM
Post #8

Resident German

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 10 2016, 10:49 AM) *
Whatever happened to that prototype car that used to be here in SoCal, rusting in somebody's backyard? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

It's on the list. Click on the link, read the page.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Feb 10 2016, 12:52 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

I have an article on that 75 914/6 somewhere in my collection.

Is it current ownership and whereabouts known?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 10 2016, 12:58 PM
Post #10

TMI....

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 10 2016, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 10 2016, 10:49 AM) *

It's on the list. Click on the link, read the page.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I did read it before posting, but wasn't sure that was the same one, since it looks tan there on the trailer.

IIRC the one I'm thinking of was green (Irish?), but not sure if it was a /4 or -6. It also had a back story IIRC that it was found in some little old lady's backyard & she didn't know what it was nor worth. That may have also been one of the earliest production cars, instead of a prototype (I'm not sure now).

Somebody needs to get them & restore them properly - maybe even Porsche itself, then they could display one at each of their Classics & Tech Centers around the world!

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 10 2016, 01:05 PM
Post #11

Resident German

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 10 2016, 10:58 AM) *
IIRC the one I'm thinking of was green (Irish?), but not sure if it was a /4 or -6. It also had a back story IIRC that it was found in some little old lady's backyard & she didn't know what it was nor worth.

Same car, not green ...
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 10 2016, 01:33 PM
Post #12

TMI....

OK, Thanx/Danke Andy.

Ferg, if that 75 914-6 article is out of copyright or otherwise can legally be posted on here, that would be interesting to post the pix of it (with proper credits to the author & publisher), which is probably legal even if under copyright if for non-profit "educational purposes" - which this site essentially is! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Otherwise a few of the key points from it would be cool! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

I also notice Ferg, a lack of 914 in your car list, so you need to get one - even a rusty parts car as statuary in your yard would suffice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Feb 10 2016, 03:07 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

I have to dig through my stuff, IIRC it was a few pages out of one of the larger hardcover coffee table Porsche books. Most of that is deep storage so it may be a bit.

Yeah, lack of a 914 is disturbing. I'm being patient as I want a keeper. As soon as my brother decides to pay me for the 86 Carrera and I have a garage space back, I will get more serious.

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 10 2016, 03:42 PM
Post #14

TMI....

QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 10 2016, 01:07 PM) *

I have to dig through my stuff, IIRC it was a few pages out of one of the larger hardcover coffee table Porsche books. Most of that is deep storage so it may be a bit.

Yeah, lack of a 914 is disturbing. I'm being patient as I want a keeper. As soon as my brother decides to pay me for the 86 Carrera and I have a garage space back, I will get more serious.

Well as you saw Ferg, there might be an Adriadic Blue -6 available in the UK at some point! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Seriously though, toolguy/Dave has that -6 he's helping his buddy's widow sell, which was a SoCal car originally, then stored when moved to Chicago. Dave is in East San Diego/El Cajon area, but I don't know where the car is now. I have no idea on its price, nor have I seen it myself, but I have judged Dave's own personal silver/black `70 -6 resto, which is excellent! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

BTW - I thought you were keeping Pat's 86!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Good Luck on the search! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Feb 10 2016, 03:47 PM
Post #15

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 10 2016, 07:39 PM) *

.... And Wolfgang, did you ever get your California DMV history for your green CA -6 car that you wanted?

Tom, I decided against it, because I won't feel very comfortable sending that much money overseas in an envelope. If they would accept MasterCard or similar, it would have been much easier ...

+Quote Post
Ferg
post Feb 10 2016, 04:33 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 10 2016, 02:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 10 2016, 01:07 PM) *

Well as you saw Ferg, there might be an Adriadic Blue -6 available in the UK at some point! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Seriously though, toolguy/Dave has that -6 he's helping his buddy's widow sell, which was a SoCal car originally, then stored when moved to Chicago. Dave is in East San Diego/El Cajon area, but I don't know where the car is now. I have no idea on its price, nor have I seen it myself, but I have judged Dave's own personal silver/black `70 -6 resto, which is excellent! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

BTW - I thought you were keeping Pat's 86!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Good Luck on the search! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

I'm keeping Dan Callicot's (xitspd) Brown 1975 Carrera, that is the keeper.

I had briefly Pat's orange 73.5 911T

The 86 came from a buddy last year, I didn't need another ass dragger, but I wanted one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) . I'll use if a few years before it stays in the family but moves to Michigan. It was to nice of a car to pass up.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 10 2016, 05:24 PM
Post #17

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Attached Image
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 10 2016, 05:24 PM
Post #18

****************************************************************************************************

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 10 2016, 05:25 PM
Post #19

TMI....

QUOTE(Gustl @ Feb 10 2016, 01:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 10 2016, 07:39 PM) *

Tom, I decided against it, because I won't feel very comfortable sending that much money overseas in an envelope. If they would accept MasterCard or similar, it would have been much easier ...

Wolfgang - would they not take your check?

I think they ask for a check in case they don't have the records, then they can send it back uncashed - instead of having to refund a credit card payment already deposited - which could take the state a while knowing them as I do!

Maybe you could send the form with a check & a note to call you if they need a credit card instead if the records are there, & then send it insured with DHL to the Cal-DMV office direct.

PM or email me if you change your mind & need any help with it.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 10 2016, 05:32 PM
Post #20

Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:39 AM